Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Paper recycling question

Our council has just announced that rather than have a separate glass
collection, we can now put all our bottles in our general recycling bin
along with the cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles etc.

On the one hand this is more convenient for me but I had always thought at
broken glass shards were a major headache for paper recyclers. So, is this
a good thing or a reflection of the lack of value of waste paper which may
now be either not being recycled or perhaps going though some less
discriminating recycling process?

The council also gave up sorting glass quite some time ago which also
concerned me a bit given the lack of value to recyclers of unsorted glass.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
Our council has just announced that rather than have a separate glass
collection, we can now put all our bottles in our general recycling bin
along with the cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles etc.

On the one hand this is more convenient for me but I had always thought at
broken glass shards were a major headache for paper recyclers. So, is this
a good thing or a reflection of the lack of value of waste paper which may
now be either not being recycled or perhaps going though some less
discriminating recycling process?

The council also gave up sorting glass quite some time ago which also
concerned me a bit given the lack of value to recyclers of unsorted glass.

Oddly enough, a mixed waste system can end up recovering more
recyclables than a segregated one. It is much less bother for the
householder to drop everything into one big bin than to sort it and put
it into multiple bins, so more people recycle.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Our council tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling
bins. When I visited the sorting facility recently, it was clear
that the screens they used to separate small stuff for landfill
would pass any paper shreddings.

I asked about this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2012 21:39 Chris J Dixon wrote:

Our council tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling
bins. When I visited the sorting facility recently, it was clear
that the screens they used to separate small stuff for landfill
would pass any paper shreddings.

I asked about this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Our's says 'no shredded paper'. They say it gums up their machinery.
They also don't accept glass in the recycling bin. It seems like they
expect us to burn petrol to take it to them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 15/02/2012 21:39 Chris J Dixon wrote:

Our council tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling
bins. When I visited the sorting facility recently, it was clear
that the screens they used to separate small stuff for landfill
would pass any paper shreddings.

I asked about this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Our's says 'no shredded paper'. They say it gums up their machinery.
They also don't accept glass in the recycling bin. It seems like they
expect us to burn petrol to take it to them!

The best strategy is to put it in the car, take an unusual route to
work, and fly tip. Why should we play their silly game?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 01:28, Bill Wright wrote:
F wrote:
On 15/02/2012 21:39 Chris J Dixon wrote:

Our council tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling
bins. When I visited the sorting facility recently, it was clear
that the screens they used to separate small stuff for landfill
would pass any paper shreddings.

I asked about this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Our's says 'no shredded paper'. They say it gums up their machinery.
They also don't accept glass in the recycling bin. It seems like they
expect us to burn petrol to take it to them!

The best strategy is to put it in the car, take an unusual route to
work, and fly tip. Why should we play their silly game?

There's a difference between not playing to the rules (eg putting paper
in general rubbish rather than recycling) and being an utter **** who
fly tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our's says 'no shredded paper'.

Same here in N.London. But in the same breath they encourage us to shred
bills etc to avoid identity theft :-(.

But at least our waste is no longer driven all the way to Birmingham for
sorting - or at least they tell us it's not.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul D Smith wrote:
Our's says 'no shredded paper'.

Same here in N.London. But in the same breath they encourage us to
shred bills etc to avoid identity theft :-(.

But at least our waste is no longer driven all the way to Birmingham for
sorting - or at least they tell us it's not.

Paul DS

No, it now goes to Tyne and Wear, where they need the jobs, instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Our council tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling
bins. When I visited the sorting facility recently, it was clear
that the screens they used to separate small stuff for landfill
would pass any paper shreddings.

I asked about this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

So they treat us like children! ******** to it! I will continue to
subvert their rules.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They ban shredded paper here, and at the moment I have a lot of this so I
used to do it via a neighbour, but now I don't as they chucked it all out
last time.

brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Nightjar wrote:

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Probably also more cost efficient as you have to sort 'segregated' waste
anyway to take out all the things that have ben incorrectly included.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

It's all ******** anyway. They use CO2 to send the glass to China where
they use it as hardcore. Total nonsense.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

It's all ******** anyway. They use CO2 to send the glass to China

Where can I buy one of these CO2 powered bulk transporters?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I wish our council would do this. However I gave up recycling as the
firm are a health and safety nightmare for blind people, just chucking bins
and bags into the property from the street and I damn nearly broke an ankle.
Brian

--
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim writes:

The council also gave up sorting glass quite some time ago which also
concerned me a bit given the lack of value to recyclers of unsorted glass.

The collected glass isn't recycled - it's not viable to do so.
It's ground up and used as foundations for roads and the like.
It's a way of burying it in the ground without attracting landfill
tax.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
Our council has just announced that rather than have a separate glass
collection, we can now put all our bottles in our general recycling bin
along with the cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles etc.

Our council already do that and they have a collection wagon that looks
like Heath Robinson designed it. The poor guys who work on it have to
manually sort the mixed junk into the right skips on the side. When one
skip is full a crazy system of hydraulics and levers yanks it all high
into the air and lobs it into the divided lorry sections. On a windy day
the behaviour of large plastic lemonade bottles is not ideal. I always
wonder what would happen if they did this underneath a phone or
electricity line.

They do have a separate paper feed in a blue bag, but cans, glass and
plastic bottles are all in one mixed box. I pity the guys sorting it.

On the one hand this is more convenient for me but I had always thought at
broken glass shards were a major headache for paper recyclers. So, is this
a good thing or a reflection of the lack of value of waste paper which may
now be either not being recycled or perhaps going though some less
discriminating recycling process?

The council also gave up sorting glass quite some time ago which also
concerned me a bit given the lack of value to recyclers of unsorted glass.

They are going through the motions to score the %age recycling brownie
points. To be fair our council does run very good recycling tips. The
thing that kerbside collections highlight for me is how much cardboard
there is (they don't collect that as it has no marginal value at all).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 09:13 Martin Brown wrote:

They are going through the motions to score the %age recycling brownie
points.

I suppose they would get *brownie* points if they went through the
motions to recycle them...

And they do recycle sh*t round here. To farmers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 09:57, F wrote:
On 16/02/2012 09:13 Martin Brown wrote:

They are going through the motions to score the %age recycling brownie
points.

I suppose they would get *brownie* points if they went through the
motions to recycle them...

And they do recycle sh*t round here. To farmers.

A farm about 5 miles away did that one year. You could smell it on the
wind when it blew in the wrong direction. He practically made his nearby
village unliveable with the smell and was black balled for it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

They are going through the motions to score the %age recycling brownie
points. To be fair our council does run very good recycling tips. The
thing that kerbside collections highlight for me is how much cardboard
there is (they don't collect that as it has no marginal value at all).

We have a 'brown' bin which is nominally for garden waste but also
allows cardboard and shredded paper which apparently goes into the
compost too.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
Our council has just announced that rather than have a separate glass
collection, we can now put all our bottles in our general recycling bin
along with the cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles etc.

Our council already do that and they have a collection wagon that looks
like Heath Robinson designed it. The poor guys who work on it have to
manually sort the mixed junk into the right skips on the side. When one
skip is full a crazy system of hydraulics and levers yanks it all high
into the air and lobs it into the divided lorry sections. On a windy day
the behaviour of large plastic lemonade bottles is not ideal. I always
wonder what would happen if they did this underneath a phone or
electricity line.

Kerbside sorting - pioneered by Islington IIRC.
Not having the householder have to sort the recycle waste gets the
highest recycle rate, but having workers do it at the kerbside also
makes it the most expensive recycling scheme.

They are going through the motions to score the %age recycling brownie
points. To be fair our council does run very good recycling tips. The
thing that kerbside collections highlight for me is how much cardboard
there is (they don't collect that as it has no marginal value at all).

Ours do. It may well end up in an incinerator though.

Of course, burying paper and cardboard in the ground is the opposite
of digging up coal and burning it, but logic never comes in to such
considerations. It's always someone's blinkered target over a holistic
understanding of the whole picture.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Kerbside sorting - pioneered by Islington IIRC.
Not having the householder have to sort the recycle waste gets the
highest recycle rate, but having workers do it at the kerbside also
makes it the most expensive recycling scheme.

Not always.
We can dump all our recycling in a wheelie bin that they empty weekly.
It then goes to a sorting plant where much of it is separated automatically.
Far cheaper than kerbside sorting and just as easy for the householder.

I would suggest that Islington is wasting taxpayers cash if they are still
doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 14:17, dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Kerbside sorting - pioneered by Islington IIRC.
Not having the householder have to sort the recycle waste gets the
highest recycle rate, but having workers do it at the kerbside also
makes it the most expensive recycling scheme.

Not always.
We can dump all our recycling in a wheelie bin that they empty weekly.
It then goes to a sorting plant where much of it is separated
automatically.
Far cheaper than kerbside sorting and just as easy for the householder.

I would suggest that Islington is wasting taxpayers cash if they are
still doing it.

It seems to me that the larger the city the weirder and more
inconvenient for householders their waste recycling scheme.

Although for my money Salford takes the biscuit with no fewer than four
full size wheelie bins for every household. Household waste is black,
the "green" garden waste bin is a lurid shocking pink, blue is for
cardboard and paper and brown is for glass, cans and plastic.

Any advance on four full size wheelie bins per household?

(I have seen a few others with smaller bins of many colours)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Kerbside sorting - pioneered by Islington IIRC.
Not having the householder have to sort the recycle waste gets the
highest recycle rate, but having workers do it at the kerbside also
makes it the most expensive recycling scheme.

Not always.
We can dump all our recycling in a wheelie bin that they empty weekly.
It then goes to a sorting plant where much of it is separated
automatically. Far cheaper than kerbside sorting and just as easy for the
householder.

I would suggest that Islington is wasting taxpayers cash if they are still
doing it.

Let's think about this:

Chomp the waste up into crumbs and either put it in an air blower or a water
bath. Either way, glass crumbs and metal sink, plastic floats and paper will
float more or become slurry.

Metal and glass are easily seperated by magenetic techniques - so the only
two problems I can see a

How to seperate grades of plastic - maybe the mix goes to some crap use that
doesn't matter?

How to cope with kitchen waste in the equation as IIRC Harrow do? Other
council's answer to kitchen waste is to shove it in the garden waste and use
composting farms that get the temperature reliably high to kill evil bugs.

So I can almost see how automatic recycling seperation could be done - love
to see it explained properly through.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:31:28 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Around here they just have recycling points here and there - paper and
cardboard in one, glass and plastics in the other. AFAIK it gets sorted
at the local tip[1]; I have no idea how or what they then do with it all,
though.

[1] except that at the tip they want you to separate out corrugated card
from other card/paper, yet this isn't a requirement at the scattered
recycling points.

(refuse collection is an optional service here, rather than being bundled
in with the equivalent of council tax)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
Our council has just announced that rather than have a separate glass
collection, we can now put all our bottles in our general recycling bin
along with the cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles etc.

Our council already do that and they have a collection wagon that looks
like Heath Robinson designed it. The poor guys who work on it have to
manually sort the mixed junk into the right skips on the side. When one
skip is full a crazy system of hydraulics and levers yanks it all high
into the air and lobs it into the divided lorry sections. On a windy day
the behaviour of large plastic lemonade bottles is not ideal. I always
wonder what would happen if they did this underneath a phone or
electricity line.

They do have a separate paper feed in a blue bag, but cans, glass and
plastic bottles are all in one mixed box. I pity the guys sorting it.

Cans, glass and plastic are easily separated automatically. Eddy
currents generated by AC electromagnets (Essentially laid out as linear
motors) drive the metal off the track, and the glass is dense, so it
isn't blown away by the air jets or lifted by the fluid flotation
methods used to get the plastic off the track. Sorting different
plastics can be a right pain in the backside.

Ferrous and non-ferrous metals are easily separated, although separating
the non-ferrous stream into useful fractions is not so easy, and both
streams need the steel and iron to be clean, i.e not fastened to
non-ferrous bits. Pop rivets or pop riveted assemblies tend to be a
problem, as there's usually a steel core inside the aluminium tube.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

Ours has a 140 litre grey bin for non-recyclable waste, collected every
week; a 240 litre green bin for garden waste (we can also put food waste
in it) that is collected for some form of accelerated composting every
fortnight; a 240 litre black bin for glass bottles, plastic bottles and
tin cans, which is collected once a month; and finally a 240 litre blue
bin for paper and cardboard that is collected once a month. Which all
works out as the grey bin plus one other bin each week and seems to work
pretty well. Although I did get close to emptying rubbish bags into the
council offices when they failed to collect our grey bin (along with a
number of others) one Wednesday, then failed to answer the phone after I
got home from work (even picking it up an dropping it back down to lose
the call), making sure I could not call until Thursday morning. On
Thursday when I got through, they said it would be 48 hours before they
could empty it, but as that put it back to Saturday (due to their
failure to answer the phone), it would actually be Monday or possibly
Tuesday. I pointed out that our bin was completely full, we were a
houshold of five and two of the kids were still in disposable nappies
and it was the height of summer, but it did no good. That part of the
"service" I am not at all happy about - especially as 50% of the wagons
serving other areas drive past the end of our road every day!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2012 18:57, Tim wrote:
[...]

My mother has one place for all recyclables which makes it very easy.

We have:
A grey bin for non-recyclables. It would take us about a month to fill it.

A brown bin for garden refuse

A box for glass and cans

A sack for paper

A sack for cardboard

Disposable bags for plastics

An inside waste food bin with corn starch liners (not suitable for warm or
wet food) that are transferred to an outside bin.

We are just a couple but only the food bin goes out regularly for hygiene
reasons rather than because it is full.

Our collections have so far been very reliable but the costs involved must
be horrendous.