DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   When is multi-region NOT multi-region? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/340062-when-multi-region-not-multi-region.html)

Terry Casey May 16th 12 03:58 PM

When is multi-region NOT multi-region?

In article , e
says...

In message ,
writes
On 11 May,
Gary wrote:

that's not true. it tells you what to expect. there is no such thing as
405 50 NTSC.

The first colour TV I saw was 405 50 NTSC (an experimental setup some years
ago.)

My mind wanders back to 1964 when I used to come home from school to
watch the colour test transmissions at 4:00 PM every weekday on the BBC.
They were 20 minutes long and comprised, IIRC, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
with John Wayne split into 20 minute segments and a series of very
interesting documentary films which included the moving of the temple at
Aswan and building an oil rig in the jungle.

Most of the films that were used for these test transmissions were
either promotional films from the likes of Shell or public information
films. A few feature films appeared from time to time - all from RKO, as
far as I can ascertain - and often only excerpts.

The reason that longer films were split was that there was only one
colour telecine machine at Lime Grove, so each reel had to be
transmitted individually with colour bars and/or slides in between.

Some that I recall a The Home-Made Car (BP), Hook, Line and Sinker
(Esso), Beauty in Trust (National Trust), Coupe des Alpes (Shell), The
Captive River (Shell), Colour Television (Mullard), Prospect for
Plastics (Shell), A Question Of Springing (Shell), The Hydraulic
Transmission of Power (Shell-Mex/BP), Evoluon (Philips), A Journey into
the Weald of Kent (National Benzole), On the Safe Side (UKAEA), Overhaul
(British Transport Films), The Power to Fly (Shell), Skyhook (BP), The
Rival World (Shell) Diavolezza (BP), Crown of Glass (Shell).

The full list is he
http://www.testcardcircle.org.uk/ttcfatoz.html

--

Terry

Frank Kelly May 17th 12 08:16 AM

When is multi-region NOT multi-region?

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article , e
says...

In message ,
writes
On 11 May,
Gary wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Terry, my mind only remembers a few highlights nowadays
:o)

The thing I didn't mention which was relevant to the discussion was that
the test transmissions were on the 405 line setup and not the 625 line
which came in later on in 1964.

I started work in 1967 and joined the television trade just as colour
sets became available. One of my jobs as an apprentice was assisting the
engineers with installations as it took 2 men to even lift the sets in
those days. While the engineer "installed" the set, I was able to drink
tea and chat with a lot of well known people and celebrities as they
were the only ones who could afford a colour set in those days. I still
have all the autographed pictures.
--
Frank Kelly

Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] May 17th 12 12:39 PM

When is multi-region NOT multi-region?

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:58:11 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

Some that I recall a The Home-Made Car (BP), Hook, Line and Sinker
(Esso), Beauty in Trust (National Trust), Coupe des Alpes (Shell), The
Captive River (Shell), Colour Television (Mullard), Prospect for
Plastics (Shell), A Question Of Springing (Shell), The Hydraulic
Transmission of Power (Shell-Mex/BP), Evoluon (Philips), A Journey into
the Weald of Kent (National Benzole), On the Safe Side (UKAEA), Overhaul
(British Transport Films), The Power to Fly (Shell), Skyhook (BP), The
Rival World (Shell) Diavolezza (BP), Crown of Glass (Shell).

The full list is he http://www.testcardcircle.org.uk/ttcfatoz.html

Without knowing the names of them, I recognise so many of those from
the descriptions. Fascinating material and many of them still have
interest.

2BSur2Bsur May 21st 12 09:36 AM

When is multi-region NOT multi-region?

On 10/05/12 21:19, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:14:53 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
Can someone explain this to me? Is there a code to enter to allow the
machine to play other regions?

There often is (but not always). When I buy things like that, I Google
them first with the keyword 'hack' or similar to find out if it's
possible to enable multi-region.

Related question; UK PAL is what, 625 lines @ 50fps, and US NTSC is 525
lines @ 60fps - so as well as being unlocked, does the DVD player also
have to be capable of scaling and compensating for different frame sizes
and rates on the fly?

Note that your fps above refers to fields, not frames (as the picture is
interlaced).

Most players will just output at the relevant frame rate and leave the
display to deal with decoding it. Even the last couple of generations of CRT
TVs could usually handle any standard input signal. Some DVD players will
output a "PAL60" signal which is a non-standard 60hz 525 line picture but
with PAL colour subcarrier rather than NTSC (PAL was a better quality system
than NTSC).

Some modern players of course output upscaled pictures over HDMI or component
video, and some will output a 480p picture from an NTSC disc.

TV shows etc. recorded onto a DVD will typically have been shot originally in
50i (PAL) or 60i (NTSC). But movies are typically shown at 24 frames per sec
at the cinema.

When movies are shown on the 50Hz PAL system (either broadcast or on DVD),
they are usually sped up to 25 frames per second, to fit in with the PAL
frame rate. This results in slightly higher-pitch sound and a slightly
shorter run-time.

But on NTSC DVDs movies are typically recorded at 24frames per second and the
player will insert additional frames to be able to output a 30 frames per
second (60Hz) NTSC interlace signal. This can cause significant motion judder.

Many modern TVs will accept a 24 frames per second progressive scan input,
and upscaling DVD players will often have a 24 fps 1080p playback mode. In
this mode, the DVD plays back at the original 24fps frame rate.

Gary[_11_] May 21st 12 10:23 AM

On 21/05/2012 09:36, 2BSur2Bsur wrote:
[...]

I refer t my original reply. a lot of region ! dvd players will not
handle PAL in any format. or region code.
Gary