Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default H&S gone mad

Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not for
a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and
the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if
the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but
not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football match
*and* not having to work - and still complaining!

That's all the insults for now ARW. LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on
and the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on
site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but
not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

That's all the insults for now ARW. LOL

Did I mention it's double time on a Saturday? And the coffee was free.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2012 22:54, ARWadsworth wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on
and the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on
site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but
not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

That's all the insults for now ARW. LOL

Did I mention it's double time on a Saturday? And the coffee was free.

and next week is the women's under 25s all naturist team...

(Adam is disconnecting the live to the showers as we speak ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:54:24 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on
and the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on
site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but
not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

That's all the insults for now ARW. LOL

Did I mention it's double time on a Saturday? And the coffee was free.

I bet it was just instant coffee - not the real thing. :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not
for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to do
with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay out if
someone gets injured in the dark.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on
and the rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on
site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but
not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to
do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay
out if someone gets injured in the dark.

But I did not have to stay on duty for the massive **** up they all had in
the bar after the match. And the lights could fail in the bar. And the
floodlights stayed on for another 2 hours after the match to allow the
groundsmen to repaint the pitch and change the goalposts in preparation for
todays rugby match.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and
the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not
for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to do
with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay out if
someone gets injured in the dark.

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure when
the home team was losing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on
and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if
the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match
but not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing
to do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to
pay out if someone gets injured in the dark.

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure
when the home team was losing?

There was no home team.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Why would the number of people there make any difference to whether
something dangerous goes wrong?

It doesn’t, but it obviously makes a difference to whether needs
to be an electrician there to fix it as quickly as possible.

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not
for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Tonight I have been at work because there was a football
match on and the rules state that there has to be a standby
electrician on site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match
but not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to do
with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay out if
someone gets injured in the dark.

Why would anyone get injured in the dark without an electrician present ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

Some of my most boring working days have occured because H&S insisted
that someone qualified must be in attendance at a particular time. When
I worked not far from you I had to spend a week on nights because it was
decided that a system designer had to be in attendance in case something
went wrong with the motorway control systems. I spend most of that week
sleeping in the canteen and getting paid ****loads of money for doing
so. I've had similar days and nights in places where SCADA systems had
just been installed and for newly-opened sections of infrastructure.

On one occasion I got double-time pay for being a useless spare part. At
one level it's very annoying. At another, I laughed all the way to the
bank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2012 10:44, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and
the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match but not
for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to do
with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay out if
someone gets injured in the dark.

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure
when the home team was losing?

I would expect it to be the FA, although probably more to do with
concerns over another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster in darkness.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 06/05/2012 10:44, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match
on and the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site
if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match
but not for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing
to do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want
to pay out if someone gets injured in the dark.

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure
when the home team was losing?

I would expect it to be the FA, although probably more to do with
concerns over another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster in darkness.

Possibly. The FA rules did apply to the alcohol rules. ie no alcohol when in
view of the pitch.

And I can understand the need for an electrician in a league match. There
would be bad publicity if the match was abandoned, extra costs for the
supporters buying new tickets, accusations of match fixing, lots of people
in the ground etc

But when 22 lads rent the stadium out for their own private match common
sense says "we really don't need the electrician". If the lights fail then
"tough ****". And how often do floodlights fail?

Also you are hardly likely to have an Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster with
less than 100 people occupying a 15,000 capacity all seated stadium
(actually 50 of them stay in the bar). I've seen more people at wedding and
funeral dos and they do not have standby electricians

To be fair, if the lights go out they still go out even with the electrician
sat in the control room. The only difference having an electrician on site
makes is that there is a chance the game can be resumed.

The stadium has emergency lighting, a 3 hour UPS (not for the floodlights)
and a back up generator.

It could be the stadiums own policy and not the FAs, but IMHO someone has
taken H&S and the rules and regulations too far.

I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
: charles wrote
: ARWadsworth wrote
:
: Tonight I have been at work because there was a football
: match on and the rules state that there has to be a standby
: electrician on site if the floodlights are on.
:
: I can understand the need for an electrician for a league
match
: but not for a private match with about 50 spectators.
Madness.
:
: The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have
nothing to do
: with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to
pay out if
: someone gets injured in the dark.
:
: Why would anyone get injured in the dark without an electrician
present ?

Sticking their fingers in the fuse box to sort it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2012 12:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 06/05/2012 10:44, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In , ARWadsworth
wrote:
[...]

Was there not a circuit breaker somewhere labelled "big light" or
similar? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

Was there not a circuit breaker somewhere labelled "big light" or
similar? ;-)

No idea. I sat in the control room drinking coffee.

I do know that each floodlight has it's own distribution board and I know
where they are.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

How much extra was dennis paid extra for being a useless spare part?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Small correction
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes

I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

At a guess, about 128kW so 15quid an hour (give or take).

Hope the security's good, that's quite a bit of copper.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Him & Her wrote
Rod Speed wrote
: charles wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Tonight I have been at work because there was a football
match on and the rules state that there has to be a standby
electrician on site if the floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league
match but not for a private match with about 50 spectators.
Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing
to do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want
to pay out if someone gets injured in the dark.

Why would anyone get injured in the dark without an electrician present ?

Sticking their fingers in the fuse box to sort it

Hell of a lot cheaper to have a decent battery backed light there.

There must be those there already to mark the emergency exits internally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes

I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

At a guess, about 128kW so 15quid an hour (give or take).

Hope the security's good, that's quite a bit of copper.

120 lamps of unknown wattage (30 lamps per flood light)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

I believe your uncorrected version was probably correct ARW, as a "****" is
generally rather useful 'organ' - wouldn't you agree? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Only if the arms that belong to the **** can cook, clean and iron.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

How much extra was dennis paid extra for being a useless ****?

Small correction

One suspects that dennis has to pay his employers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Did I mention it's double time on a Saturday? And the coffee was free.

Sod coffee; what about the Bovril and mince pies?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

At a guess, about 128kW so 15quid an hour (give or take).

Hope the security's good, that's quite a bit of copper.

120 lamps of unknown wattage (30 lamps per flood light)

You're assuming that the pitch has four corners.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2012 23:12, Bill Wright wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
I wonder how much the floodlights cost to run:-)?

At a guess, about 128kW so 15quid an hour (give or take).

Hope the security's good, that's quite a bit of copper.

120 lamps of unknown wattage (30 lamps per flood light)

You're assuming that the pitch has four corners.

It has, but H&S insisted they be rounded ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 May 2012 09:34:54 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing

do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to

pay
out if someone gets injured in the dark.

But I did not have to stay on duty for the massive **** up they all had
in the bar after the match. And the lights could fail in the bar. And
the floodlights stayed on for another 2 hours after the match to allow
the groundsmen to repaint the pitch and change the goalposts in
preparation for todays rugby match.

So the requirement was only to be there when the flood lights were on
*and* there was "a match" being played? Rather than a simple "if the
floodlights are on you are required to be there"?

I guess that if the flood lights are a significant load on the supply
they might be worried about protection in the distribution going pop
when combined with the load of a fully occupied and operational
stadium.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've been
at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk any of
them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much more
fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes, not 2 hours
of boredom.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've been
at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk any of
them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much more
fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes, not 2 hours
of boredom.

I'm extremely keen on football, in fact the most recent match I went to was
in 1958. The most recent match I watched on TV was the 66 world cup final.
I'm a real fan. I'll bet our rodney has a programme from the 1066 debacle
between Sheffield Wednesday and the Bayeux Tapestry at Stamford Bridge (he
was prolly there).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've been
at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk any of
them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much more
fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes, not 2 hours
of boredom.

The *only* sporting fixture I have attended in entirity (apart from school
sportsday) was an american football match at Wembley (mate had spare
ticket).

Try that for boredom... 2 minutes of action, then they huddle and yap about
it!

This is why cheeleaders, beer and hotdogs are important - and you probably
cannot do the lastone here...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 09:34:54 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing

do with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to

pay
out if someone gets injured in the dark.

But I did not have to stay on duty for the massive **** up they all
had in the bar after the match. And the lights could fail in the
bar. And the floodlights stayed on for another 2 hours after the
match to allow the groundsmen to repaint the pitch and change the
goalposts in preparation for todays rugby match.

So the requirement was only to be there when the flood lights were on
*and* there was "a match" being played? Rather than a simple "if the
floodlights are on you are required to be there"?

Yes. But league matches require you to be there even if the floods are not
going to be used.

I guess that if the flood lights are a significant load on the supply
they might be worried about protection in the distribution going pop
when combined with the load of a fully occupied and operational
stadium.

Less than 100 people there and at least 10 stewards on duty:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've been
at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk any of
them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much more
fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes, not 2 hours
of boredom.

22m people in this country watched the Portugal vs England match in 2004:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2012 01:14, brass monkey wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a football
match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've been
at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk any of
them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much more
fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes, not 2 hours
of boredom.

I'm extremely keen on football, in fact the most recent match I went to was
in 1958. The most recent match I watched on TV was the 66 world cup final.
I'm a real fan. I'll bet our rodney has a programme from the 1066 debacle
between Sheffield Wednesday and the Bayeux Tapestry at Stamford Bridge (he
was prolly there).

Wow you are keen, you must have been to several more than me.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Shew" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/05/2012 01:14, brass monkey wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

LOL, actually, the match in 58 was the only time I ever went to a football
match
22 overpaid bods chasing a bladder around, nah.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-07, ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:49:23 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Bloody typical electrician - getting paid for *watching* a
football match *and* not having to work - and still complaining!

Who in their right mind *pays* to watch a football match? I've
been at 33 Premier League matches this season and I don't thenk
any of them have been worth watching.

Now if a football match was more like Rugby 7's it would be much
more fun. If there is a tedious match it's over in 15 minutes,
not 2 hours of boredom.

22m people in this country watched the Portugal vs England match in
2004:-)

Ergo, 38 million didn't.

And knock off the non English from the 38 million (although the Scots
probably watched and cheered for Portugal) along with those too young to
watch and those with no mental capacity. That's still a lot of viewers.

Only 5 weeks to the Euro 2012. I cannot wait.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 06/05/2012 13:44, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

On 06/05/2012 10:44, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 09:22:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Tonight I have been at work because there was a football match on and
the
rules state that there has to be a standby electrician on site if the
floodlights are on.

I can understand the need for an electrician for a league match

but not
for a private match with about 50 spectators. Madness.

The question is "who's rules?". I'm certain the HSE have nothing to do
with it. More likely the insurance company who won't want to pay

out if
someone gets injured in the dark.

FA requirement? Too many matches abandoned due to floodlight failure
when the home team was losing?

I would expect it to be the FA, although probably more to do with
concerns over another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster in darkness.

So, nothing to do with HSE and everything to do with the damn-fool
risk-averse culture we have now?

I'm sure that if there was a problem the club would rather have someone
'competent' there to look after the lights rather than letting some
numpty from the crowd loose with an electrical screwdriver.

But maybe that's too sensible an answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2012-05-07, ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Euro 2012? That's part of a train timetable.