Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tilling Shower Cubicle

I am having to re tile a portion of my shower cubicle which leaked. I
have replaced the lower section of damp plaster board with Aquaboard.
I was wonder whether it was worth using bath trim for the joint
between the bottom of the tiles and the shower tray, or just a bead of
silicon. If I use the trim what do I do at the inner corner, just cut
at 45 degress and lots of silicon?
Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am having to re tile a portion of my shower cubicle which leaked. I
have replaced the lower section of damp plaster board with Aquaboard.

Good move - showers always have problems with the odd bit of water seepage
through dodgey sealant, or a failing grout line - if not now, it will happen
eventually.

I was wonder whether it was worth using bath trim for the joint
between the bottom of the tiles and the shower tray, or just a bead of
silicon. If I use the trim what do I do at the inner corner, just cut
at 45 degress and lots of silicon?

Can't comment on the trim but for silicone, I would:

a) Clean out and re-silicone the tray to the panel.

b) Tile (use water resistant adhesive rated for domestic showers) and a good
grout - powder mix is better than readymix IME. Leave a 4mm gap between
tiles and tray and rake out any grout thet gets in here to the full depth

c) Pump the tile-tray joint full. It matters little what sort of bevel you
use as long as there is a good plug of silicone in there. I like radius
beads, others like the 45 degree flat finish. Ultimately having a deep plug
of silicone will give strenght and long life to the joint even if the suface
finish deteriorates a bit.

It's when you apply a surface bead only (to a tight tile-tray joing) that
the problems happen (ie cheap fitting job where they forgot to leave a gap
between tile and tray or tile and bath). Should you end up in this position,
then I would be tempted to investigate the trim option - but a nice bead of
silicone looks neater IMHO.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 2:57*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that all makes good sense

Shower Cubicle JonG UK diy 13 October 12th 07 05:18 PM
new shower cubicle installation [email protected] UK diy 5 March 21st 06 03:35 PM
Re-Tiling shower cubicle jon UK diy 6 February 2nd 06 11:43 PM
Zones around a shower cubicle Les Desser UK diy 11 May 16th 05 12:11 AM