Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bandsaw tyres

Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on,
which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices
online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that,
and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest
option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I
glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the
sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont
know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6"
dia,

Cheers

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on,
which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices
online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that,
and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest
option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I
glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the
sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont
know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6"
dia,

Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 8:20*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on,
which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices
online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that,
and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest
option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I
glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the
sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont
know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6"
dia,

Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

I could glue that, but not also stretch it, unless you know some sort
of clamp I dont.

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 8:20 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

I don't understand.
Why can't you stretch a circle from a rubber inner tube over a wheel?

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

I don't know what profile you want so i can't help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 9:43*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Apr 15, 8:20 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

its a 6" wheel.

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

I don't know what profile you want so i can't help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 9:43 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Apr 15, 8:20 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Well I know getting a car inner tube small enough to fit may be a problem
but if you cut a circle out of it in a radial direction its going to be
about 6" in diameter.
Its not like cutting around the circumference and getting one 24" in
diameter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 8:20 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Presumably he needs a 'D' cross-section to keep the blade on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:54:21 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

I could glue that, but not also stretch it, unless you know some sort
of clamp I dont.

Inner tube cut into short cylinders like large rubber bands. Select
size of inner tube to be a little (FSVO little) smaller than the
wheels

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

Would you need to profile it? The teeth sticky out teeth will just
sink into the rubber or will than stop the thing running true?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 10:00*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:54:21 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

I could glue that, but not also stretch it, unless you know some sort
of clamp I dont.

Inner tube cut into short cylinders like large rubber bands. Select
size of inner tube to be a little (FSVO little) smaller than the
wheels

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

Would you need to profile it? The teeth sticky out teeth will just
sink into the rubber or will than stop the thing running true?

A ( shaped profile is essential, else the blade doesnt centre itself
on the wheels, and just drops off one side. The camber is the only
thing that keeps belts on many belt drive systems.

Now I know how to get the circles, ty.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:54:21 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

I could glue that, but not also stretch it, unless you know some sort
of clamp I dont.

Inner tube cut into short cylinders like large rubber bands. Select
size of inner tube to be a little (FSVO little) smaller than the
wheels

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

Would you need to profile it? The teeth sticky out teeth will just
sink into the rubber or will than stop the thing running true?

A ( shaped profile is essential, else the blade doesnt centre itself
on the wheels, and just drops off one side. The camber is the only
thing that keeps belts on many belt drive systems.

Now I know how to get the circles, ty.

NT

Use motor cycle tubes, Many people use tube rubber for tires on bandsaws
wit no problem, it is a standard quick fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on,
which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices
online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that,
and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest
option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I
glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the
sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont
know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6"
dia,

Cheers

Sounds like you know how to a bandsaw.
Have you read Mark Duginske's Bandsaw Handbook. This was recommended to me
following a post on this ng some while ago. Cost the magnificent sum of two
quid iirc from Amazon.
A real eye opener. Definitely highly recommended.
I had a problem with a somewhat larger two wheel band saw. After reading
this book and some minor modifications/rectifications it now now runs
perfectly well.
I spoke with a well known provider of band saw blades (who has great
experience of bandsaws) about new tyres. He couldn't help on this but
ventured that cork strip had been used successfully in his experience. This
by fb from his clients.
However, where have the three original tyres on your machine gone? To me
this would indicate a problem within the machine. It might be preferable to
fix any problem before administering a cure.
Adhesive: dunno, I might try evostik (the old fashioned variety) which would
work. This def not water based.

The blade teeth are not meant to hang over the edge of the wheels.

BAH, I must read OP's more thoroughly.
I retract the first line of this, my, reply.
If the wheels are six inch dia. and plastic I think it very unlikely that
the wheels were ever fitted with any tyres.
Generally the wheels (and tyres if fitted) are either flat or have a very
slight camber. This allows a well adjusted machine to run the blade to the
centre of the wheels.
There are, as with other things, too many variables.

So to bed.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 10:22*pm, "Nick" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you, I'll look that up.

I had a problem with a somewhat larger two wheel band saw. After reading
this book and some minor modifications/rectifications it now now runs
perfectly well.
I spoke with a well known provider of band saw blades (who has great
experience of bandsaws) about new tyres. He couldn't help on this but
ventured that cork strip had been used successfully in his experience. This
by fb from his clients.

I gather there are 3 types of tyres in use: rubberised cork, rubber,
and polysomethingorother.

However, where have the three original tyres on your machine gone? To me
this would indicate a problem within the machine. It might be preferable to
fix any problem before administering a cure.

The only problem I'm finding is that the blade wont sit flat on the
wheels. The wheel design makes this inevitable, and the blade
alignment's a fair way out because of it. There's no way to tweak it
to make it work ok as is, it needs either tyres or filing.

Adhesive: dunno, I might try evostik (the old fashioned variety) which would
work. This def not water based.

I realised if I use stretched rubber it shouldnt need adhesive.

The blade teeth are not meant to hang over the edge of the wheels.

no. it would fix the alignment problem though.

BAH, I must read OP's more thoroughly.
I retract the first line of this, my, reply.
If the wheels are six inch dia. and plastic I think it very unlikely that
the wheels were ever fitted with any tyres.

yup

Generally the wheels (and tyres if fitted) are either flat or have a very
slight camber. This allows a well adjusted machine to run the blade to the
centre of the wheels.
There are, as with other things, too many variables.

So to bed.

Nick.

There are rollers on the back of the blade as usual, but nothing on
the teeth side to stop it falling off, so the wheels need some camber.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on,
which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices
online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that,
and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest
option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I
glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the
sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont
know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6"
dia,

Cheers

NT

Cut suitable car tire inner tube into bands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 17:35, wrote:

Hello out out there! -- I have a Woodwise band saw that would
benefit from new drive tyres but I am told by Poolewood that the
tyres are not availible foe 13.5 inch wheels -- any sugestions?

I expect the 12" ones available on ebay etc would stretch... failing
that, try one of the US suppliers that ship here. E.g.:

http://r.ebay.com/pVnGvg

Or talk to a blade supplier.

--
Cheers,