Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to extend a piece of timber

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:40:17 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Nick wrote:

Only saw this today, suspect it may have been put up last Sunday.
http://finehomebuilding.com/item/22728

Out woodwork teacher would give us a clip round the ear

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork
teacher was (in)famous for...

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nick wrote:

Only saw this today, suspect it may have been put up last Sunday.
http://finehomebuilding.com/item/22728

Out woodwork teacher would give us a clip round the ear

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork
teacher was (in)famous for...

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

You must've attended our school cept his name was Bernard Richards. He'd
also come along our benches inspecting our work then tossing it into the
corner saying "this wood doesn't grow on trees y'know". Another gem was
"insomuch as I have taught you the rules of sawring I cannot torelate such
bad work". At lunchtimes we had "stop playing with the cutelry". Spelling we
had "spell burrow", every1 spelt burrow, every1 got it wrong, he said "no,
no, a writing burrow".
Happy daze.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:46:48 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Nick wrote:

Only saw this today, suspect it may have been put up last Sunday.
http://finehomebuilding.com/item/22728

Out woodwork teacher would give us a clip round the ear

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork
teacher was (in)famous for...

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

You must've attended our school cept his name was Bernard Richards. He'd
also come along our benches inspecting our work then tossing it into the
corner saying "this wood doesn't grow on trees y'know". Another gem was
"insomuch as I have taught you the rules of sawring I cannot torelate such
bad work". At lunchtimes we had "stop playing with the cutelry". Spelling we
had "spell burrow", every1 spelt burrow, every1 got it wrong, he said "no,
no, a writing burrow".

Our "year group" (four streams) was split up alphabetically for
woodwork into two groups. Those of us who had a surname initial up to
about "L" were lumbered with George " Basher" Bates in W2, the others
had a real gentleman, John(?) Thompson (Harris tweed jacket with
leather patches on the elbows) in W1.
For about a year Batesy was on long-term sick leave with an ulcer (in
those days there was no quick fix as nowadays) and our group was
delighted to be doubled up with Mr Thompson's class (who used PVA
rather than Scotch glue), and ddin'tt get beaten around.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Out woodwork teacher would give us a clip round the ear

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork
teacher was (in)famous for...

No, Mr North.

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

Didn't they all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2012 07:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Out woodwork teacher would give us a clip round the ear

He wasn't called Bates, was he? That's the sort of thing our woodwork
teacher was (in)famous for...

No, Mr North.

He also literally threw chisels and wooden jack planes at people.

Didn't they all?

We had a wonderful chap called Wellman (nicknamed 'Flam' - no idea why).

If a boy said "My wood's split, sir" his response was always "Your wood
didn't split itself - *you* split it!"
--
Cheers,
Roger