Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maximise scrap value?

I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/02/2012 22:04, Syd wrote:
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

Certainly well worth separating clean copper from mixed copper/brass.

I *think* copper + solder should go with the brass, but check with your
local scrapper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Newshound" wrote in message
On 29/02/2012 22:04, Syd wrote:
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of
scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

Certainly well worth separating clean copper from mixed copper/brass.

I *think* copper + solder should go with the brass, but check with your
local scrapper.

When I was plumbing I separated the copper, then the rest, taps etc went in
as mixed brass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Syd" wrote in message
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting it.
A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator without a
licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Syd" wrote in message
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting
it. A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator
without a licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a thing
in the UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

wrote

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting
it. A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator
without a licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a thing
in the UK

No it'd never happen here, or of it did, it would be bound be to
somewhere darn sarf, eh?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/business/boltonbusiness/4376401.Plumber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2012 09:18, Andy Burns wrote:
harryagain wrote:

wrote

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting
it. A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator
without a licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a
thing
in the UK

No it'd never happen here, or of it did, it would be bound be to
somewhere darn sarf, eh?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/business/boltonbusiness/4376401.Plumber___s_anger_at_waste_licence_fine

Lunatics....asylum

License is supposed to cover extra cost of tipping. But he won't have
been tipping it, surely? So it's not waste, it's recycling. And aren't
we all supposed to be doing this to reduce the landfill charge.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a thing
in the UK

And because you've never heard of it, it must be false.

Do you refer to the Ukraine when you say UK? 'cos it happens in Britain
regularly. It's been mentioned on uk.diy several times and following the
cops doing spot checks has been on done on telly as one of those "Police
Stop Scream"/"Rogue Traders" things (and I don't even watch TV.)

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
wrote:

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Syd" wrote in message
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of
scrap, now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there
are many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the
yorks/soldered fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting
it. A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator
without a licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a
thing in the UK

in which case you haven't been listening very hard.

Transfer of waste which is not your personal property needs a licence.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2012 09:34, charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of
scrap, now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there
are many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the
yorks/soldered fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting
it. A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator
without a licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Depends which police state country he is from. Never heard of such a
thing in the UK

in which case you haven't been listening very hard.

Transfer of waste which is not your personal property needs a licence.

It's well documented that Raoul Moat got stopped by David Rathband (RIP)
for not having the "right" license who also confiscated his van. Both
paid rather dearly!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx
scribeth thus
On 01/03/2012 09:34, charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message
om...

wrote in message
[...]

Yes poor sod .. found dead at his home earlier...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17216389
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
Transfer of waste which is not your personal property needs a licence.

A plumber transporting his (the plumber's) plumbing waste is obviously
somebody transfering their own property. Who else does the plumber's
plumbing waste belong to? The transaction with the client includes
transfers ownership of leftover rubbish to the plumber.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jgharston wrote:
charles wrote:
Transfer of waste which is not your personal property needs a licence.

A plumber transporting his (the plumber's) plumbing waste is obviously
somebody transfering their own property. Who else does the plumber's
plumbing waste belong to? The transaction with the client includes
transfers ownership of leftover rubbish to the plumber.

Does it really? That's why most tradesmen don't remove the waste they have
created?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 03:54:11 -0800 (PST), jgharston wrote:

A plumber transporting his (the plumber's) plumbing waste is obviously
somebody transfering their own property. Who else does the plumber's
plumbing waste belong to? The transaction with the client includes
transfers ownership of leftover rubbish to the plumber.

No the bits of pipe etc that the plumber creates during the work he
is doing is "commercial waste" and the plumber should have the proper
waste transfer licence and should also give and have signed a waste
transfer document with the house holder.

The law surrounding waste and its transport is a right mess.
Technically the skin of the banana that the plumber eats for his
lunch is "commercial waste" and if he leaves it in his van to take
home to put on his compost heap he is breaking the law if he doesn't
have a Waste Transfer Licence.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MuddyMike
scribeth thus

"Syd" wrote in message
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of scrap,
now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there are
many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the yorks/soldered
fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I hope you have the appropriate waste transfer license for transporting it.
A local plumber got a £200 fine for transporting a scrap radiator without a
licence when stopped in a roadside check!

Just how stupid is that. No wonder people chuck stuff by the roadside!...

Mike

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd wrote:
I run a plumbing business and have collected a reasonable amount of
scrap, now its weigh in time.

The clean copper is separate from soldered fittings (cut off), there
are many bath/basin taps, brass with copper attached then the
yorks/soldered fittings with solder on them.

Can the these all go together or is it best to separate further?

I got £4.67 per KG of clean copper pipe - that is to say without any brass
fittings, plastic clips etc, there were soldered joints all over it and this
was the maximum paid for copper so I wouldn't worry too much about solder.

Clean brass, IE with no or very little copper attatched and again free of
plastics etc netted me £3 a KG and again this was the max for brass.

If you have a mixture, you'll probably get the price for 'brazey' for your
brass and copper mix, not sure what price it is but it's quite a bit less
than £3 per KG

These prices were 2 weeks ago.

I also got 17p a KG for iron and steel, not a lot, but I had over a tonne of
it