Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best Finish for Ash faced MDF..

As above we've just made up some desk furniture for a small community
radio station project.

Anyone any ideas for a good finish on this which is waterproof and
reasonably scuff resistant. Don't want to varnish it as such perhaps
Beeswax or similar, or anything else recommended that keeps the original
colour of the wood?.

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

As above we've just made up some desk furniture for a small community
radio station project.

Anyone any ideas for a good finish on this which is waterproof and
reasonably scuff resistant. Don't want to varnish it as such perhaps
Beeswax or similar, or anything else recommended that keeps the original
colour of the wood?.

Cheers...

For the type of performance you want Varnish is the answer really. I've
just finished an ash project - mix of ash faced mdf and real ash. I used
satin quick drying floor varnish from toolstation which seemed to keep
the colour ok.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_1764.jpg

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2012 15:33, tony sayer wrote:

As above we've just made up some desk furniture for a small community
radio station project.

Anyone any ideas for a good finish on this which is waterproof and
reasonably scuff resistant. Don't want to varnish it as such perhaps
Beeswax or similar, or anything else recommended that keeps the original
colour of the wood?.

The matt quick drying varnishes don't alter the colour of the wood
particularly, and give some protection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 15:33, tony sayer wrote:
As above we've just made up some desk furniture for a small community
radio station project.

Anyone any ideas for a good finish on this which is waterproof and
reasonably scuff resistant. Don't want to *varnish it as such perhaps
Beeswax or similar, or anything else recommended that keeps the original
colour of the wood?.

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

A mix of oil-based varnish, white spirits and danish oil (oil-based)
in equal proportions. Put it on with a cloth and wipe off excess after
a few minutes. You need 5-10 coats but it soaks in giving an extremely
durable surface, that won't chip like varnish on the surface.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Jonathan scribeth thus
On 11 Mar, 15:33, tony sayer wrote:
As above we've just made up some desk furniture for a small community
radio station project.

Anyone any ideas for a good finish on this which is waterproof and
reasonably scuff resistant. Don't want to *varnish it as such perhaps
Beeswax or similar, or anything else recommended that keeps the original
colour of the wood?.

Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

A mix of oil-based varnish, white spirits and danish oil (oil-based)
in equal proportions. Put it on with a cloth and wipe off excess after
a few minutes. You need 5-10 coats but it soaks in giving an extremely
durable surface, that won't chip like varnish on the surface.

Jonathan

Thanks for that Jonathan. However I seem to be having a job finding any
Oil based Varnish. All seems to be Polyutherane and or water, any
particular products you can recommend please?..

cheers...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

you need two pack polyurethane 'yacht varnish'..

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Varnishes.html

But anything called 'yacht varnish' will be a thoroughly health warning
strewn solvent based 'proper' varnish.

Be warned much of it will say 'not suitable for use on yachts' tho :-)

Be prepared to spend a reasonable amount of money and a LOT of time....

cheers...

and how hard it is to achieve it.