Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Panic buying (no, not fuel)

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or
2nd. So we don't realise just how much they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or
2nd. So we don't realise just how much they are.

Hence the rush to buy now!

My modest snail mail output is possibly still using stamps purchased
before the last hike.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:51:25 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore?

You've been able to get NVI's (Non-Value Indicators) for years, damn
handy when a price rise is due. I normally buy 60 1st Letter from
CostCo, last lot where 43p each, 3p below face value. May well be
making trip to CostCo RSN...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 10:12, brass monkey wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:
Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...
Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.
Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

5 pence.

4.96 pence.

Tim

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or
2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

As compared to about $4 US..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out
of 1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or
2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

As compared to about $4 US..

It was certainly $4 a few weeks ago - US gallon though. I don't think
diesel price has changed that much over here in months, but petrol price
has been all over the place; it's currently at 3.75/US-gal here (but
price varies a lot across the country - I think it's close on $5 in some
places)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
"The Medway wrote in message
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yep, yet again we're being screwed from arseholes to breakfast time.

I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

Thats more information than we really need;--(.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:03:59 +0100 The Medway Handyman wrote :
I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

When I was a child in the early 1960s a stamp and the Daily Mail cost 3d,
a gallon of petrol 4/6d (=14 x stamp/DM). Relatively they're all still
the same price, not that the DM would say so!

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:13:40 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:03:59 +0100 The Medway Handyman wrote :
I worked out yesterday that diesel is the equivalent of £6:72 a gallon.
Six pounds, fourteen shillings & eightpence!

When I was a child in the early 1960s a stamp and the Daily Mail cost
3d, a gallon of petrol 4/6d (=14 x stamp/DM). Relatively they're all
still the same price, not that the DM would say so!

I thought the standard benchmark was Mars Bars.

Mind, the Mars Bar was devalued a while ago when they changed the
'recipe'.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will
still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as
just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:53:52 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will
still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as
just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

You mean backwards. Forwards in time is in the future :-P

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or a screwdriver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:04:33 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will
still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as
just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

You mean backwards. Forwards in time is in the future :-P

Oh blimey it's 'im again.

Just think about it - what I said is logical.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

We were supposed to have flying cars in the 21st century.
The Internet is cool, but I'd rather have a flying car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will
still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as
just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

That's a bugbear of mine relating to the Irish PO - when I buy a stamp
for a letter journey - that's what I'm buying; one letter journey.
Now, if the prices go up and I've still got some older stamps in my
pocket/wallet/drawer I feel aggrieved that I have to now pay extra for
those letter journeys that I've already paid for and the PO has had my
money for.
I now see why the Irish PO don't make stamps that are un-priced on the
face, unlike RM which has had "1st" on the stamps for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 14:53, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or 2nd.
So we don't realise just how much they are.

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will
still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as
just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

Colin Bignell

Makes my purchase on 9th March rather modest. Even then I was surprised
that there were no stock problems. Maybe I shall have to return.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? *Just 1st or
2nd. *So we don't realise just how much they are.

Yeah, I spluttered when I heard the news.
"Stamps are to go up from 36p..." WTF? 36p???
I still think of them as 19p.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Just tell the women in your life to stop sending all these bloody cards
and we won't need Royal Mail at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 08:18, stuart noble wrote:
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Just tell the women in your life to stop sending all these bloody cards
and we won't need Royal Mail at all.

But remember you can also use the non-price-marked stamps for sending
larger items; so if you need to send a parcel (for which the post office
usually remains the default carrier for most people most of the time -
at least for smaller items) there's nothing to stop you slapping a dozen
2nd class stamps on or whatever.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Just tell the women in your life to stop sending all these bloody cards
and we won't need Royal Mail at all.

But remember you can also use the non-price-marked stamps for sending
larger items; so if you need to send a parcel (for which the post office
usually remains the default carrier for most people most of the time -
at least for smaller items) there's nothing to stop you slapping a dozen
2nd class stamps on or whatever.

Collect+ is now my choice for quite a few parcels. Often cheaper and
certainly more convenient - I can take the parcel in a 9 p.m.!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Just tell the women in your life to stop sending all these bloody cards
and we won't need Royal Mail at all.

But remember you can also use the non-price-marked stamps for sending
larger items; so if you need to send a parcel (for which the post office
usually remains the default carrier for most people most of the time -
at least for smaller items) there's nothing to stop you slapping a dozen
2nd class stamps on or whatever.

Collect+ is now my choice for quite a few parcels. Often cheaper and
certainly more convenient - I can take the parcel in a 9 p.m.!

Hmm, never come across that before - I see that my nearest 'outlet' is a
corner shop closer to my home than the PO: I'll certainly be looking
into that - thanks!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

[...]

I used it to send back a damaged eBay item recently. Royal Mail wanted
about 14 quid to send the parcel 'tracked'. Collect+ charged £5.99 and
took a couple of days longer.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Today, my local, very small, Post office still had a stack of 100 x 2nd
class stamp packs that was about 4 inches thick.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2012 14:55, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Today, my local, very small, Post office still had a stack of 100 x 2nd
class stamp packs that was about 4 inches thick.

Colin Bignell

Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable rises?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Moonraker
writes
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Today, my local, very small, Post office still had a stack of 100 x 2nd
class stamp packs that was about 4 inches thick.

Colin Bignell

Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable rises?

If o are on self assessment you pay in advance already - just to avoid
the interest and the fines.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 March 2012 15:59:10 UTC+1, hugh wrote:
Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable rises?

If o are on self assessment you pay in advance already - just to avoid
the interest and the fines.

No you don't! For the financial year 2011-12 (started 5th April 2011), you make your first payment on account by 31st January 2012. Those of us on PAYE have made 10 out of the 12 payments we are due to make by then. You make a second payment on account by 31st July 2012. That's nearly four months after the tax year ends!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:51:59 +0100 Moonraker wrote :
Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable
rises?

If you are self employed and trade as a company you have some scope to
do this. When I had my UK business there was a year or two when I
arguably overpaid myself somewhat so as to get as much income taxed at
standard rate, rather than it falling into higher rate the following
year. If you're having an exceptionally good year it might be worth
doing the opposite.

I know of at least on person who owns a lot of shares held for a long
time and has a policy of never ever selling, whilst the best strategy
would almost certainly be to sell enough each year to get the CGT
exemption and buy back after 28 (?) days so as to start again with a
new base.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:13:41 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:

If you are self employed and trade as a company you have some scope to
do this.

The employed have some scope as well. If they are doing overtime that
may bump 'em up to the higher rate of tax. Just delay putting in a
few time sheets so that extra money arrives in the next rather than
current tax year.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 29, 10:13*pm, Tony Bryer wrote:
I know of at least on person who owns a lot of shares held for a long
time and has a policy of never ever selling, whilst the best strategy
would almost certainly be to sell enough each year to get the CGT
exemption and buy back after 28 (?) days so as to start again with a
new base.

I hope in several shares.
Please not the USA 401k / IRA / Roth of owning just 1-2 shares "for
the long term".

Companes get haircuts.
Big companies hit the law of big numbers re difficulty in keeping
existing revenue, never mind growing it.
Companies revert to the mean, MSFT 1980-2000 v 2000-2010.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 29, 3:51*pm, Moonraker wrote:
Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable rises?

Yes, you pay them to a lawyer as proxy for the state who in return
sets up a company into which your earnings are paid, so you pay lower
corporation tax on those earnings. You only draw out what you need for
subsistence, on which you pay full income tax, with the rest being
transferred to buy a property owned by another company you own
registered in Barbados etc. You then borrow against that home in
Barbados to buy a second home declared in the UK, on which you receive
40% relief.

So you avoid many inevitable rises.

Royal Mail is dead.
- It must deliver to every address.
- Profitability depends on multiple charges for delivering multiple
items against a single delivery transaction cost.
- Consumer & Business online purchasing and email erodes the
conventional paper-trail on which Royal Mail depended.
- Putting up prices merely reduces "stampfall" per transaction cost by
increasing substitution.

Investment will not work.
- Free cash flow to fund investment is in decline against declining
"stampfall" vs costs.
- Automation investment will not reduce physical delivery transaction
cost.

It is inevitable that delivery cost will be via postcode.
It is inevitable that the end delivery network will be sold to "Right-
To-Buy" postman becoming new courier firms (which are extremely
profitable).

Amazon had to burn the book business due to physical delivery cost.
Amazon will pick up a lot of micro-business that Ebay used to handle,
such as DIY parts, because it can offer one-stop delivery under one
charge which many Ebayers can not. Supermarkets are asleep whilst
Amazon can potentially pull the rug from under them.

Gov't in this mix could be interesting.
- Declining high street makes supermarkets an easy tax target,
something Amazon can avoid.
- Taxing the internet, "per-email", is a Whitehall Dream.

The "ebay effect" 1999-2009 was down to low transaction cost whereby a
bedroom business could compete even on just postage cost. Royal Mail
rises destroyed that progressive 2008 on, and that small business seed
has been destroyed (it was the nail in the coffin after cash-price
replaced higher credit-price).

Separating Parcel Force from Royal Mail was taking oxygen from a
patient.
Parcel Force can barely compete with ridiculous rates compared to
major couriers. Royal Mail can not compete due to its chargeable mix
being in decline in both total number and number per address. Idiotic
business planning, unless of course you were a corporate lobbyist in
which case you did a "Soros" (set the seed which creates your desired
result).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 28/03/2012 19:35, News wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Today, my local, very small, Post office still had a stack of 100 x 2nd
class stamp packs that was about 4 inches thick.

Colin Bignell

Electronic Xmas cards this year where possible
Small voluntary associations and those without the internet will be hit
quite hard.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:35:34 +0100, News
wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Costco sell them a bit cheaper...
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.
1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of
1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be
available until the prices rise ...

Costco sell them a bit cheaper...

Also Superdrug I believe

David