Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing old toilet with close-coupled unit

I'm thinking of replacing an old toilet with a modern close-coupled unit.
The old toilet has probably been there for the last 40 odd years. The
cistern seems to be made from black Bakelite. This is low-level and is
screwed to the wall with a pipe about 18 inches (46 cm) long connecting it
to the toilet bowl. This toilet has an 'S' trap which goes into a cast iron
waste pipe. The distance from the wall to the centre of the waste pipe is
about 9 inches (23 cm).

If I replace this with a close-coupled unit, will it push the toilet bowl
further from the wall than it already is and, if so, will the new cistern
need some kind of support. For example, would I need to build some sort of
box to lean the cistern up against?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2012 20:10, Wesley wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing an old toilet with a modern close-coupled unit.
The old toilet has probably been there for the last 40 odd years. The
cistern seems to be made from black Bakelite. This is low-level and is
screwed to the wall with a pipe about 18 inches (46 cm) long connecting it
to the toilet bowl. This toilet has an 'S' trap which goes into a cast iron
waste pipe. The distance from the wall to the centre of the waste pipe is
about 9 inches (23 cm).

If I replace this with a close-coupled unit, will it push the toilet bowl
further from the wall than it already is and, if so, will the new cistern
need some kind of support. For example, would I need to build some sort of
box to lean the cistern up against?

In my experience, close coupled pans are usually *closer* to the wall
than than the older low-level ones. The main problem usually is getting
the waste in the right place to connect up to the old waste pipe -
particularly if it disappears vertically through the floor.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'm thinking of replacing an old toilet with a modern close-coupled unit.
The old toilet has probably been there for the last 40 odd years. The
cistern seems to be made from black Bakelite. This is low-level and is
screwed to the wall with a pipe about 18 inches (46 cm) long connecting it
to the toilet bowl. This toilet has an 'S' trap which goes into a cast
iron waste pipe. The distance from the wall to the centre of the waste
pipe is about 9 inches (23 cm).

If I replace this with a close-coupled unit, will it push the toilet bowl
further from the wall than it already is and, if so, will the new cistern
need some kind of support. For example, would I need to build some sort
of box to lean the cistern up against?

Having done this recently, yes, the tank won't go straight back against the
wall. Unless you trim the waste pipe completely flat against the wall and
really push the 'bowl' hard against the wall. Personally I wouldn't worry.
The new toilet is so much more stable than the old one and a couple of
inches gap is no big thing (just tile behind it).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 8:10*pm, "Wesley" wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing an old toilet with a modern close-coupled unit.
The old toilet has probably been there for the last 40 odd years. *The
cistern seems to be made from black Bakelite. *This is low-level and is
screwed to the wall with a pipe about 18 inches (46 cm) long connecting it
to the toilet bowl. This toilet has an 'S' trap which goes into a cast iron
waste pipe. *The distance from the wall to the centre of the waste pipe is
about 9 inches (23 cm).

If I replace this with a close-coupled unit, will it push the toilet bowl
further from the wall than it already is and, if so, will the new cistern
need some kind of support. *For example, would I need to build some sort of
box to lean the cistern up against?

You will have a problem making a modern close coupled toilet fit. The
drain is usually too far from the wall. This means you would have to
rig up something to support the tank. You can fit battens to the wall
and erect a complete new "partition wall" in front of existing using
plaster board.. You need to put tank support batten in the wall too.
You need to do some careful measuring before you start to get the
drain ending up the correct distance from the new wall

Or dig up and modify the (drain big job).

Or just buy a new non close coupled toilet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 9, 8:10 pm, "Wesley" wrote:
[...]

I should have mentioned that the cast iron waste outlet pipe is in the
*floor* and can't easily be moved as it's in an upstairs room.

Would it be possible to install a close- coupled toilet and build a box
behind it afterwards? That way I could be sure of getting the measurements
for the box right. Is the cistern on these toilets completely supported by
the toilet pan or do they rely on leaning against a wall for some of their
support?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
Is the cistern on these toilets completely supported by the toilet pan or
do they rely on leaning against a wall for some of their support?

Completely supported by the pan and completely stable. They're bolted on to
the pan, they don't move an inch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y