Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came....

First they came for the Smokers
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Smoker

Then they came for the Drinkers
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Drinker

Then they came for the Eaters
And I did not speak out
Because I was not an Eater

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

Organisations representing nearly every doctor in the UK have united in
a single campaign to tackle rising levels of obesity.

The campaign will start by reviewing the case for fat taxes, promoting
exercise, restricting food advertising and other measures.

The first phase of the campaign will try to find out what works. It will
review evidence for diets, exercise, taxation, minimum pricing, changing
advertising and food labelling, which medical procedures work and how
children are educated.

Recommendations could target food companies who sponsor major sporting
events - such as the Olympics - and fast food outlets which operate
close to schools.

Prof Stephenson said allowing companies such as Coca-Cola and McDonalds
to sponsor the London 2012 Olympics "sends the wrong message."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

This guy gets it right at 13min and 50 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s078btChwdg
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

This guy gets it right at 13min and 50 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s078btChwdg

I think the technical description is
"The problem is that your mouth is biggger than your arsehole".
;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather
than exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

This guy gets it right at 13min and 50 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s078btChwdg

I think the technical description is
"The problem is that your mouth is biggger than your arsehole".
;-)

These people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTq2_3LfXM

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do,
you'll still die.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather
than exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do,
you'll still die.

I do expect that the cure for death will be found the day after I die and it
must be administered to a living person for it to work

I am going to live forever or die trying.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do,
you'll still die.

Adrian

"Being born is the biggest cause of death"

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Adrian wrote:

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do,
you'll still die.

Adrian

"Being born is the biggest cause of death"

Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Adrian wrote:

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

But what they don't seem to work out is that no matter what you do,
you'll still die.

Adrian

"Being born is the biggest cause of death"

Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease...

I've seen a few reports which say that a belief in God has positive
effects on one's health.
Not sure if they did a comparative study to decide which God was best
for you though.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I think it's possible to eat the same amount of food and do exercise to lose
weight, you just have to eat *different* food, food with less calories.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I think it's possible to eat the same amount of food and do exercise to lose
weight, you just have to eat *different* food, food with less calories.

There was a fuss some while back about a high-protein, low carbohydrate
diet, something like steak with salad, and some doctors were saying
that it would lead to all manner of problems.

So eating fish must surely be unhealthy.

There was a fuss long ago about salt intake, with one lone voice
pointing out that only 10% of the population were unable to rapidly
eliminate excess salt from their bodies.

Now there's been a rerun, and now another lone voice says it's 20%.

Who funds these 'studies' ?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2012 02:22, Windmill wrote:
writes:

wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I think it's possible to eat the same amount of food and do exercise to lose
weight, you just have to eat *different* food, food with less calories.

There was a fuss some while back about a high-protein, low carbohydrate
diet, something like steak with salad, and some doctors were saying
that it would lead to all manner of problems.

So eating fish must surely be unhealthy.

There was a fuss long ago about salt intake, with one lone voice
pointing out that only 10% of the population were unable to rapidly
eliminate excess salt from their bodies.

Now there's been a rerun, and now another lone voice says it's 20%.

Who funds these 'studies' ?

Large, influential, multi national drug companies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote
Windmill wrote
wrote
wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote

[...]

Not always. Some of it funded by the national health services in various
western european countrys etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

I read this earlier. I like this bit "Cutting food intake, rather than
exercise alone, is the key to not becoming obese, doctors say".

I could be a doctor if they have only just worked that one out.

This guy gets it right at 13min and 50 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s078btChwdg

Just out of curiosity though, I wonder how many doctors are 'obese' and
require a bit of paring down?

I had this discussion with my own GP about a year ago, just after my last
stroke, and he was gently rollicking me about my weight - until I simply
pointed to his midriff and said "what about yours" along with a few more
comments about his diet and lack of exercise - he agreed, gave me a few more
pills, and quickly changed the topic.

Before these people start attacking the general public on any health matter,
they should have a very good look at all those working in the health
profession first - from the top to bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 23:03, Cash wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Anybody taking advice on alcohol consumption from a doctor can't have
met many medical students :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" writes:

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Doctors as a group have a bad reputation for smoking, drinking,
self-medicating, and deluding themselves that they know everything.
I'll accept that many, maybe most, are dedicated people, but not that
their non-medical judgement is any good at all.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote
Cash wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote

[...]

That reputation is more reputation than fact tho, particularly with smoking.

and deluding themselves that they know everything.

Not that uncommon with that group in the population,
doctors in the modern first world are effectively selected
quite a bit from the population as a whole on admission
to the medical education system particularly.

I'll accept that many, maybe most, are dedicated people,
but not that their non-medical judgement is any good at all.

Dunno, its unlikely to be any worse than the same group
mental capacity wise in the population as a whole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Windmill" wrote in message

Doctors as a group have a bad reputation for smoking, drinking,
self-medicating, and deluding themselves that they know everything.
I'll accept that many, maybe most, are dedicated people, but not that
their non-medical judgement is any good at all.

I wouldn't worry too much as its not GPs that are the experts in health
care.
They just pass on the message and need to take the advice too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

But first they have to decide what is a good diet and a bad diet.

Try Googling LCHF and see how much of that diet is likely to be legislated
against.

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 13:31, David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

And stop this nonsense about good & bad foods.

Try Googling LCHF and see how much of that diet is likely to be
legislated against.

Much the same as the advice on the posters on the wall at my junior school.

Although Coca Cola is the drink of the devil.

Agreed, but 1 a month ain't gonna kill ya.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Agreed, but 1 a month ain't gonna kill ya.

Try telling that to the wife at the wrong time of the month.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:44:18 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

And stop this nonsense about good & bad foods.

The odd poke of chips or burger is fine - no real downside to them;
it's when fat lazy *******s eat them all the time and become fatter,
lazier *******s - that's the trouble.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

Worse than a protein shake?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

Worse than a protein shake?

Only if you swallow.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

Worse than a protein shake?

Only if you swallow.

So I am told.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

Although CocaCola is the drink of the devil.

Worse than a protein shake?

Only if you swallow.

*urk*
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

But first they have to decide what is a good diet and a bad diet.

Try Googling LCHF and see how much of that diet is likely to be
legislated against.

There are so many conflicting messages

and the obsession with fat causing fat (so to speak)
fat is mainly formed by excess carbs being converted into fat

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17705228

But first they have to decide what is a good diet and a bad diet.

Try Googling LCHF and see how much of that diet is likely to be legislated
against.

There are so many conflicting messages

and the obsession with fat causing fat (so to speak)
fat is mainly formed by excess carbs being converted into fat

Excess calories absorbed will be stored, there is only one long term storage
in the body and that is fat.
therefore all excess calories will be turned to fat not just fatty food.
there are mechanisms in the body to convert between the different energy
sources.
I should know as one of the major ones doesn't work in me.
I can't metabolise lipids (fat) at better than ~1% of normal.
At least I don't make cholesterol so its very low.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

put the fatties on treadmills and hook em up to the National Grid..

it would be handy for when the wind drops.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

put the fatties on treadmills and hook em up to the National Grid..

So the "carrot and stick" becomes a "cake and stick"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

put the fatties on treadmills and hook em up to the National Grid..

it would be handy for when the wind drops.

Silly boy, the electricity rating is for how much they use, not what they
generate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

put the fatties on treadmills and hook em up to the National Grid..

it would be handy for when the wind drops.

Silly boy, the electricity rating is for how much they use, not what
they generate.

You could feed them baked beans

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

"Smoking hot memo from David Hockney to Health Minister: Keep your mean,
dreary views out of my life"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1s7OQButO

http://tinyurl.com/86w3225

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Smoking hot memo from David Hockney to Health Minister: Keep your mean,
dreary views out of my life"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1s7OQButO

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't stupid
enough to smoke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/12 16:11, dennis@home wrote:

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't stupid
enough to smoke!

I think the real point is that they are not our parents. Providing
information is one thing, enforcement quite another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
On 15/04/12 16:11, dennis@home wrote:

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't
stupid enough to smoke!

I think the real point is that they are not our parents. Providing
information is one thing, enforcement quite another.

One of the reasons some of the apprentices at work like me is because I let
them smoke in my van.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 15/04/12 16:11, dennis@home wrote:

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't stupid
enough to smoke!

I think the real point is that they are not our parents. Providing
information is one thing, enforcement quite another.

The enforcement of the smoking ban is to protect others, pretty much as for
any other H&S enforcement.
Nobody really cares if smokers kill themselves, they are adults and are
doing it to themselves.
However when they do it to others its a different matter.
Smokers are likely to be too stupid to actually understand this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap writes:

On 15/04/12 16:11, dennis@home wrote:

A bit biased, they may not light up in public because they aren't stupid
enough to smoke!

I think the real point is that they are not our parents. Providing
information is one thing, enforcement quite another.

But surely they should be allowed to enforce. After all, they have
repeatedly proved that their decision-making is flawless.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:14:42 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

snip

"Smoking hot memo from David Hockney to Health Minister: Keep your mean,
dreary views out of my life"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1s7OQButO

once a junky....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 15, 1:04*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
[...]

Ah, the latest excuse for widespread additional taxation

NT