Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ********

I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and case.

One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way into the
charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2012 13:08, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and case.

One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way into the
charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

You live, and hopefully, learn Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Moonraker wrote:
On 01/04/2012 13:08, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and
case. One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way
into the charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

You live, and hopefully, learn Adam.

Yep. One of those things, and life is and will always be a learning curve.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep. One of those things, and life is and will always be a learning
curve.

Your sang-froid is admirable. I'd have assumed a charger designed for
construction sites would have better IP than that. So I've learnt and
will be bloody careful when I get around to replacing my ancient
Hitachi. (So ancient its charger doesn't seem to bother with
ventilation).

Of course if it is still in warranty.....After all, if they knock it
back as having been misused you could always say it must have have been
one of the apprentices

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
Yep. One of those things, and life is and will always be a learning
curve.

Your sang-froid is admirable. I'd have assumed a charger designed for
construction sites would have better IP than that. So I've learnt and
will be bloody careful when I get around to replacing my ancient
Hitachi. (So ancient its charger doesn't seem to bother with
ventilation).

Of course if it is still in warranty.....After all, if they knock it
back as having been misused you could always say it must have have
been one of the apprentices

Not after the soldering modification I had carried out to see if it was just
the fuse on the chargers PCB that had blown:-)

When I plugged it back in it took put hotel rooms 501 to 508.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/04/2012 1:29 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
On 01/04/2012 13:08, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and
case. One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way
into the charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

You live, and hopefully, learn Adam.

Yep. One of those things, and life is and will always be a learning curve.

Not quite. It starts like that, then it turns into a forgetting curve. :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:08:00 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and case.

One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way into
the charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

At least with a bang, chances are good that something's obviously failed
when you look inside, and it's an easy fix - I prefer those kinds of
faults to "it just suddenly stopped working"...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:08:00 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and
case.

One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way
into the charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

At least with a bang, chances are good that something's obviously
failed when you look inside, and it's an easy fix - I prefer those
kinds of faults to "it just suddenly stopped working"...

It went bang twice:-) See my other posts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 1, 3:28*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:08:00 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have very nice (an quite new) Bosch cordless drill, charger and case.

One of the 2mm HSS drill bits I had left in the case made it's way into
the charger via the ventilation grills.

It went with a bang when I plugged it in today.

At least with a bang, chances are good that something's obviously failed
when you look inside, and it's an easy fix - I prefer those kinds of
faults to "it just suddenly stopped working"...

cheers

Jules

On the basis that 'bang'flash' clearly means a nasty short I suspect
that the site of the failure is obvious but at the same time it won't
be obvious how much additional damage has been done.

I would have thought that was a design fault as clearly anything metal
of =2mm diameter is liable to get in and blow it up, and there are
plenty of tacks and the like that could be in a work bag. Interesting
to see if you can succeed in claiming a replacement on the 'not-fit-
for-use' definition.

Rob