Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there more rogues around these days?

On May 1, 12:55 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 01/05/2012 11:28, MM wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2012 10:39:25 +0100,
wrote:

Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't recall being (knowingly)
ripped-off
until this year.

Incident 1: a few weeks ago I sold something on eBay to a guy from
Lockleaze in Bristol. He turned-up, seemed like a straightforward
likeable bloke and paid cash. We chatted and agreed on something else
for £10 which he suggested I invoice him for; I trusted him so let
him
take the item. The invoice has been ignored, as have text messages,
emails and phone calls. I just don't understand why anyone would be
petty enough to steal something to save a tenner.
I'm tempted to name him here but live in hope that it's all been a
mistake and that he's changed his mobile number (and email address!)

Incident 2: last weekend I was in a great London pub called the Fox
and
Anchor in Clerkenwell. I bought a couple of drinks and commented that
the price seemed a bit high - the barman checked and said that the
prices were correct; I couldn't see the printed price list so I
shrugged
my shoulders. Guess what ... the next drinks (served by the landlord)
were cheaper. I mentioned this to the landlord who "had words" with
the
previous guy who then handed-over 20p with a "don't spend it all at
once" comment!

I feel much better for this rant and will now return to my leafy
idyll,
here in Stepford :-)

I belive the British public are ripped off everywhere, at any time, by
anyone selling us something. I have absolutely no faith in any
business today. It seems to me that EVERYone is out to diddle someone
else. Nobody has any conscience any more and we are all encouraged to
believe that crimes like shoplifting aren't that important nowadays
anyway.

Rip-off Britain isn't just a state of mind, it's here right now, it's
endemic. And what we do see and detect is just the tip of an iceberg,
since most people are just too gullible for their own good.

In many of your posts you regard rip-off Britain to be associated with
supermarket's margins. I've never known a large chain to go back on a
shelf price, even if it's wrong or out of date.

So these cases are different, where there is blatant fraud and
deception.

I got an exceedingly cheap turkey one christmas. I was in Tescos, spotted
frozen bird for a very good price (fiver or something, back in 1998). Got
the till and it rang up as quite a lot more. Had an argument with the
store
manager and he looked in the freezer, agreed the displayed price was
there
(although from his POV wildly wrong) and instructed the till operator to
let
me have it for low price.

Perhaps he did not legally have to,

He did.

No, even if an item has a price label attached to it, if its wrong you are
not legally entitled to buy it at that price. The retailer can refuse to
sell it to you at the till.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

spotted a
frozen bird for a very good price (fiver or something, back in 1998).
Got to
the till and it rang up as quite a lot more. Had an argument with the
store
manager and he looked in the freezer, agreed the displayed price was
there
(although from his POV wildly wrong) and instructed the till operator
to let
me have it for low price.

Perhaps he did not legally have to,

He did.

No, even if an item has a price label attached to it, if its wrong you
are not legally entitled to buy it at that price. The retailer can
refuse to sell it to you at the till.

Mike

I don't know the legal position on this but my wife has always believed
that stores have to sell at the marked price and has always succeded in
getting her way. I'm sure she is not unique in this and whilst I
strongly suspect that you are correct in law it does seem that the myth
is being perpetuated by retailers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djornsk wrote:

I don't know the legal position on this but my wife has always believed
that stores have to sell at the marked price and has always succeded in
getting her way. I'm sure she is not unique in this and whilst I
strongly suspect that you are correct in law it does seem that the myth
is being perpetuated by retailers.

Ultimately, as a mis-pricing is the store's cock up, losing a few quid on
one sale to keep a customer (and possibly their gossiping friends) happy is
a small and wise hit to take.

Maybe they do not have to - but they would be stupid not to go with the
customer...

Now, if it was a HiFi shop selling 500 quid items and one was priced 200
below the correct value, that would be a little different...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 18:24, Tim Watts wrote:
djornsk wrote:

I don't know the legal position on this but my wife has always believed
that stores have to sell at the marked price and has always succeded in
getting her way. I'm sure she is not unique in this and whilst I
strongly suspect that you are correct in law it does seem that the myth
is being perpetuated by retailers.

Ultimately, as a mis-pricing is the store's cock up, losing a few quid on
one sale to keep a customer (and possibly their gossiping friends) happy is
a small and wise hit to take.

Maybe they do not have to - but they would be stupid not to go with the
customer...

Now, if it was a HiFi shop selling 500 quid items and one was priced 200
below the correct value, that would be a little different...

Since we used to go there a lot, SWMBO gets regular e mails from Center
Parcs.

She checked out the offers once & there was a 4 day break for £99 - so
she immediately booked it online & got a confirmation by return.

When she told me, I asked her to book another one, when she got back
online half an hour later it had changed to £99 'off'.

They honoured it though.