Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What time is it?

I forgot to wind my watch on so I thought it was 2 o'clock. Actually it
was 3 o'clock. But why does my PC say it is 16:07 now, and also the BBC
site says a little after four. The speaking clock has someone called
Fern saying 3.07 pm.

is this going to get put right before tomorrow?

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:08:46 PM UTC+1, Tim W wrote:
I forgot to wind my watch on so I thought it was 2 o'clock. Actually it
was 3 o'clock. But why does my PC say it is 16:07 now, and also the BBC
site says a little after four. The speaking clock has someone called
Fern saying 3.07 pm.

is this going to get put right before tomorrow?

Tim W

You were obviously abducted by aliens and are now unable to account for an hour. Check all over yourself for evidence of probing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 16:08, Tim W wrote:
I forgot to wind my watch on so I thought it was 2 o'clock. Actually it
was 3 o'clock. But why does my PC say it is 16:07 now, and also the BBC
site says a little after four. The speaking clock has someone called
Fern saying 3.07 pm.

is this going to get put right before tomorrow?

Tim W

Looks like your PC is an hour ahead of itself, and has advanced its
clock by *two* hours rather than one.

Did you advance it by one hour yourself? If so - if it's running Windoze
- it will have done an hour automatically, accounting for the two hour
advance.

Otherwise, is it a dual boot system, and have you booted both OS's
today? If so, each one will have advanced the clock by an hour -
explaining the two hour change.

Dunno about the BBC. Which page were you looking at? That may well
simply display your computer's system time rather than the *real* time.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 20:28, Roger Mills wrote:
On 25/03/2012 16:08, Tim W wrote:
[...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ has in the top left corner an analogue clock just
like the one that used to tick up to the hour on the nine o'clock news.
It looks like the real thing telling the real time but it is a sad and
shallow sham - all it does is read the time off your own computer and
then show it back to you apparently confirming that your PC's time is
dead right but actually just a con. Really! you would think the BBC
could use their own clock ffs.

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 16:08, Tim W wrote:
[...]

surely windoze has some sort of NTP client and some sort of timezone in
it? All I Know is that the clocks I CAN rely on are on the Linux and Mac
machines. (there are no windows machines in actual form left: only a
virtual one).

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:08:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

surely windoze has some sort of NTP client and some sort of timezone in
it?

Yes but I think it's off by default and it's nota simple click this
tick box to turn it on. At least in the versions of windows I've had
to play with.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote

surely windoze has some sort of NTP client and some sort of timezone in it?

Yes but I think it's off by default

Nope.

and it's nota simple click this tick box to turn it on.

Its on by default.

At least in the versions of windows I've had to play with.

Its been on by default since XP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ has in the top left corner an analogue clock just
like the one that used to tick up to the hour on the nine o'clock news.
It looks like the real thing telling the real time but it is a sad and
shallow sham - all it does is read the time off your own computer and
then show it back to you apparently confirming that your PC's time is
dead right but actually just a con. Really! you would think the BBC
could use their own clock ffs.

No analogue clock there that I can see.

surely windoze has some sort of NTP client and some sort of timezone in
it?

Of course - W7 has a time-leecher built in; was never sure if XP did,
as I used a small util for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W spake thus:

The speaking clock has someone called Fern saying 3.07 pm.

She's the new voice. The lady who provided the old voice sadly passed away
- she was on her third stroke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:41:42 +0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:

Tim W spake thus:

The speaking clock has someone called Fern saying 3.07 pm.

She's the new voice. The lady who provided the old voice sadly passed away
- she was on her third stroke.

You!
Coat!
Now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
I forgot to wind my watch on so I thought it was 2 o'clock. Actually
it was 3 o'clock. But why does my PC say it is 16:07 now, and also
the BBC site says a little after four. The speaking clock has someone
called Fern saying 3.07 pm.

is this going to get put right before tomorrow?

Last year the gf's dad put the clocks forward before going to bed. He has
never done this in 40 years of marriage, his wife has always done it.
Unfortunately she had already put the clocks forward before she went to bed.

Now on a Sunday he goes to the pub at 12 o clock and comes home at 4. He
went out at at 11 and got hammered with the extra hours drinking.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:37:41 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Tim W wrote:
I forgot to wind my watch on so I thought it was 2 o'clock.
Actually it was 3 o'clock. But why does my PC say it is 16:07
now, and also the BBC site says a little after four. The speaking
clock has someone called Fern saying 3.07 pm.

is this going to get put right before tomorrow?

Last year the gf's dad put the clocks forward before going to bed.
He has never done this in 40 years of marriage, his wife has always
done it. Unfortunately she had already put the clocks forward
before she went to bed.

Now on a Sunday he goes to the pub at 12 o clock and comes home at
4. He went out at at 11 and got hammered with the extra hours
drinking.

and you think he doesn't know what the time really is? :-)

TBH the gf and I both believe he is showing signs of dementia but no one
will do anything about it (ie his wife).

Or can the gf go and see his GP about it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim W wrote:
[...]

Dunno but don't hang around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:47:23 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

TBH the gf and I both believe he is showing signs of dementia but no one
will do anything about it (ie his wife).

Or can the gf go and see his GP about it?

Can't see why not but the GP probably can't do a lot without his
precense but a query can be added to Dads notes for the next time he
visits for something else. Ideally nothing should be brushed under
carpet but raising such a subject and having a sensible discussion
about it will be anything but easy.

Both my parents are dead, a stroke (out of the blue) got me Mum and
old age (96) got me Dad. So I'm lucky not to have had to deal with
dementia.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

TBH the gf and I both believe he is showing signs of dementia
but no one will do anything about it (ie his wife).

Or can the gf go and see his GP about it?

Can't see why not but the GP probably can't do a lot without his
precense but a query can be added to Dads notes for the next
time he visits for something else. Ideally nothing should be brushed
under carpet but raising such a subject and having a sensible
discussion about it will be anything but easy.

Both my parents are dead, a stroke (out of the blue) got me Mum and old
age (96) got me Dad. So I'm lucky not to have had to deal with dementia.

Not really, its still only a minority that get it.