Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flame retardant workwear

Hi,

I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
I was wondering what they are?. A lot of welder's over wear is flame
retardant and that makes sense but I am puzzled why their underwear
needs to be flame retardant if their upper layers are?

Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY1ifoM53orBYfecJipMr_uAdJeRHQi WZ2ChCrdXM21_IcnA69kg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:59*am, Andy Burns wrote:
Fred wrote:
I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY1ifoM53orBYfec....

That is going to open the floodgates for all sorts of angle grinder/
lady parts related comments lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred laid this down on his screen :
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

I have managed to set several pairs of overalls alight so far, during
angle grinder use :')

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Fred laid this down on his screen :
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

I have managed to set several pairs of overalls alight so far, during
angle grinder use :')

Not sure about boiler suits but SWMBO has just bought a pair of Nomex
gloves..to test them I put my hand on the hottest aga hotplate (c 130C).
Yuip. Can barely feel it.

Recommended +10.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Fred laid this down on his screen :
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

I have managed to set several pairs of overalls alight so far, during
angle grinder use :')

I had 2 guys 75' up a 150' tower a few years back that we were taking
down. They were using a petrol driven disc cutter. Fortunately they
were wearing flame retardant padded clothing. When they came down one
of them had burnt through one of the leggings with the sparks and not
noticed until they reached his leg. Could have been a bit awkward if he
had caught fire 75' up the tower.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY1ifoM53orBYfec...

That is going to open the floodgates for all sorts of angle grinder/
lady parts related comments lol

RTFM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANNY-GASL...ht_775 wt_952

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 10:32, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
I was wondering what they are?. A lot of welder's over wear is flame
retardant and that makes sense but I am puzzled why their underwear
needs to be flame retardant if their upper layers are?

Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

TIA

I wear them when I am Offshore, working outside the temp refuge, I also
wear flameproof overhauls over the top. Just an extra layer of
protection in case the worst happens.

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:32*am, Fred wrote:
I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
I was wondering what they are?.

Mine are Nomex - ex US naval aircrew.

A lot of welder's over wear is flame retardant

Most isn't. You can certainly get this, but most (of what is worn) is
simply cotton rather than highly flammable synthetics.

For welding, the two favoured fireproofs are leather and Melton (a
dense wool). Most fireproof welding kit not only needs to avoid
ignition, but also to be a heat insulator to protect the wearer.
Leather is also much cheaper than anything else equally fireproof.

Good flameproofs are also impermeable, so they don't soak up fuels or
oil and then turn into a wick. Kevlar won't burn on its ownn, but soak
it in paraffin and it makes fire poi or flame juggling torches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/02/2012 21:51, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Feb 7, 10:32 am, wrote:
I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
I was wondering what they are?.

Mine are Nomex - ex US naval aircrew.

A lot of welder's over wear is flame retardant

Most isn't. You can certainly get this, but most (of what is worn) is
simply cotton rather than highly flammable synthetics.

For welding, the two favoured fireproofs are leather and Melton (a
dense wool). Most fireproof welding kit not only needs to avoid
ignition, but also to be a heat insulator to protect the wearer.
Leather is also much cheaper than anything else equally fireproof.

Good flameproofs are also impermeable, so they don't soak up fuels or
oil and then turn into a wick. Kevlar won't burn on its ownn, but soak
it in paraffin and it makes fire poi or flame juggling torches.

Flameproof underwear could save the skin from peeling in extreme
circumstances, not sure but dont racing drivers and RAF wear similar
because of the risk of fireballs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Hi,

I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so
cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals.
I was wondering what they are?. A lot of welder's over wear is flame
retardant and that makes sense but I am puzzled why their underwear
needs to be flame retardant if their upper layers are?

Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group
favourite, the angle grinder?

Pseudo formula one drivers?

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:32 am, wrote:
[...]

yes. very much so

I've seen drivers totally on fire soaked in fuel stagger away from
crashes and after being doused with extinguishers be perfectly all right
- not a scratch on them. Flame inhalations is the greatest danger, but
even then the helmet and the coveralls cover the mouth and nose.