Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trailer tyres - inner tubes ?

I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 3:17 pm, robgraham wrote:
I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob

"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2012 15:17, robgraham wrote:
I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob

If the trailer is not in everyday use why not remove the tyre and clean
up the wheel to remove rust etc and paint it. Mini tyres are not
difficult to remove and with improvised tyre levers, a soft faced
hammer, and soapy water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 4:51*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:17 pm, robgraham wrote:

I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. *It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? *I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob

"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Jim K

Thanks Jim - any one particularly recommended as there seems to be a
number on the market ? A quick fix for 1/4 mile runs to collect logs
is all that is required for the moment as the tyres aren't in their
first flush of youth and need replacing.

I might well take up the suggestion also over the summer to clean up
the wheels myself.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:36:38 +0000, djornsk wrote:

If the trailer is not in everyday use why not remove the tyre and clean
up the wheel to remove rust etc and paint it.

That's what I did with the wheels on my trailer that were also
leaking betwixt rim and bead after fitting new tyres. Local garage
was happy to remove the new tyres after fitting and finding they
leaked, let me take away rims to clean up and paint (used a zinc
laden paint) and put the tyres back on. They don't go down now....

You'll have to get the tyres at least half off to get tubes in and
you'll also need to make sure the tyres are suitable for tubes. Many
modern ones aren't, they have rough inner face which wears a tube
through rather quickly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 9:26 am, robgraham wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:51 pm, Jim K wrote:

[...]

aldidl sometimes have one for 3.50,
failing that local motospares.r.us.innit type outfit

you want one of the aerosol "inflation as well" types not some
"coloured sand" and optimistic instructions

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 01:26:42 -0800 (PST), robgraham wrote:

"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Thanks Jim - any one particularly recommended as there seems to be a
number on the market ? A quick fix for 1/4 mile runs to collect logs
is all that is required for the moment as the tyres aren't in their
first flush of youth and need replacing.

The squitry stuff will make the cleaning up of the rims later a much
harder job. I've heard that tyre places charge extra if they have to
deal with a tyre/rim that has had that stuff used on it...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:14 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 01:26:42 -0800 (PST), robgraham wrote:
"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Thanks Jim - any one particularly recommended as there seems to be a
number on the market ? A quick fix for 1/4 mile runs to collect logs
is all that is required for the moment as the tyres aren't in their
first flush of youth and need replacing.

The squitry stuff will make the cleaning up of the rims later a much
harder job. I've heard that tyre places charge extra if they have to
deal with a tyre/rim that has had that stuff used on it...

I expect they will also charge to remove and refit shagged old tyres
with new tubes onto shagged old rims....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2012 15:17, robgraham wrote:
I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob

Is it an *actual* Mini wheel? If so, you can probably get another one -
complete with tyre - from a vehicle dismantler for about a fiver.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:51*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:17 pm, robgraham wrote:

I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. *

"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Jim K

Thanks Jim - any one particularly recommended as there seems to be a
number on the market ? A quick fix for 1/4 mile runs to collect logs
is all that is required for the moment

Real cheap if you have some lying about and defiantly a bodge, but
before all these tyre sealants became easily available I used a thick
mixture of wall paper paste instead. Recommend some salt in the mix as
well otherwise it can freeze and you end up with a lump in the wheel
which would make it unbalanced. Really needs a foot pump to inject it
easily, dismantle and fill cylinder with goo and then reassemble.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 03:53, NT wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:51 pm, Jim wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:17 pm, wrote:

I bought a second hand small trailer some time ago - used it a couple
of times for lightweight work but yesterday put some heavy logs in it
only to discover that one tyre in particular would only just hold up
enough to get me home.

It seems to be leaking past the wheel seal so presumably that's
corroded. It's an old mini size wheel and I see I can get inner tubes
for those - are these legal for trailers as I understood that inners
were now banned? I'm clearly going to have to look for new wheels,
but I need the trailer now to carry more logs, and inners would solve
the problem in the short term.

Thanks
Rob

"short" term bodge? tyre seal in a can - £3-5

Jim K

surely inner tubes would solve it long term

NT

Inner tubes in tyres or on wheels not designed for them can quickly wear
through and then blow-out - as friends of mine found when they hit the
central reservation of the M62, at speed, travelling backwards!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a tatty old trailer and after a lot of use I decided to check it
over. The wheels were very heavy despite being normal small trailer wheels.
When I checked the valve no air came out. A friend of mine said that Post
Office and airports used these solid tyres so that might be of interest
providing use only do short runs
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 11:11 pm, "Roberts" wrote:
[...]

solid tyres with valves?? whatever will they think of next....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, its true. I was also told that the valve was used to pump the liquid in
and leave it to solidify. If you live any near Camberley come and see for
yourself. They are off the trailer at the moment after I changed them for a
long motorway trip.
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 11:17 am, "Roberts" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

so what's inside?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 23:11, Roberts wrote:
"Roger wrote in message
[...]

I understood that solid tyres had a very reduced speed rating due to
internal heating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I knew that from an interest in old commercial vehicles and that is
why I said only use for short runs.

As for what is inside I don't know. I have had the trailer for over 20 years
now. During that time it has been throughly misused and abused. The worst
being where a building was being demolished and I was told I could have as
many ancient paving slabs as I liked so I took the lot! The trailer coped
well but the brakes left a lot to be desired. I have had no trouble with the
tyres and don't propose to start taking the wheel/tyre apart now
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 07/02/2012 03:53, NT wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:51 pm, Jim wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

Tubeless tyres can have internal ribs which will rub on an inner tube
and wear it out PDQ
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 8:54 pm, "Roberts" wrote:

snip

to be desired. I have had no trouble with the
tyres and don't propose to start taking the wheel/tyre apart now

calm down, no one's asked you to. If you don't know, then you don't
know.

Jim K