Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV over the internet

Apologies for asking again a question I posed a short while ago,
but it anyone actually accessing BBC over the net when outside the UK?
If so, I'd like to hear of your experience.

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone is watching TV over the internet
on a smart TV attached directly to a router.
(I have a Linksys WRT54GL router running dd-wrt.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2012 18:44, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Apologies for asking again a question I posed a short while ago,
but it anyone actually accessing BBC over the net when outside the UK?
If so, I'd like to hear of your experience.

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

If its for personal use, and you have broadband with enough uplink
throughput, have you considered setting up your own?

VPN to your home machine and then surf away.

(slingbox might be another alternative)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone is watching TV over the internet
on a smart TV attached directly to a router.
(I have a Linksys WRT54GL router running dd-wrt.)

Have set one up for someone... not much too it really.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the
"UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that any VPN service is liable
to discovery and having its access blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2012 19:48, Andy Burns wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the
"UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that any VPN service is liable
to discovery and having its access blocked.

Yes, friend out in Bulgaria though he'd found the ideal VPN to hide
himself away from a dodgy torrent tracker site. That euphoria only
lasted all of two days...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the "UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that
any VPN service is
liable to discovery and having its access blocked.

Yes, friend out in Bulgaria though he'd found the ideal VPN to hide
himself away from a dodgy torrent tracker site. That euphoria only
lasted all of two days...

It must be possible to hide it well enough so the site never notices
that its not just another individual in britain using the site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2012 22:43, Rod Speed wrote:
Adrian C wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the "UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that
any VPN service is
liable to discovery and having its access blocked.

Yes, friend out in Bulgaria though he'd found the ideal VPN to hide
himself away from a dodgy torrent tracker site. That euphoria only
lasted all of two days...

It must be possible to hide it well enough so the site never notices
that its not just another individual in britain using the site.

Easy if it *is* one individual, harder if its multiple concurrent
connections from thousands of individuals.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian C wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing
the "UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that any VPN service
is liable to discovery and having its access blocked.

Yes, friend out in Bulgaria though he'd found the ideal VPN to hide
himself away from a dodgy torrent tracker site. That euphoria only
lasted all of two days...

It must be possible to hide it well enough so the site never notices
that its not just another individual in britain using the site.

Easy if it *is* one individual, harder if its multiple concurrent connections from thousands of individuals.

Sure, so you dont do it that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

I don't know how pro-active the BBC (or it's CDN) is on enforcing the
"UK only" limitations, but it strikes me that any VPN service is liable
to discovery and having its access blocked.

Not if its your own machine and is only used occasionally.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Apologies for asking again a question I posed a short while ago,
but it anyone actually accessing BBC over the net when outside the UK?
If so, I'd like to hear of your experience.

I was recommended to try ViperVPN, but the UK branch of this
doesn't seem to be functioning any more?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone is watching TV over the internet
on a smart TV attached directly to a router.
(I have a Linksys WRT54GL router running dd-wrt.)

I HAVE watched TV over the internet being received on one machine with
a TV card and then re-exported to another machine using I think VLC.

If you have a fixed IP address I may be able to arrange a UK based high
bandwidth web proxy ...but I will not open it up to abuse ... beyond
specific IP addresses.

and how hard it is to achieve it.