Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finger/box jointer

After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2012 20:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I

You would need a set of different combs for the jig as well to do finger
jointing. Some come with, some have them as extras.

have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Even the basic ones will handle a drawer up to about 12" deep. You then
just position the timber in the jig to get your half pins in the right
place top and bottom.

The posher jigs like the leigh ones are fully adjustable as well, so you
can position the dovetails wherever you like.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 8:13*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Google "biscuit joints". Eg.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-er...ter-230v/65190
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 09/01/2012 20:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I

You would need a set of different combs for the jig as well to do
finger jointing. Some come with, some have them as extras.

have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Even the basic ones will handle a drawer up to about 12" deep. You then
just position the timber in the jig to get your half pins in the right
place top and bottom.

Yebbut. I assume you can't change the size of the cutter and hence the
actual joint. Something suitable for 12" depth is going to look a bit
over the top on 4"

The posher jigs like the leigh ones are fully adjustable as well, so
you can position the dovetails wherever you like.

Ah! Thanks for that.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jan 9, 8:13*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Google "biscuit joints". Eg.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-er...ter-230v/65190

Different job. Box or finger joint is similar to dovetail but with
straight tails.

Mind you, I don't possess a biscuit jointer and regret not buying one
when they were cheaper!

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2012 20:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards

Google "Woodrat" - but not a cheap solution.

There's a comb jointer design on http://woodgears.ca/ that looks tempting
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NoSpam
writes
On 09/01/2012 20:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards

Google "Woodrat" - but not a cheap solution.

Hmm... expensive way to make up boxes for stacking TV accessories. (PVR,
DVD player etc.)

There's a comb jointer design on http://woodgears.ca/ that looks tempting

Back to fiddling with the bench saw.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 8:13*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...al-prod828711/

though I think it over priced. If you have a router table making up
the table saw type jig to suit should do the job

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2012 09:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

On the basic jigs this is true - sort of, although they usually select a
cutter size that suits the smaller stuff better.

Compare a basic one like mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RgfWnnsdk

with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3r5q-8wIS0

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2012 10:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , NoSpam
writes
On 09/01/2012 20:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards

Google "Woodrat" - but not a cheap solution.

Hmm... expensive way to make up boxes for stacking TV accessories. (PVR,
DVD player etc.)

Would a mitre lock cutter be an option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJszKqyfBA

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Nice way to make up boxing for steel columns.

Not much good for the TV boxes as I leave the sides fairly open to help
ventilation.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, fred
writes
On Jan 9, 8:13*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
After using my Black and Decker finger jointer attachment, I fell to
wondering if there is a modern equivalent.

Google turned up loads of descriptions on how to make a Jointer for use
with a bench saw. This looks OK apart from the need for a dado blade set
for the saw.

An alternative suggested was a straight cutter and a dovetail jig. I
have been considering such a purchase but been put off by the lack of
adjustment (drawer depth has to suit the dovetail jig spacing).

Has anyone come across such a device?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...uter-jointer--
package-deal-prod828711/

though I think it over priced. If you have a router table making up
the table saw type jig to suit should do the job

Yes. Pricey as you say.

Woodworking guides from Google show these kits being made up in timber.

There is a problem in that errors accumulate. Anything over 4" with the
B+D starts to get out of step.

I think the router is the way to go but I will look more closely at the
*comb* guide version.

Clearly no-one remembers the B+D attachment so I must post a photo for
historical interest:-)

regards
--
Tim Lamb