Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extension leads

Hi,

About ten years ago I bought an extension lead from Wickes. Not
knowing any better at the time, I bought a long one, thinking that a
long one could be used when long or short lengths were required,
whereas a short one could only be used for short lengths.

Then I came and read here and I learnt that long leads had
disadvantages. I can't remember now whether this was because of
voltage drop or fault currents, or may be both. Can someone remind me?

Anyway, some of my tools have started switching on and off
intermittently when plugged into the lead, and I can only assume that
over the years the contacts in the extension socket have been worn and
are not making a good connection to the plug.

So it is time to buy a new lead or leads. I seem to remember reading
that 1.5mm^2 cores could only be used safely up to 15m and 2.5mm^2
cores (in a caravan power lead) could be used up to 25m. Is there any
advantage to buying a short "caravan hook-up" cable to use for lengths
under 25m?

Otherwise I'm thinking I could use the cable from the Wickes lead, or
possibly use arctic flex as an improvement, to make some short leads.

TIA

Extension leads - electrical safety David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 37 January 12th 12 02:20 AM
Extension leads Fred UK diy 32 November 20th 10 04:20 PM
Extension leads, external wiring, Part P etc. David WE Roberts UK diy 22 November 17th 09 07:39 AM
Dumb question ? - fridges / extension leads Colin Wilson UK diy 38 October 12th 09 08:44 PM
extension leads Tony UK diy 10 June 9th 06 06:50 PM