Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Led kits for pseudo alarm boxes.

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 9:13*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

LEDs require a constant current supply. If you look in screw fixthey
have electronic boxes for this purpose.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-1...e-driver/85503
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:13:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

JFGI - "alarm dummy light"

Plenty of options though might not take mains directly but a suitable
wall wart wouldn't be expensive. Or the battery powered modules run
from C cells, last for years.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 9:53*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 9:13*am, Tim Lamb wrote:

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

LEDs require a constant current supply. If you look in screw fixthey
have electronic boxes for this purpose.http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-1...oltage-driver/...

Usually only `big` LEDs are run from constant current supplies, `big`
meaning 1W+ LEDs.

`little` LEDs , your typical 5mm across LED are usually assumed to
want 20mA and its common to just use constant voltage and a resistor.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...e-36fc84b91fb8

and an old phone charger would do, no resitor required below 6V, phone
chatrgers tyically 4.5v - 5V D.C.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 9:53*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 9:13*am, Tim Lamb wrote:

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

LEDs require a constant current supply.

They're happy with a controlled current, i.e., don't just connect them
across the terminals of a battery. No need for constant current for
this kind of application.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David P
writes
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:13:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

Left over Christmas lights? Very cheap now...
grins and runs

Yes.

What are you doing in here?

I have 3 unused mobile phone chargers. Google has found me a kit with a
choice of led colours, Dave. I can steal a supply from the PIR
floodlight. So all I need now is the tuits!

I am not sure how important it is to exactly mimic the real thing. The
original displayed two, permanently on, filaments. The replacement has
two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars that clued up on 10 year
old kit?

regards and thanks to all.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , David
P writes
[...]

There are burglars and there are good burglars.

Most burglars ignore a house that they think is alarmed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

The replacement has two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars
that clued up on 10 year old kit?

I think mostly even the 10 year old boxes have flashing red/green
wigwags, the newer replacements are probably all blue LEDs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes

I have 3 unused mobile phone chargers. Google has found me a kit with a
choice of led colours, Dave. I can steal a supply from the PIR
floodlight. So all I need now is the tuits!

The only neg with using a phone charger is that the kits will probably
be spec'd for 12V dc (alarm supply) so a cheap 12V plugtop supply might
suit better. That said, if your existing feed is already outside then an
inline supply in a box might suit better.

When I have done this, the supply was indoors and I put a 13A unswitched
socket at high level on the other side of the wall from bellbox with a
plugtop supply plugged into that and LV wiring through the wall. 13A
socket was fed from an FCU with a 3A fuse. I've also done it with
plugtop supply in a standard low level socket on the mains with LV
wiring going up the wall before going out to the bellbox but I viewed
that as a messy install.

I am not sure how important it is to exactly mimic the real thing. The
original displayed two, permanently on, filaments. The replacement has
two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars that clued up on 10 year
old kit?

I would be inclined to mimic the style on the new box. Flashing red and
green appears popular at the mo so I would go with that. Most flashers
have poxy low current leds, I have increased the current by reducing the
(obvious) dropper resistors and have swapped leds to brighter ones I had
in stock. Last one I used was from CPC for about a fiver, not great
value (wrong led colours + poor brightness) but I had an order in
progress with them.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:18:31 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:13:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

Left over Christmas lights? Very cheap now... grins and runs

Yes.

What are you doing in here?

I lurk on here now. UKBA is/has got very tedious.

Here has a far greater volume but I can skim a lot of it rather than
having to read the meaty posts of yore in UKBA

I am not sure how important it is to exactly mimic the real thing. The
original displayed two, permanently on, filaments. The replacement has
two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars that clued up on 10 year
old kit?

Our more than 10 yr old box has got alternating red lights so I don't
think age has much to do with it - just depends on which box you happen
to have.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David P
writes
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:18:31 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:13:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

Left over Christmas lights? Very cheap now... grins and runs

Yes.

What are you doing in here?

I lurk on here now. UKBA is/has got very tedious.

Yes. Amazing how one persistent troll can eventually destroy a
newsgroup.

Here has a far greater volume but I can skim a lot of it rather than
having to read the meaty posts of yore in UKBA

Andrew is here and Mary pops up occasionally. I find it a hugely useful
resource. Mind, I must go back and discover how Steve is getting on with
his GSHP now the cold weather is arriving.

I am not sure how important it is to exactly mimic the real thing. The
original displayed two, permanently on, filaments. The replacement has
two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars that clued up on 10 year
old kit?

Our more than 10 yr old box has got alternating red lights so I don't
think age has much to do with it - just depends on which box you happen
to have.

I'm aiming for twin red, permanently on. Which is as it was.

Hope the family and your camper van are well.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2012 21:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , David P
writes
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:13:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has
arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate
a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a
supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run
strobes?

Left over Christmas lights? Very cheap now...
grins and runs

Yes.

What are you doing in here?

I have 3 unused mobile phone chargers. Google has found me a kit with a
choice of led colours, Dave. I can steal a supply from the PIR
floodlight. So all I need now is the tuits!

Can you get a wire from your alarm control box or a PIR sensor in the
house to your dummy box? IF you can, you can take a 12V supply from
there and know that it is permanently powered without any faffing around
with wall-warts or the like.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
[...]

Not easily. I don't have the engineers codes for the house alarm and the
*protection* is for a separate workshop.

I think the wall wart will do until I get round to installing a proper
alarm.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:10:53 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes

Here has a far greater volume but I can skim a lot of it rather than
having to read the meaty posts of yore in UKBA

Andrew is here and Mary pops up occasionally. I find it a hugely useful
resource. Mind, I must go back and discover how Steve is getting on with
his GSHP now the cold weather is arriving.

I saw you had posted. He has now had a very cold winter (last year) and
a more moderate one this so he should have some good data by now. We
keep toying with the idea of going GS but am still not convinced by its
efficiency in actual performance and we'd also have to sort out the under
floors as we are on suspended joists with a large void below.

Hope the family and your camper van are well.

Indeed we are - though the van is now getting elderly and could warrant a
retirement change in the next few years! Your family seem to be enjoying
life.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David P
writes
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:10:53 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes

Here has a far greater volume but I can skim a lot of it rather than
having to read the meaty posts of yore in UKBA

Andrew is here and Mary pops up occasionally. I find it a hugely useful
resource. Mind, I must go back and discover how Steve is getting on with
his GSHP now the cold weather is arriving.

I saw you had posted. He has now had a very cold winter (last year) and
a more moderate one this so he should have some good data by now. We
keep toying with the idea of going GS but am still not convinced by its
efficiency in actual performance and we'd also have to sort out the under
floors as we are on suspended joists with a large void below.

There are 3 ground floor rooms here that I would like to change to under
floor heating. We have gas so there is no FIT available.

Hope the family and your camper van are well.

Indeed we are - though the van is now getting elderly and could warrant a
retirement change in the next few years! Your family seem to be enjoying
life.

Hannah has a VW camper, not split screen but still pretty ancient. Ted
has moved to Sky and he and Kate have a daughter.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Pseudo-cad? Don Foreman Metalworking 0 December 7th 09 05:01 AM
External alarm boxes - self activating? Terry Pinnell UK diy 25 January 20th 09 07:13 PM
DIY alarm kits Tx2 UK diy 8 December 31st 06 12:00 AM
Pseudo green [email protected] UK diy 79 November 1st 06 05:30 PM
Pseudo green [email protected] UK diy 0 October 27th 06 12:22 AM