Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [ot] this web site wants to install the flash plug in

Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

TIA

I wonder however if it is working as intended by the designer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

SOME versions of windows , browser and flas give that message when the
plugin is in fact correctly installed and up to date.

You may well have flash already.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

TIA

I wonder however if it is working as intended by the designer?

Do you think most web designers have intentions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 1:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Fred wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

SOME versions of windows , browser and flas give that message when the
plugin is in fact correctly installed and up to date.

You may well have flash already.

Check the cabinet next to the bath. Vim is no substitute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

I run the Flashblock Firefox plugin, so flash doesn't automatically start.
If you want to run the flash, you click on it.
You can configure it to automatically run on certain sites if you want
(there is the odd flash-only site where that's necessary).

99% of flash is a pointless waste of your CPU and bandwidth.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/01/12 10:57, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

Often the flash is for the advertising. So you are better of without it.
There are a few sites that are stupid enough to be entirely flash. Very
irritating and usually a sign that you will be better of going elsewhere.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
On 18/01/12 10:57, Fred wrote:
[...]

Like most car manufacturers..

There is also a trend to put copyright images in flash, in the vain
assumption that anyone who REALLY wants it wont simply do a screen
capture and edit, rather than right click and 'save image'

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ro Ro is offline

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:00:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Fred wrote:
[...]

Try he http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
It will let you know if flash is installed.
Step 2 lists your currently installed version and then, in step 3, it displays the latest
version available for your OS.
Flash is used for animation, video and to make the web site/page more interactive, unless
you have an iOS device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

djc wrote:

Often the flash is for the advertising. So you are better of without it.
There are a few sites that are stupid enough to be entirely flash. Very
irritating and usually a sign that you will be better of going elsewhere.

Like most car manufacturers..

True, though I don't visit those often. (1994 Twingo has just failed MOT
so that may not be true for the next few weeks) Restaurants and hotels
are the worst I encounter.
Example (nice places shame about the website)
http://www.sagrantino-winebar.de/
http://www.imperoromano.nl/

There is also a trend to put copyright images in flash, in the vain
assumption that anyone who REALLY wants it wont simply do a screen
capture and edit, rather than right click and 'save image'

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:57:26 -0000, Fred
wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

TIA

Well quite a few of us install Flashblock (under Firefox) - which makes
quite a difference.

I rarely use Flash - except where it really is needed.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

thanks for that..finally I can get a linux 64 bit plugin that doesn't
have 'beta' in its name.

And actually runs all my favourite sites
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
djc wrote:

Often the flash is for the advertising. So you are better of without it.
There are a few sites that are stupid enough to be entirely flash. Very
irritating and usually a sign that you will be better of going elsewhere.

Like most car manufacturers..

True, though I don't visit those often. (1994 Twingo has just failed MOT
so that may not be true for the next few weeks) Restaurants and hotels
are the worst I encounter.
Example (nice places shame about the website)
http://www.sagrantino-winebar.de/
http://www.imperoromano.nl/

well they are OK if all they have to offer as businesses is 'a user
experience' blah blah.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for an off topic post but with so many IT people here, please
may I ask:

Following an upgrade, I'm in the slow process of installing all my
software on a new machine. Pretty much every web site I visit
announces that it wants to install the flash plug in and when I click
"no", the web site loads perfectly without it.

If it works without flash, why did it bother asking for it in the
first place? Or are there two versions of the web site and it loads
the flash or no-flash one depending what you click? If that is the
case and they can work without flash, why bother making one with
flash? Or am I missing something?

TIA

Well quite a few of us install Flashblock (under Firefox) - which makes
quite a difference.

that does block the CPU grabbing adverts, true.

I rarely use Flash - except where it really is needed.

Well why would you use it at all if it wasn't needed?

You tube, watching motor racing, iplayer..all useful ****e.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2012 13:51, djc wrote:
On 18/01/12 10:57, Fred wrote:
[...]

Yes. I am a contractor and work for months at a time in clients' offices
and I find lunchtime very handy to get my own paperwork in order. My
(soon to be ex) accountants have a website to allow hours worked,
invoicing, letters, tax details etc. to be dealt with. It used to work
fine, then they altered the site The default version requires flash
(which I could not install or have installed on my client's machines and
the fall-back, non-flash version required later versions of Internet
Explorer, which could not be installed as they were not approved for use
on the "government approved", secure network.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 18/01/2012 13:51, djc wrote:
On 18/01/12 10:57, Fred wrote:
[...]

So you are stealing your clients electricity eh?
--
hugh

my help site for some floor coverings you want to install [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 30th 07 06:58 PM
Plug-In Profit Site brian Home Repair 0 January 23rd 07 10:30 PM
Plug-In Profit Site brian Electronics 0 January 23rd 07 10:02 PM
The colour combination & flash of this site is gd. Ani Home Ownership 0 July 18th 06 06:57 PM