Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing toilet

A hairline crack has appeared in the toilet. It runs up from the floor,
across just in front of and under the bowl lip, and then down to the
floor again. The bowl is bedded onto what looks like a bed of tile grout
(though that may be grout applied over the bowl/floor join) over ceramic
tiles on 12mm WBP ply which is screwed down to T&G with a multitude of
screws.

What do I bed it onto when I replace it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2012 21:06, F wrote:
A hairline crack has appeared in the toilet. It runs up from the floor,
across just in front of and under the bowl lip, and then down to the
floor again. The bowl is bedded onto what looks like a bed of tile grout
(though that may be grout applied over the bowl/floor join) over ceramic
tiles on 12mm WBP ply which is screwed down to T&G with a multitude of
screws.

What do I bed it onto when I replace it?

Normally, nothing, with a couple of screws into the floor to stop it
moving. If it's on "continuous" tiles you would need to drill clearance
holes. I suppose you could put it down on a bead of clear silicone,
especially if they are a bit uneven.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Newshound
wrote

Normally, nothing, with a couple of screws into the floor

I would recommend stainless steel screws, for obvious reasons

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2012 22:52 Newshound wrote:

On 26/01/2012 21:06, F wrote:
A hairline crack has appeared in the toilet. It runs up from the floor,
across just in front of and under the bowl lip, and then down to the
floor again. The bowl is bedded onto what looks like a bed of tile grout
(though that may be grout applied over the bowl/floor join) over ceramic
tiles on 12mm WBP ply which is screwed down to T&G with a multitude of
screws.

What do I bed it onto when I replace it?

Normally, nothing, with a couple of screws into the floor to stop it
moving. If it's on "continuous" tiles you would need to drill clearance
holes. I suppose you could put it down on a bead of clear silicone,
especially if they are a bit uneven.

Silicone might be an idea as there is a tile joint running underneath at
right angles to the toilet's length and the floor has a slight slope
down from rear to front. If I do that to remove the slope, how do I stop
the silicone from squishing out before the toilet is 'set' in the
horizontal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2012 21:06, F wrote:
[...]

Do not attempt to use silicon to make the pan level. It will compress
when you sit on it and may crack the bowl again.
You would be better to use cement or similar if there is a levelling
problem..
Use wooden wedges to hold pan in position until cement goes off.
Remove wedges then & fill holes.

Obviously it must be set before you sit on it.

Silicon is OK to seal the joint between the floor and pan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:

On 26/01/2012 21:06, F wrote:
A hairline crack has appeared in the toilet. It runs up from the floor,
across just in front of and under the bowl lip, and then down to the
floor again. The bowl is bedded onto what looks like a bed of tile grout
(though that may be grout applied over the bowl/floor join) over ceramic
tiles on 12mm WBP ply which is screwed down to T&G with a multitude of
screws.

What do I bed it onto when I replace it?

Normally, nothing, with a couple of screws into the floor to stop it
moving. If it's on "continuous" tiles you would need to drill clearance
holes. I suppose you could put it down on a bead of clear silicone,
especially if they are a bit uneven.

Yes. I found this a most excellent trick.

I placed the loo in the right poistion, ran a pencil line around the floor
(could use masking tape) to mark the edge of the base.

Good bead of high quality strong silicone, leaving 4 gaps, into which I
inserted 3mm packers leaving enough to pull then out later.

Place bog onto packers and silicone bead and leave (without screwing, but
you could if you wanted) for 24h (if this is practical).

Remove packers, trim silicone with a slight undercut and apply white (or
whatever) silicone to form a nice finish, injecting harder where the packers
used to be.

It will feel a bit elastic for a few days but will firm up nicely after
then.
--
Tim Watts