Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Update: Dominion Elliot Supreme Woodworking Machine

Some of you may recall me asking for information regarding a Dominion Elliot
Supreme combination woodworking machine. Well the rebuild is pretty well
finished . Here are links to photos of my machine. All I have to do now is
sort out the motor wiring and re-fit the saw bench sawdust collector and
side panel.

As was:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...nion%20Before/

As is:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...inion%20After/

It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer
thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Mawson
writes

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20Before/Domi
nion%20After/

It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer
thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.

Nice job and not that long since you were asking IIRC.

. . . and you're right, it's monster :-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Andrew Mawson
writes
[...]

Nice work Andrew. Just don't let Paul Daniels use it.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 15:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Some of you may recall me asking for information regarding a Dominion
Elliot Supreme combination woodworking machine. Well the rebuild is
pretty well finished . Here are links to photos of my machine. All I
have to do now is sort out the motor wiring and re-fit the saw bench
sawdust collector and side panel.

As was:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...nion%20Before/

As is:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...inion%20After/

It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer
thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.

Impressive transformation... looks almost new!

What did you paint it with BTW?

and what did you treat the tables with?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 31/01/2012 15:55, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Some of you may recall me asking for information regarding a Dominion
Elliot Supreme combination woodworking machine. Well the rebuild is
pretty well finished . Here are links to photos of my machine. All I
have to do now is sort out the motor wiring and re-fit the saw bench
sawdust collector and side panel.

As was:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...nion%20Before/

As is:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...inion%20After/

It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer
thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.

Impressive transformation... looks almost new!

What did you paint it with BTW?

and what did you treat the tables with?

This particular machine was re-built at some time by Dominion probably in
the early 1970's and it had been sprayed in a mid green Hammerite, so rather
reluctantly I decided to use the same. However Hammerite have sold out to
ICI and changed the colour range and formulation. Latest stuff is white
spirit based and not very tough and a different colour! I managed to find an
industrial supplier of 'hammer finish' that not only matched the colour but
is xylene based like the original. I sprayed it fairly thinly to reduce the
hammer effect as far as possible. The castings had been heavily filled to
make good imperfections, but I didn't re-do this filling, leaving it 'as
cast war finish'. The tables were cleaned up with a wire brush and elbow
grease and as with all the metalwork covered in a rust inhibiting wax
polish. The steel parts were de-rusted by soaking in citric acid for a few
days, most were recoverable but some were re-made. The radial arm saw safety
cover casting was broken, but I tracked down (thanks Bob & Hans) a slightly
earlier model that was being scrapped and modified it to suit.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 5:06*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

o.uk...

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ion%20Before/D....

[...]

Would you be ok with this account and those pictures being put on the
wiki? It could surely encourage others to do similar, and explain how.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On Jan 31, 5:06 pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

o.uk...

[...]

Sure if you feel others would benefit. Although a large undertaking this was
a relatively trivial rebuild as being a woodworking machine was low tech and
relatively low precision. You should see the various lathes, milling
machines both manual and CNC that I've done over the years !! Currently
working on a CNC wire erroder. Next on the list is my Case 300 trencher as
having laid half a mile of water pipe on the farm with it it needs to go
back on ebay looking pretty! Then there's the Fanuc Arc Mate welding robot
somewhere down the list. I just hope I live long enough to complete my list
of hobby projects!!!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"John Rumm" *wrote in message

news:MeSdnSyEM5k0hLXSnZ2dnUVZ8kidnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...

[...]

Very, very impressive indeed. Well done that man.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

Snip very smart project!

Sure if you feel others would benefit. Although a large undertaking
this was a relatively trivial rebuild as being a woodworking machine
was low tech and relatively low precision. You should see the various
lathes, milling machines both manual and CNC that I've done over the
years !! Currently working on a CNC wire erroder. Next on the list is
my Case 300 trencher as having laid half a mile of water pipe on the
farm with it it needs to go back on ebay looking pretty! Then there's
the Fanuc Arc Mate welding robot somewhere down the list. I just hope I
live long enough to complete my list of hobby projects!!!!!!

How much to get the trencher across to Herts.?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"John Rumm" *wrote in message

[...]

Well, if you want to put pics and an account of those jobs too on the
wiki, I'm sure there are folk out there that just need such a nudge to
fixing old kit up themselves. Its an effective way to get well kitted
for diy, and similar sort of jobs for a living etc. And of course it
opens the way to acquire tools people could never afford to buy new.

Cheers,

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"John Rumm" *wrote in message

[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...achine_rebuild

I did some minor reordering to get it into chronological order. If
there's anything needs putting right just let me know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 23:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

Next on the list is
my Case 300 trencher as having laid half a mile of water pipe on the
farm with it it needs to go back on ebay looking pretty! Then there's
the Fanuc Arc Mate welding robot somewhere down the list. I just hope
I live long enough to complete my list of hobby projects!!!!!!

How much to get the trencher across to Herts.?

regards

Is this the sort of machine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M38c5iaYmw
That guy's digging what looks like 80% sand; how well does it withstand
tree roots, old bricks etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Part Timer" wrote in message ...

On 31/01/2012 23:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

Next on the list is
my Case 300 trencher as having laid half a mile of water pipe on the
farm with it it needs to go back on ebay looking pretty! Then there's
the Fanuc Arc Mate welding robot somewhere down the list. I just hope
I live long enough to complete my list of hobby projects!!!!!!

How much to get the trencher across to Herts.?

regards

Is this the sort of machine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M38c5iaYmw
That guy's digging what looks like 80% sand; how well does it withstand
tree roots, old bricks etc?

Yes that's the machine, except mine has a lifting and swivelling bull dozer
blade on the front, and being the UK version has a 2 cylinder Lister diesel.
It spits the odd brick out but I wouldn't use it across packed hardcore. It
has the scoop teeth rather than the grinding teeth. No idea about tree roots
as I never crossed any. It's rather like a giant slow chainsaw for earth!
The worm set up throws the spoil neatly to one side of the trench.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 3:55:29 PM UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Some of you may recall me asking for information regarding a Dominion Elliot
Supreme combination woodworking machine. Well the rebuild is pretty well
finished . Here are links to photos of my machine. All I have to do now is
sort out the motor wiring and re-fit the saw bench sawdust collector and
side panel.

As was:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...nion%20Before/

As is:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...inion%20After/

It is quite a beast, weighing in at 1.6 tons, with a 16" x 9" planer
thicknesser, a 24" circular saw, and a 20" radial arm saw.

AWEM

hi had this model restored it ,gave it to a friend 15 years ago h he now wants rid of it so thinking of getting it back ,need to concrete the shed floor first
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Certainly a very useful machine if you have the space. Mine isn't used every
day or even every week, but when I use it it is SO useful

Andrew Mawson (those pictures above are of my machine)