DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A physics / electrical / philosophical question..... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/333996-physics-electrical-philosophical-question.html)

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 12:33 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Times are tough.
Just the other day, I saw a beggar who was so broke that he was standing on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.
He was shouting, "WILL WORK FOR CARDBOARD AND A MAGIC MARKER!"

Graham.[_2_] January 6th 12 12:59 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:33:55 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Assuming your isolating transformers are perfect and have no
capacitive reactance between windings then there will be zero
interaction between the two circuits.
PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

therustyone January 6th 12 01:22 PM

On Jan 6, 12:33*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. *There are four wires hanging in the pool. *L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. *L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer.. *Both are identical transformers. *If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. *But what if you turned both on? *Do they care whose electrons they get back? *Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? *If not why not?

--http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

Times are tough.
Just the other day, I saw a beggar who was so broke that he was standing on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.
He was shouting, "WILL WORK FOR CARDBOARD AND A MAGIC MARKER!"

If the wires N1 and L2 were connected and L1 and N2 ditto, there would
obviously a dead short on the sum of voltages which are in-phase and
additive. So the first premise is correct.

Rusty

Clive George January 6th 12 01:30 PM

wrote:

http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

Assuming your isolating transformers are perfect and have no
capacitive reactance between windings then there will be zero
interaction between the two circuits.

If we replace the swimming pool with a set of resistors (6 should be
adequate to model the various possible current paths), and the
transformers with a pair of batteries, does that change your answer?

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 01:52 PM

wrote:

[...]

Now I've got two conflicting answers.....

Continue to discuss.....

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 01:54 PM

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:22:56 -0000, therustyone wrote:

[...]

This answer makes the most sense to me. So the current would go between the two wires at each short end of the pool.

So how come those TENS machines which have seperate outputs claim that this will not happen?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate.
They just walk around, eating, and not mating.
You sold me queer giraffes! I want my money back!

No Name January 6th 12 02:55 PM

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:30:15 -0000, Clive George wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

Tim

Clive George January 6th 12 03:04 PM

On 06/01/2012 14:55, lid wrote:
"Lieutenant wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:30:15 -0000, Clive wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more than
a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 03:10 PM

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:04:48 -0000, Clive George wrote:

On 06/01/2012 14:55, lid wrote:
"Lieutenant wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:30:15 -0000, Clive wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more than
a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 03:10 PM

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:55:52 -0000, wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:30:15 -0000, Clive George wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

Agreed - but I didn't think I'd typed enough to warrant two paragraphs.

John Walliker January 6th 12 03:35 PM

On Jan 6, 1:54*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

So how come those TENS machines which have seperate outputs claim that this will not happen?

Possibly because they use pulsed stimulation from high source
impedance drivers and the pulses are not simultaneously present on the
multiple outputs.

John

Clive George January 6th 12 04:00 PM

wrote:

http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

If you completed your diagram by including the secondary windings on
each transformer outside the pool i.e. between L1 and N1, and L2 and
N2 respectively, and bearing in mind that in any circuit, electrons go
round in a loop, in this case from L1 across the pool to N1 and then
back through the winding to L1 again, ditto L2 and N2, then you can
see that the two circuits are separate and electrons won't travel from
L1 to N2.

You missed out the loop involving both secondary windings and the short
paths through the pool. L1-N2-L2-N1-L1.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:06 PM

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:35:44 -0000, John Walliker wrote:

On Jan 6, 1:54 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

So how come those TENS machines which have seperate outputs claim that this will not happen?

Possibly because they use pulsed stimulation from high source
impedance drivers and the pulses are not simultaneously present on the
multiple outputs.

John

Ah..... that makes sense. Thanks.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The reason people sweat is so that they won't catch fire when having sex.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:07 PM

wrote:

[...]

In another words, you'd get a tingle no matter where you were in the pool!

No I'm not planning on zapping a load of people, honest!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

You have got to remember that women make babies - not a great bit of design work. Messy, noisy and cannot do anything useful.

Graham.[_2_] January 6th 12 04:08 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:30:15 -0000, Clive George wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

Agreed - but I didn't think I'd typed enough to warrant two paragraphs.

When viewed in Thunderbird your posts do indeed wrap to my window,
however large I make it, even stretched across my two monitor extended
desktop.

When viewed on my usual newsreader, Forte Agent, your entire post
appears as a single line and I have to scroll across to read it.

I am sure I don't have this issue with other Opera users, is there a
setting for the maximum length of a line? Failing that you could try
hitting the return key once in a while.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Clive George January 6th 12 04:12 PM

On 06/01/2012 16:08, Graham. wrote:

I am sure I don't have this issue with other Opera users

You probably don't. The OP is a nob, he has known about the problem for
years, many people have pointed out the error of his ways, he's refused
to do anything about it.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:20 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:17:29 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Clive George wrote:

On 06/01/2012 16:08, Graham. wrote:

I am sure I don't have this issue with other Opera users

You probably don't. The OP is a nob, he has known about the problem for
years, many people have pointed out the error of his ways, he's refused
to do anything about it.

Why doesn't Our Graham get a better newsreader?

Indeed - Forte is very clunky.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why do they call it a TV set when you only get one?

Frank Erskine January 6th 12 04:21 PM

wrote:

[...]

Think Kirchhoff... :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:21 PM

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
[...]

It's set to automatic wrapping (at your end), which Forte seems incapable of. Allegedly there is some minor glitch in the Opera formatting commands that "upsets" Agent and stops it wrapping, although how anything can stop it from doing something as simple as wrapping I have no idea. Send complaints to Opera programmers, not me.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

One of the first things you learn on your honeymoon is,
when you're carrying your bride over the threshold, always go in sideways,
unless of course two broken ankles and a concussion turn you on.

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:23 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:13:26 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new paragraphs.
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

Agreed - but I didn't think I'd typed enough to warrant two paragraphs.

When viewed in Thunderbird your posts do indeed wrap to my window,
however large I make it, even stretched across my two monitor extended
desktop.

When viewed on my usual newsreader, Forte Agent, your entire post
appears as a single line and I have to scroll across to read it.

I use MT-NewsWatcher and have no trouble at all; it wraps to the window.

AFAIK, OE works, Thunderbird works, Opera works, MT-Newswatcher works. Agent and Xnews don't, but they're both horrid programs anyway.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Joey's teacher sent a note home to his Mother saying, "Joey seems to be a very bright boy, but spends too much of his time thinking about sex and girls."
The Mother wrote back the next day, "If you find a solution, please advise. I have the same problem with his Father."

Lieutenant Scott January 6th 12 04:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

Can you be more specific? When I think Kirchhoff I come to the conclusion that Clive is correct. I assume from where you replied you're saying he isn't?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"You might show me a little more respect" complained the coed as she and her date were driving back from "Lover's Lookout".
"Yeah?" asked the smirking boy, "Like by doing what?"
"Well, for starters, not flying my panty hose from your radio aerial."

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 6th 12 05:06 PM

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires
hanging in the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating
transformer. L2 and N2 are live and neutral from another isolating
transformer. Both are identical transformers. If you turn ONE of them
on, then the current obviously flows diagonally across the pool. But
what if you turned both on? Do they care whose electrons they get
back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of the pool to
lower the resistance? If not why not?

first of all electrons are only theoretical concepts, so don't worry
about which electron goes whe you can't put labels on them. So it's a
non question.

Secondly as the supplies are isolated, they can be regarded as entirely
independent in terms of current flow. Their *absolute* voltages will;
arrive at a common average about 'earth' because the pool will conduct
the tiny currents needed to do so quite adequately.

Finally Kitchoffs laws apply
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff%27s_circuit_laws) and what they
mean is that you can consider each 'circuit' entirely independently and
get the right answer: the only difference is bits of the pool will get
hotter when both are switched on because they are seeing 'current' from
both sources.

If the above was not true we wouldn't need non ohmic devices like
transistors and valves to make amplifiers.

i.e. the presence of current in a resistive network due to any given
voltage source does not affect the current due to any other voltage
source applied anywhere else.

AS for the philosophy of which electron goes where, its only that
voltage differences cause charge drift..the actual electron doesn't in
that model belong to either source or destination, it just gets moved
along an atom or two and pushes another one out to carry on

Like a huge football stadium full of people, so as more people get
pushed in one side they have to pop out the other somehow. BUT the only
place they CAN pop out is exactly limited by the number coming in from
the diagonally opposite corner, where they get shuffled around the
battery or whatever and pushed back in.

Ultimately the thing to remember is that circuits, resistance, batteries
and everything are ALL IN YOUR MIND. Useful ways of LOOKING at things
that make people jump, move meters on dials and cause computers to work.

I cannot stress this enough: 'scientific facts' like electricity,
gravity, atoms, electrons etc etc do NOT EXIST in the 'real world'. They
are convenient ideas to understand how phenomena happen. We regard them
as factual for the purposes of doing science and engineering, true, but
that doesn't mean they have existence *as we conceive them to*.

This gets more important as you move towards the bleeding edges of
science, like quantum physics or cosmology.

There are an infinite number of theories that can fit the facts,
including that its all the Flying Spaghetti Monsters Divine Will, and
that is why philosophers and scientists judge theories not by whether
they are true, because that is not something that can ultimately be
determined but by whether they a

(a) useful and
(b) As simple as they can be made to be (Occam's Razor).
(c) Able in theory to be falsified (Cf Karl Popper et al).
(d) Not demonstrably UN-true (Cf Karl Popper et al).

Flying spaghetti monster explanations are not scientifically USEFUL.
They belong to a class of metaphysical propositions that are not able to
be proved untrue, and fail point (a) and point (c). Most god theories
fall into this class.

BUT you should note that there are probably an infinite set of theories
that satisfy (a) (c) and (d) all of which can be demonstrated to fit the
facts well and be able (in principle) to be proven wrong. But haven't
(yet) been proven wrong. Each one will posit noumenous entities like
'gravity' 'electrons' and in a sense they will all be mathematical
transforms of one another - they will have, for the same set of facts, a
mathematical equivalence.

BUT the entities so proposed are not 'real': Not as real as the 'facts'
of sparks. Meters moving and things getting hot, or falling to the
ground etc. etc. They are convenient 'things' to use when calculating
whether these things will occur, and by how much.

tony sayer January 6th 12 05:37 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

In article op.v7nw6tohytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
scribeth thus
http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in
the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and
N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical
transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows
diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose
electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of
the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

They will flow from L1 to N1 and L2 and N2 but each supply will "see the
others supply transformer in circuit and interact with that and any
currents flowing in same.

Course it depends on the resistance and impurities in the water etc.

And assumes such as identical voltages and phase......
--
Tony Sayer

ARWadsworth January 6th 12 05:38 PM

wrote:
wrote:

PS You really need to use the occasional line break.

That's one of the less annoying habits of the OP...

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new
paragraphs. A big block of text is intimidating and relatively
difficult to read. If you're asking for advice, it's courteous to
make your question easy to read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more
than a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

It does when you cannot understand basic facts.

--
Adam

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 6th 12 06:06 PM

tony sayer wrote:
In article op.v7nw6tohytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
scribeth thus
http://petersphotos.com/temp/pool.jpg

That is my crude drawing of a swimming pool. There are four wires hanging in
the pool. L1 and N1 are live and neutral from an isolating transformer. L2 and
N2 are live and neutral from another isolating transformer. Both are identical
transformers. If you turn ONE of them on, then the current obviously flows
diagonally across the pool. But what if you turned both on? Do they care whose
electrons they get back? Can't electricity flow across the two short ends of
the pool to lower the resistance? If not why not?

They will flow from L1 to N1 and L2 and N2

Correct.

but each supply will "see the
others supply transformer in circuit and interact with that and any
currents flowing in same.

Incorrect.See Kirchhoff.

Chris J Dixon January 6th 12 06:09 PM

Graham. wrote:

When viewed on my usual newsreader, Forte Agent, your entire post
appears as a single line and I have to scroll across to read it.

Does the version you are using toggle line wrap when you hit "O"?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 6th 12 11:40 PM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

There are an infinite number of theories that can fit the facts,
including that its all the Flying Spaghetti Monsters Divine Will, and
that is why philosophers and scientists judge theories not by whether
they are true, because that is not something that can ultimately be
determined but by whether they a

(a) useful and
(b) As simple as they can be made to be (Occam's Razor).
(c) Able in theory to be falsified (Cf Karl Popper et al).
(d) Not demonstrably UN-true (Cf Karl Popper et al).

Don't forget their being verifiable and also making testable predictions
or are you including that in (a) ??

No theory is verifiable.

The point is that they are falsifiable propositions..

Andy Wade January 7th 12 12:06 AM

A physics / electrical / philosophical question.....

Incorrect.See Kirchhoff.

Are you thinking of the principle of superposition, rather than
Kirchhoff's laws? All Kirchhoff tells us here is that In1 = Il1 and In2
= Il2, since the sources are floating.

Be careful applying superposition because it will only hold if the
internal impedance of each source is unchanged between the ON and OFF
states. For the problem as posed it's quite likely that each source
will have a fairly low impedance (approx. zero, even) when on and a very
high impedance (tending to infinity) when switched off.

My first thought when I saw this was "can you still get Teledeltos
paper" (Google suggests that you can.) The usual way to solve a problem
like this is to plot the electric field pattern - traditionally with a
Teledeltos paper model, but more probably by finite element analysis
these days - then draw in the current flux lines to intersect the
E-field lines at right angles.

http:///www-users.aston.ac.uk/~pearc...DF/TELDELT.PDF gives
some insight.

--
Andy

djc January 7th 12 12:31 AM

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There are an infinite number of theories that can fit the facts,
including that its all the Flying Spaghetti Monsters Divine Will,

and that is why philosophers and scientists judge theories not by
whether they are true, because that is not something that can
ultimately be determined but by whether they a

(a) useful and
(b) As simple as they can be made to be (Occam's Razor).
(c) Able in theory to be falsified (Cf Karl Popper et al).
(d) Not demonstrably UN-true (Cf Karl Popper et al).
Don't forget their being verifiable and also making testable

predictions or are you including that in (a) ??
No theory is verifiable. The point is that they are falsifiable

propositions.

Well OK. I suppose what I mean is that normally, someone will set out to
verify a hypothesis by experiment. And hey have to be prepared to find
that their experiment, in fact, falsifies their hypothesis (which has
happened many times).

But any hypothesis that *doesn't* make testable predictions is useless
which *is* your (a), I guess.

more (c) in inverse form. Popper says verification is not possible. But
if a theory makes predictions, then experiment may demonstrate the
predictions to be wrong, and therefore it is falsifiable. So the ability
to make testable predictions is a necessary precondition of (c) and (d).
And of course predictions are useful if they are reliable ie inductively
'true'.

--
djc

Lieutenant Scott January 7th 12 02:41 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yer quoting wrong sir.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Lieutenant Scott January 7th 12 02:48 AM

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:06:49 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
[...]

What's to stop people coming out of L1 going into N2? And people coming out of L2 going into N1?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Gardening Rule:
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
If it comes out of theground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Lieutenant Scott January 7th 12 02:49 AM

wrote:
wrote:

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new
paragraphs. A big block of text is intimidating and relatively
difficult to read. If you're asking for advice, it's courteous to
make your question easy to read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more
than a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

It does when you cannot understand basic facts.

I don't argue over facts. I argue over opinions. Name a fact I disagreed with.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What's a birth control pill?
The OTHER thing a woman can put in her mouth to keep from becoming pregnant.

Lieutenant Scott January 7th 12 02:50 AM

wrote:

wrote:

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new
paragraphs. A
big block of text is intimidating and relatively difficult to read. If
you're asking for advice, it's courteous to make your question easy to
read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more than
a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

Yes it does.

Oh do shut up. Who invited you in here? Your opinions annoy just as many people as mine.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is "Lunch."

ARWadsworth January 7th 12 06:15 AM

wrote:
wrote:

On mine it wraps to window :-P But let's not start that AGAIN!

I think Clive was really referring to your lack of use of new
paragraphs. A big block of text is intimidating and relatively
difficult to read. If you're asking for advice, it's courteous to
make your question easy to read.

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more
than a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

It does when you cannot understand basic facts.

I don't argue over facts. I argue over opinions. Name a fact I
disagreed with.

The fact that you are a nob.
--
Adam

Lieutenant Scott January 7th 12 10:37 AM

wrote:
On 06/01/2012 14:55, lid wrote:

I thing Graham was. I was referring to the fact that the OP is more
than a bit of a nob. Hang around, you'll observe this.

I disagree with a lot of opinions, that doesn't make me a nob.

It does when you cannot understand basic facts.

I don't argue over facts. I argue over opinions. Name a fact I
disagreed with.

The fact that you are a nob.

That can never be a fact, there is no scientifically proven method of nob detection.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Mr Churchill is reputed to have once said
"It will be long, it will be hard, and there'll be no withdrawal"

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 7th 12 12:54 PM

Tim Streater wrote:
[...]

yes.

Poppers 'conjectures and refutations' is the seminal work. It is not a
hard read and fairly free of philosophical jargon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conject...nd_Refutations

If the theory doesn't make testable predictions its not scientific, If
its predictions can't be falsified by experiments that give the 'wrong'
answer', its not scientific.

Its the basic difference between deductive and inductive logic.

I disagree with Popper on a very significant point, which may sound like
splitting hairs: He says that if a theory works well to predict results
probably close to 'the Truth'. I say that is an unwarranted conclusions:
All one can say is that it works well. This is a more common position
post Quantum theory where the world it seems to describe seems nothing
like the world as we currently understand it.

Deductive logic is clear and provable.

ID 2+2=4 THEN 4+4=8 etc etc.

Inductive logic starts with a proposition LETS PRETEND there is a
'force' which we call gravity and its relationship to mass and distance
is such that...

THEN my cannonball will land about HERE.

You cant 'prove' that without measuring in the real world, not just in
terms of a mental construction like maths or geometry.

And as you know, Einstein comes along and says 'there isn't such a force
as gravity - its just that space is 'bent' by mass'.

I wish all this basic philosophy of science was taught BEFORE people got
taught science. Then they would understand what they were learning was
not 'scientific fact' but a rather different thing: a set of maps of the
world drawn in mathematical terms which really work fantastically well,
but are, in the end, only maps. Not the world in itself.

Cf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Korzybski

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 7th 12 12:55 PM

Tim Streater wrote:
[...]

Phew. At least one person understands..and said it even better.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 7th 12 12:58 PM

Andy Wade wrote:

Incorrect.See Kirchhoff.

Are you thinking of the principle of superposition, rather than
Kirchhoff's laws? All Kirchhoff tells us here is that In1 = Il1 and In2
= Il2, since the sources are floating.

I thought the principle of superposition was derivable directly from
Kirchhoff?

One forgets all this stuff and just remembers the results. Independent
sources lead to independent currents and the total current is the sum of
the sources' currents at any given point in the network.

Be careful applying superposition because it will only hold if the
internal impedance of each source is unchanged between the ON and OFF
states. For the problem as posed it's quite likely that each source
will have a fairly low impedance (approx. zero, even) when on and a very
high impedance (tending to infinity) when switched off.

If they are AC sources they are not 'switched off'...so to speak.
But yes, the source impedances are part of the network.