DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement battery? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/338290-replacement-battery.html)

[email protected] April 13th 12 12:50 AM

Replacement battery?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:10:13 -0500, "John F. Morse"
wrote:

I am curious though, just how much does it cost someone in the UK to order
from a company in the US? Is there just postage (shipping), or does one or
both countries charge some export/import "tax" on the goods?

Depends on the size/weight of the item.
Largeish items used to be dead cheap and worthwhile getting sent by
USPS Surface Mail - slow boat from NY, I assume. Unfortunately, USPS
stopped that and the cheapest service is now 1st Class International,
which is cheap for small/light items but anything heavier now has to
go by much more expensive and not-worthwhile rate.
Another problem can be the sellers' ignorance of, or reluctance to,
use USPS 1st Class - some are downright obstructionist, while others
are quite flexible - I cite KEH camera dealers as a prime example of
the latter.

[email protected] April 13th 12 12:51 AM

Replacement battery?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:28:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stuff from china comes in parcel post for a fiver. Go figure.

Subsidised China Post.