Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What happened to Mary Fisher ?

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him", turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What a coincidence. I was thinking the same just before christmas.
But I remember her for comments on mortar work, or was it Dry Stane
Dyking....
Anyway, I do miss your comments, and hope you are well.

--
OlavM
Overlooking the Clyde where it meets the Sea
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 11:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him", turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Don't know this time - but she has disappeared in the past, only to
re-appear later. Maybe she'll come back when she's good and ready.

I know that she has her detractors - who tend to make all kinds of
unkind comments when she is mentioned - but I'm one of her 'fans' and
certainly hope that she comes back.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 13:22, Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/01/2012 11:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher
is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Don't know this time - but she has disappeared in the past, only to
re-appear later. Maybe she'll come back when she's good and ready.

I know that she has her detractors - who tend to make all kinds of
unkind comments when she is mentioned - but I'm one of her 'fans' and
certainly hope that she comes back.

Google Groups "oldhenwife" - appears to hang around elsewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 14:14, Part Timer wrote:
On 31/01/2012 13:22, Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/01/2012 11:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher
is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Don't know this time - but she has disappeared in the past, only to
re-appear later. Maybe she'll come back when she's good and ready.

I know that she has her detractors - who tend to make all kinds of
unkind comments when she is mentioned - but I'm one of her 'fans' and
certainly hope that she comes back.

Google Groups "oldhenwife" - appears to hang around elsewhere.

Ah, I do seem to recall that 'spouse' was unable to make a proper
newsreader work after they had a new computer.

Having said that, you *can* access uk.d-i-y via Google Groups - however
undesirable most of us would consider that to be!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ?

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

wrote:

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ?

I think she did pop-in a few months back

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark wrote:

wrote:

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary
Fisher is
still with us ?

I think she did pop-in a few months back

She did... I also spoke to another regular here who had spoken to her on
the phone relatively recently.

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Website's still active: http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.car.maintenance

On 31/01/2012 15:33, Mark wrote:
wrote in message
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ?

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

-

And Mr Cheerful over in uk.rec.car.maintenance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:37:02 +0000, Andy Wade
wrote:

On 31/01/2012 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:

I think she did pop-in a few months back

Website's still active: http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

Charles (Joe) Stahelin died in 2007. In 1998 he drove all the way down
from Huddersfield to deliver the Triton Workcentre I bought from him
back in '98. A real old gent. Obituary
http://remembrance.examiner.co.uk/se...&Search=Search

--
Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/01/2012 11:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary
Fisher is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time. I
used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc. Simon.

Don't know this time - but she has disappeared in the past, only to
re-appear later. Maybe she'll come back when she's good and ready.

I know that she has her detractors - who tend to make all kinds of
unkind comments when she is mentioned - but I'm one of her 'fans' and
certainly hope that she comes back.

I gave her a call last year when I needed some advice abut chickens.

Her detractors were mentioned and she laughed and said "I have more skins
than an onion"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 31/01/2012 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:

I think she did pop-in a few months back

Website's still active: http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Ed Sirett cab be found on facebook, and has a website
www.makewrite.demon.co.uk

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

--
Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

Blimey, dunno if it's a sign I've been here too long, but I recognise all
the names.

Google suggests my first post was 2000, and a reply to Ed :-) Sounds
plausible although I've been on usenet for longer than that.

Darren - Feeling old

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:18:59 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

wrote:

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

Blimey, dunno if it's a sign I've been here too long, but I recognise
all the names.

Google suggests my first post was 2000, and a reply to Ed :-) Sounds
plausible although I've been on usenet for longer than that.

I think I was a bit after that on this group - it must be about 9 years
ago that I needed help getting the bearings out of the washing machine.
Big guy (did weightlifing or bodybuilding) who was (or had been) a
washing machine engineer...

Last time I looked, my first Usenet post was 1983.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him", turning
the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Lot of folk from uk.food.drink.misc (including Mary) are posting on the
cuisine forum:-
http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/cuisine...-11468020.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary
Fisher is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Lot of folk from uk.food.drink.misc (including Mary) are posting on
the cuisine forum:-

http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/cuisine...-11468020.html

Mary and a bottle of wine:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

Last time I looked, my first Usenet post was 1983.

Feb 1994 for me officially before that undergrads weren't allowed to post to
groups outside of the university.

A couple of years before that unofficially (we had ways ;-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2012 22:11, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In ,
Bob wrote:
Last time I looked, my first Usenet post was 1983.

Feb 1994 for me officially before that undergrads weren't allowed to post to
groups outside of the university.

A couple of years before that unofficially (we had ways ;-))

Darren

Blimey, didn't realise some of you have been using Usenet for so long!

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:11:37 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

Last time I looked, my first Usenet post was 1983.

Feb 1994 for me officially before that undergrads weren't allowed to
post to groups outside of the university.

But ukc.misc was the only group that anyone ever needed, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark writes

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is
still with us ?

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Ed ordered a pcb from me last week

Still alive and well and never stops talking

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Wade
writes
On 31/01/2012 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:

I think she did pop-in a few months back

Website's still active: http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Anna Kettle ... web site still apparently updated

Richard Gethin, John Schmitt, Matthew Marks, Max Bone, Tony Bond, ...

Matthew Marks - there's a blast from the past

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 03:51:23 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson
wrote:

In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him", turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Give her a call

http://www.candlemaker.org.uk/

There is also some further info on that page as to her current
situation.

Strangely I have heard reports in the past couple of years, not via
any 'online' presence, that she can be a crotchety old git. I never
connected the names until quite recently and have never met her, just
heard about her.

P.S. I heard that comment from someone who is a corrupt
untrustworthy and scheming **** so I'd have no confidence that it is
correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:37:31 +0000, Phil Addison
wrote:

Charles (Joe) Stahelin died in 2007. In 1998 he drove all the way down
from Huddersfield to deliver the Triton Workcentre I bought from him
back in '98. A real old gent. Obituary
http://remembrance.examiner.co.uk/se...&Search=Search

You have to pay to read it - greedy arseholes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 3:10*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Snob !! It's good enough for me and I've yet to get any other reader
work as well. OK I can't kill-file but I don't find that a problem.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Charles (Joe) Stahelin died in 2007. In 1998 he drove all the way down
from Huddersfield to deliver the Triton Workcentre I bought from him
back in '98. A real old gent. Obituary
http://remembrance.examiner.co.uk/se...&Search=Search

You have to pay to read it - greedy arseholes.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. But at least the basic facts are free to
read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Great that Mary is still with us, even if not with us on this site.
My memory was that Mary wasn't one for suffering fools lightly so that
might well be taken as 'crotchety old git' by someone who was foolish
in her presence ie "a corrupt untrustworthy and scheming ****" !! I
can;t see her tolerating the likes of Drivel for instance - but then
he just enjoys being a troll.

I had several chats with her at one time as we both keep bees, and
judging by her selling beeswax, I guess she still does.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2012 20:19, robgraham wrote:
On Jan 31, 3:10 pm, Roger wrote:

Ah, I do seem to recall that 'spouse' was unable to make a proper
newsreader work after they had a new computer.

Having said that, you *can* access uk.d-i-y via Google Groups - however
undesirable most of us would consider that to be!
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Snob !! It's good enough for me and I've yet to get any other reader
work as well. OK I can't kill-file but I don't find that a problem.

Rob

If you had used a proper newsreader it would have automatically removed
the signature from my previous post - rather than leaving it in situ.

Some people even manage to leave the sig in place *without* indenting
the message they're replying to and marking it with chevrons. This means
that everything below the "--" (including the reply) looks like a
signature to other readers, and appears in pale grey! Bah - almost as
bad as top posting.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Last time I looked, my first Usenet post was 1983.

Feb 1994 for me officially before that undergrads weren't allowed to
post to groups outside of the university.

But ukc.misc was the only group that anyone ever needed, anyway.

Heh. Finally died for good last year :-(

I turned off the server (but haven't yet removed it from the DC - ought
to put it on display or something really )

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Part Timer
writes
On 31/01/2012 13:22, Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/01/2012 11:51, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher
is still with us ? I know she was ill from time to time.
I used to enjoy reading her vignettes on brick oven backing, "him",
turning the thermostat up to 12 degrees celcius etc.
Simon.

Don't know this time - but she has disappeared in the past, only to
re-appear later. Maybe she'll come back when she's good and ready.

I know that she has her detractors - who tend to make all kinds of
unkind comments when she is mentioned - but I'm one of her 'fans' and
certainly hope that she comes back.

Google Groups "oldhenwife" - appears to hang around elsewhere.

Just don't say it three times out loud

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Mark writes

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
In the light of the post about Stefek, does anyone know if Mary Fisher
is still with us ?

and Ed Sirett last post to usenet that i can find 2009

Ed ordered a pcb from me last week

Still alive and well and never stops talking

Oh thanks geoff im really pleased to hear that.
Ed was IMHO one of the most knowledgeable re Gas/Heating questions, and the
least argumentative poster on this group.

-

Ping mary Fisher Dave UK diy 30 December 16th 08 04:45 PM
Ping: Mary Fisher [email protected] UK diy 1 September 7th 08 06:26 AM
ping Mary Fisher Dave UK diy 24 July 10th 08 08:10 PM
OT : PING :- Mary Fisher soup[_2_] UK diy 33 December 8th 07 08:14 PM
Mary, Mary, quite contrary ... raden UK diy 0 June 19th 06 12:32 AM