DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Talking of fuel. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/338318-talking-fuel.html)

harry April 5th 12 08:04 AM

Talking of fuel.

I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax, they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.

It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 5th 12 09:50 AM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article
,
harry wrote:

I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.
So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax,
they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.
It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Required for garden weed control flame wands as well.

Turnover will be (comparatively) low for that stuff.

I'm looking forward to the time when agricultural diesel is permitted in
*on road* vehicles:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Nightjar April 5th 12 09:57 AM

Talking of fuel.

On 05/04/2012 08:04, harry wrote:
I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax, they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.

It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Filling stations make more profit on what people buy in the shop than on
the fuel they buy. It also doesn't come in a container, which has to be
paid for, nor does it occupy retail shelf space, which, in any large
store, has to achieve a certain income per metre run and products that
don't are simply not sold.

Colin Bignell

harryagain April 5th 12 10:04 AM

Talking of fuel.

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article
,
harry wrote:

I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.
So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax, they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.
It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Required for garden weed control flame wands as well.

Turnover will be (comparatively) low for that stuff.

I'm looking forward to the time when agricultural diesel is permitted in
*on road* vehicles:-)

I know a couple of people thinks it is.

Dave Liquorice[_3_] April 5th 12 10:15 AM

Talking of fuel.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:50:35 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'm looking forward to the time when agricultural diesel is permitted in
*on road* vehicles:-)

Well you know when that will happen don't you? When the rebated duty
has risen to the same level as the road duty.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Theo Markettos April 5th 12 11:02 AM

Talking of fuel.

harry wrote:
I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that anything
that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as diesel. It
happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people caught on
about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

Theo

Jethro[_5_] April 5th 12 12:10 PM

Talking of fuel.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:57:39 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 05/04/2012 08:04, harry wrote:
I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print ha
ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel? But
when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax, they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.

It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Filling stations make more profit on what people buy in the shop than on
the fuel they buy.

Which is why self-service pay-at-pump is rare outside the big
supermarkets (where it'sa godsend).

dennis@home April 5th 12 01:35 PM

Talking of fuel.

"harryagain" wrote in message

I'm looking forward to the time when agricultural diesel is permitted in
*on road* vehicles:-)

I know a couple of people thinks it is.

It probably can be legal if you pay the correct tax.
How you then remove the markers is a bit more problematic.

dennis@home April 5th 12 01:37 PM

Talking of fuel.

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
harry wrote:
I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that anything
that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as diesel. It
happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people caught
on
about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Theo

Theo Markettos April 5th 12 02:15 PM

Talking of fuel.

dennis@home wrote:

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that anything
that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as diesel. It
happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people
caught on about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash.
The same goes for producers and wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster,
so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as fuel,
and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Theo

Rod Speed April 5th 12 08:14 PM

Talking of fuel.

Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as
diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until
people caught on about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash.
The same goes for producers and wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster,

They can however grow a lot more of it.

so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as
fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 5th 12 09:04 PM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as
diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until
people caught on about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash.
The same goes for producers and wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster,

They can however grow a lot more of it.

Not really. You either displace some other saleable crop or knock down
more rain forest. Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five
year rotation.

so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as
fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.

Not everybody charges what we do for fuel.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Rod Speed April 5th 12 09:53 PM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as
diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people caught on about using it for fuel,
now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash. The same goes for producers and
wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster,

They can however grow a lot more of it.

Not really.

Yes, really.

You either displace some other saleable crop

They must have been making money on it when it was sold
at 50p a liter or they wouldnt have bothered growing it.

or knock down more rain forest.

Doesnt happen in the first world.

Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.

There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.

so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as
fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.

Not everybody charges what we do for fuel.

The bulk of europe does. And there hasnt been much rain forest in europe for quite a while now.

hugh April 5th 12 10:18 PM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article
,
harry wrote:

I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print
ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin.
I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel?
But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.
So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax,
they
must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.
It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Required for garden weed control flame wands as well.

Turnover will be (comparatively) low for that stuff.

I'm looking forward to the time when agricultural diesel is permitted
in *on road* vehicles:-)

regards

Sounds like another half baked idea from this government. Don't they
realise that once it's done it can't be undone?
--
hugh

Rod Speed April 5th 12 10:19 PM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Streater wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price
as diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people caught on about using it for
fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash. The same goes for producers and
wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster,

They can however grow a lot more of it.

Not really.

Yes, really.

Where?

Most places.

You either displace some other saleable crop

They must have been making money on it when it was sold
at 50p a liter or they wouldnt have bothered growing it.

Now you're being a fathead.

We'll see...

If you're talking about useful quantities, please indicate *where*.

Australia, the US, Canada, south america, eastern europe, etc etc etc.

or knock down more rain forest.

Doesnt happen in the first world.

Yeah we know this.

He clearly doesnt.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That hardly anywhere where cooking oil is
grown is rain forest knocked down to grow it.

Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.

There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That there is a lot more cooking oil than just canola.

so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to
fry our chips instead.

Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

Record's stuck.

Not everybody charges what we do for fuel.

The bulk of europe does. And there hasnt been much rain forest in europe for quite a while now.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

Record's stuck.

If thats the best you can manage, I wont be bothering with your reply again.

Rod Speed April 5th 12 10:59 PM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Streater wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

[...]

All places where population density is low compared to Western Europe.

Even you should have noticed that quite a bit of what western europe
consumes does come from places like that and has done for centurys now.

And even so, that land, if useful farmland, is being farmed anyway, for the most part.

No reason why they cant choose to produce oil that can be used in cars etc
if there is a market for that in western europe where diesel isnt that cheap.

or knock down more rain forest.

Doesnt happen in the first world.

Yeah we know this.

He clearly doesnt.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That hardly anywhere where cooking oil is grown is rain forest knocked down to grow it.

Either way, you're displacing some other useful crop.

Sure, but why is that necessarily something that should be avoided
by jacking up the retail price of cooking oil as he claimed ?

Makes a lot more sense to just flog grown oil at service stations
in bowsers instead if there is a market for that in western europe.

Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.

There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That there is a lot more cooking oil than just canola.

Still has to be grown though, eh.

[snip non sequiturs which Rod couldn't justify]

Everyone can see for themselves that that is a lie when that snippage is reversed.

brass monkey April 5th 12 11:38 PM

Talking of fuel.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

[...]

All places where population density is low compared to Western Europe. And
even so, that land, if useful farmland, is being farmed anyway, for the
most part.

or knock down more rain forest.

Doesnt happen in the first world.

Yeah we know this.

He clearly doesnt.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That hardly anywhere where cooking oil is grown is rain forest
knocked down to grow it.

Either way, you're displacing some other useful crop.

Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.

There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

That there is a lot more cooking oil than just canola.

Still has to be grown though, eh.

[snip non sequiturs which Rod couldn't justify]

Tim, you're cruisin for a bruisin from our Rodders as in his usual
copy/paste response -

"Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind Tim Streater wrote just
the puerile **** thats all it can ever manage."

;)

http://phorums.com.au/archive/index.php/t-42666.html

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 6th 12 09:23 AM

Talking of fuel.

In message om, brass
monkey writes

That there is a lot more cooking oil than just canola.

Still has to be grown though, eh.

[snip non sequiturs which Rod couldn't justify]

Tim, you're cruisin for a bruisin from our Rodders as in his usual
copy/paste response -

"Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind Tim Streater wrote just
the puerile **** thats all it can ever manage."

I've cut the attributions:-)

The issue of cropping variations hit America and Mexico a few years
back. I don't have the detail.

Something like a significant part of the American corn output was
diverted to source methanol for the transport industry. Insufficient
corn was then available for the Mexican Tortilla industry. Probably
exaggerated by commodity trading as well.

World arable production is roughly balanced with the once in 4 years
glut in Australia offset by frost damage to production from the Baltic
states, perhaps.

Oil bearing crops produce such a meagre amount of oil/ha and global
transport/heating consumption is so huge that Govt. offset targets are
only a few %.

Someone else can do the sums:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

harry April 6th 12 09:48 AM

Talking of fuel.

On Apr 5, 10:00*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
*"Rod Speed" wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that
anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as
diesel. *It happened with cooking oil... *it used to be 50p/litre until
people caught on about using it for fuel,
now it's 1.40ish a litre.

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Supply and demand. *At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a
flash. The same goes for producers and
wholesalers. *They can't grow it any faster,

They can however grow a lot more of it.

Not really.

Yes, really.

Where?

You either displace some other saleable crop

They must have been making money on it when it was sold
at 50p a liter or they wouldnt have bothered growing it.

Now you're being a fathead. If you're talking about useful quantities,
please indicate *where*.

or knock down more rain forest.

Doesnt happen in the first world.

Yeah we know this. And your point was *what*, precisely?

Oil seed rape is probably only grown once in a five year rotation.

There is a lot more than just that thats used to grow oil.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

so the price goes up. *At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as
fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Doesnt explain why that hasnt happened to the price world wide.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

Not everybody charges what we do for fuel.

The bulk of europe does. And there hasnt been much rain forest in europe for
quite a while now.

And your point was *what*, precisely?

The point is, he is trying to move the goal posts.

harry April 6th 12 09:51 AM

Talking of fuel.

On Apr 6, 9:23*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message om, brass
monkey writes

[...]

Yes, you're right. I remember all that business too.

Rod Speed April 6th 12 10:40 AM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Lamb wrote:

The issue of cropping variations hit America and Mexico a few years back. I don't have the detail.

Something like a significant part of the American corn output was diverted to source methanol for the transport
industry.

Yes. In fact legally mandated.

Insufficient corn was then available for the Mexican Tortilla industry.

Thats an urban myth. **** all of mexican corn is imported from the US.

Probably exaggerated by commodity trading as well.

Not even possible with corn that is grown in the country its used in.

World arable production is roughly balanced with the once in 4 years glut in Australia offset by frost damage to
production from the Baltic states, perhaps.

Hardly ever.

Oil bearing crops produce such a meagre amount of oil/ha

Thats just plain wrong.

and global transport/heating consumption is so huge

That wasnt even being discussed. What was being discussed was
the relatively small market in western europe where the high cost of
diesel due to govt taxes where cookling oil can be a viable alternative
and the silly claim that the price of cooking oil was deliverably trippled
by someone to stop it being used in the small number of diesel fueled cars.

that Govt. offset targets are only a few %.

Someone else can do the sums:-)

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western europe
where the govt tax on diesel might justify the use of grown oil in cars.

Rod Speed April 6th 12 10:41 AM

Talking of fuel.

harry wrote:
On Apr 5, 10:00 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
dennis@home wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

[...]

You're lying, again.

Rod Speed April 6th 12 11:59 AM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

brass monkey April 6th 12 12:30 PM

Talking of fuel.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

hahahaha, there'ya go Tim.
LMFAO

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 6th 12 01:03 PM

Talking of fuel.

brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

hahahaha, there'ya go Tim.
LMFAO

well its not even grammatical Australian is it?

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Steve Firth April 6th 12 02:02 PM

Talking of fuel.

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

You may want to try posting that again, when you sober up.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 6th 12 02:13 PM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.
hahahaha, there'ya go Tim.
LMFAO

well its not even grammatical Australian is it?

Well Rod and harry and dennis manage to waste a lot of each other's
time, so that's a plus.

Did you ever play Ultima Online? its a role playimng internet based
multi-user thing.

I used to sit in a virtual house chatting to people who had wound up
there as well.. practising the art form known as 'provocation' which was
essentially to enrage (through use of a musical instrument) one monster
outside enough to attack another.

Sitting in a house was good as the downside of this art was that if it
failed they would both attack YOU.

Sadly the game designers made house walls soundproof after a server update.

I cant think why I thought of that...;-)

and how hard it is to achieve it.

dennis@home April 6th 12 08:12 PM

Talking of fuel.

brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

hahahaha, there'ya go Tim.
LMFAO

well its not even grammatical Australian is it?

Well Rod and harry and dennis manage to waste a lot of each other's time,
so that's a plus.

Odd I think you have replied to rod and harry more times than I have.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 6th 12 08:32 PM

Talking of fuel.

brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote just the puerile **** thats all can ever
manage when its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

hahahaha, there'ya go Tim.
LMFAO

well its not even grammatical Australian is it?

Well Rod and harry and dennis manage to waste a lot of each other's
time, so that's a plus.

Odd I think you have replied to rod and harry more times than I have.

that's how I know, dennis.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 6th 12 08:44 PM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

snip..

Oil bearing crops produce such a meagre amount of oil/ha

Thats just plain wrong.

Is it?

Winter sown Rape yield around 3 tons/ha oil content 10%

Spring sown yield around 1.8 tons/ha and oil content 20%

and global transport/heating consumption is so huge

That wasnt even being discussed. What was being discussed was
the relatively small market in western europe where the high cost of
diesel due to govt taxes where cookling oil can be a viable alternative
and the silly claim that the price of cooking oil was deliverably trippled
by someone to stop it being used in the small number of diesel fueled cars.

that Govt. offset targets are only a few %.

Someone else can do the sums:-)

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western europe
where the govt tax on diesel might justify the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there
certainly is not here. As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to
run the car on cooking oil, there would quickly be none for cooking.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Rod Speed April 6th 12 11:00 PM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote:

Oil bearing crops produce such a meagre amount of oil/ha

Thats just plain wrong.

Is it?

Yep, the best of them produce very decent yields.

Winter sown Rape yield around 3 tons/ha oil content 10%

Spring sown yield around 1.8 tons/ha and oil content 20%

There are a hell of a lot more oil seed crops than just rape, and
quite a few where the oil is a waste product too like with cotton.

And there is apparently an olive oil lake developing in the EU
with the oil so bad that it isnt viable as food oil anymore too.

and global transport/heating consumption is so huge

That wasnt even being discussed. What was being discussed was the relatively small market in western europe where the
high cost of diesel due to govt taxes where cookling oil can be a viable alternative and the silly claim that the
price of cooking oil was deliverably trippled by someone to stop it being used in the small number of diesel fueled
cars.

that Govt. offset targets are only a few %.

Someone else can do the sums:-)

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western europe where the govt tax on diesel might justify
the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there certainly is not here.

Thats just plain wrong with europe. Particularly in eastern europe, there is plenty of space to do that.

As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to run the car on cooking oil, there would quickly be none for cooking.

Just because someone claims that doesnt make it gospel.

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe
with plenty of space to grow oil if that was economically viable.

harry April 7th 12 08:21 AM

Talking of fuel.

On Apr 6, 11:00*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Couldn't even be done in Oz. Most of it is desert.
You also have to deduct out the fuel needed to grow/transport the
stuff, (around 25%)

Rod Speed April 7th 12 09:03 AM

Talking of fuel.

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Couldn't even be done in Oz.

It has in fact been done here for more than a century now.

Most of it is desert.

Like hell it is. Have fun explaining where the wheat is grown, which
just happens to be one of the world's largest wheat exporters.

You also have to deduct out the fuel needed to grow/transport the stuff, (around 25%)

You dont have to count the fuel used to grow the crop with the oil thats a
byproduct of what the crop is grown for like with cotton etc, and your 25% is
straight from your arse with most oil seed crops, we can tell from the smell.

And we arent even discussing what makes sense environmentally either,
we happen to be discussing the stupid claim that cooking oil is deliberately
priced at 3 times its real price, so that those in western europe wont put it
in their cars because diesel has a very high tax added in western europe.

harry April 7th 12 09:14 AM

Talking of fuel.

On Apr 7, 9:03*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
harry wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

in their cars because diesel has a very high tax added in western europe.- Hide quoted text -

Most of it is desert or semi-arid. I crossed OZ by bus/train. I saw
mostly desert.
Even some existing arable farms had problems with saline ground water
rising and were being abandoned. So the desert is getting bigger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deserts_of_Australia

You never even travelled in Oz?
..

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 7th 12 09:20 AM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Rod Speed
writes

snip

There are a hell of a lot more oil seed crops than just rape, and
quite a few where the oil is a waste product too like with cotton.

So why do you think cropping is not diverted to produce this *oil*?

And there is apparently an olive oil lake developing in the EU
with the oil so bad that it isnt viable as food oil anymore too.

Distortion of sensible production by EU agricultural payments? I don't
imagine it is just thrown away.

snip

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western
europe where the govt tax on diesel might justify
the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there
certainly is not here.

Thats just plain wrong with europe. Particularly in eastern europe,
there is plenty of space to do that.

So what are they currently doing with the land?

As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to run the car on
cooking oil, there would quickly be none for cooking.

Just because someone claims that doesnt make it gospel.

Makes sense to me.

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe
with plenty of space to grow oil if that was economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe. If I were, I would grow crops which suited
the climate and gave the best return without depleting soil fertility. I
don't think this includes Cotton, Palm Oil, Olives or continuous Rape.

Do you have some suggestions?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Rod Speed April 7th 12 10:23 AM

Talking of fuel.

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

There is in fact a bigger area suitable for growing oil than in the whole of western europe.

I crossed OZ by bus/train. I saw mostly desert.

Thats a tiny part of Australia, fool.

Even some existing arable farms had problems with
saline ground water rising and were being abandoned.

**** all of it is in fact being abandoned.

So the desert is getting bigger

**** all of it is getting bigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deserts_of_Australia

Doesnt say anything like your mindless silly ****.

You never even travelled in Oz?

Yep, over FAR more of it than you ever have.

AND I can see what the ag production of the country is too. .

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 7th 12 11:15 AM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Rod Speed
writes

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe
with plenty of space to grow oil if that was economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe. If I were, I would grow crops which
suited the climate and gave the best return without depleting soil
fertility. I don't think this includes Cotton, Palm Oil, Olives or
continuous Rape.
Do you have some suggestions?

He's just an ace bull****ter so we can take the answer as a No.

There is always the chance of a gem in any heap of dross. In a negative
and un-fruitful discussion, one can always disengage.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

brass monkey April 7th 12 11:29 AM

Talking of fuel.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Rod Speed
writes

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe
with plenty of space to grow oil if that was economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe. If I were, I would grow crops which suited
the climate and gave the best return without depleting soil fertility. I
don't think this includes Cotton, Palm Oil, Olives or continuous Rape.

Do you have some suggestions?

He's just an ace bull****ter so we can take the answer as a No.

Yes, he's spent all his time learning more and more about less and less
until finally he knows ALL there is to know about ****all.

Rod Speed April 7th 12 11:30 AM

Talking of fuel.

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote

There are a hell of a lot more oil seed crops than just rape, and
quite a few where the oil is a waste product too like with cotton.

So why do you think cropping is not diverted to produce this *oil*?

Because in the case of cotton, its grown for other reasons,
like for the cotton, so there is no diversion at all when the
oil thats a byproduct is used in cars instead of using diesel.

And there is apparently an olive oil lake developing in the EU
with the oil so bad that it isnt viable as food oil anymore too.

Distortion of sensible production by EU agricultural payments?

Nope, thats the result of the lackadaiscal production not producing
what the consumer prefers, the higher quality olive oil that can be eaten.

I don't imagine it is just thrown away.

Its basically flogged all over the world with lies about the quality of that oil.

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western europe where the govt tax on diesel might justify
the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there
certainly is not here.

Thats just plain wrong with europe. Particularly in eastern europe, there is plenty of space to do that.

So what are they currently doing with the land?

Like with all agricultural land, growing what produces
the best return and gambling on the weather etc.

As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to run the car on cooking oil, there would quickly be none for
cooking.

Just because someone claims that doesnt make it gospel.

Makes sense to me.

Then you dont have a clue about how agricultural production works.

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe with plenty of space to grow oil if that was
economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe.

Irrelevant to where it can be grown.

If I were, I would grow crops which suited the climate and gave the best return without depleting soil fertility.

And thats true of plenty of oil crops.

I don't think this includes Cotton,

You're wrong on that.

Palm Oil, Olives or continuous Rape.

There are a hell of a lot more crops that are viable for oil there.

Do you have some suggestions?

The other oil crops that grow there fine.

And whats sold in western europe doesnt have to come from eastern europe anyway.

Tim Lamb[_2_] April 7th 12 11:52 AM

Talking of fuel.

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote

There are a hell of a lot more oil seed crops than just rape, and
quite a few where the oil is a waste product too like with cotton.

So why do you think cropping is not diverted to produce this *oil*?

Because in the case of cotton, its grown for other reasons,
like for the cotton, so there is no diversion at all when the
oil thats a byproduct is used in cars instead of using diesel.

And in the case of all the others?

And there is apparently an olive oil lake developing in the EU
with the oil so bad that it isnt viable as food oil anymore too.

Distortion of sensible production by EU agricultural payments?

Nope, thats the result of the lackadaiscal production not producing
what the consumer prefers, the higher quality olive oil that can be eaten.

I know very little about Olives or their oil. It may be you are
referring to a production process other than pressing or that trees have
been retained beyond their useful life.

I don't imagine it is just thrown away.

Its basically flogged all over the world with lies about the quality of
that oil.

So still not used for fuel.

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western
europe where the govt tax on diesel might justify
the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there
certainly is not here.

Thats just plain wrong with europe. Particularly in eastern europe,
there is plenty of space to do that.

So what are they currently doing with the land?

Like with all agricultural land, growing what produces
the best return and gambling on the weather etc.

As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to run the car on
cooking oil, there would quickly be none for
cooking.

Just because someone claims that doesnt make it gospel.

Makes sense to me.

Then you dont have a clue about how agricultural production works.

I think I do:-)

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern
europe with plenty of space to grow oil if that was
economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe.

Irrelevant to where it can be grown.

If I were, I would grow crops which suited the climate and gave the
best return without depleting soil fertility.

And thats true of plenty of oil crops.

I don't think this includes Cotton,

You're wrong on that.

Palm Oil, Olives or continuous Rape.

There are a hell of a lot more crops that are viable for oil there.

Do you have some suggestions?

The other oil crops that grow there fine.

Could you kindly put forward some examples?

And whats sold in western europe doesnt have to come from eastern
europe anyway.

True. You suggested the land was available. I am just trying to
establish what information you have to justify the suitability and
availability of the land.

regards

--
Tim Lamb