Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine outflow

Hi
We have a stand pip to drain the washing machine and it is fed into the
wast pipe of the sink Just under the u-bend. It is a pukka kit type with
its own u-bend etc.. This stand pipe is also fed with a stand pipe for
the dishwasher. so it has been for 20 years or so.

Recently every now and again the washing machine water over flows the
stand pipe. any suggestions as to how to prevent this. could i put a
'lid' on the pipe to stop it overflowing. I have checked for blockages.

Thanks

Gary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:01:39 +0000, Gary wrote:

Recently every now and again the washing machine water over flows the
stand pipe. any suggestions as to how to prevent this. could i put a
'lid' on the pipe to stop it overflowing. I have checked for blockages.

Well if it's worked for a long time and has only just started playing
up I suggest you double check for blockage or restriction all the way
from it to the drain or stack connection.

Or have you changed te wshing machine and it's now pumping the waste
out faster than the old one did?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 3:01*pm, Gary wrote:
Hi
We have a stand pip to drain the washing machine and it is fed into the
wast pipe of the sink Just under the u-bend. It is a pukka kit type with
its own u-bend etc.. This stand pipe *is also fed with a stand pipe for
the dishwasher. so it has been for 20 years or so.

Recently every now and again the washing machine water over flows the
stand pipe. *any suggestions as to how to prevent this. *could i put a
'lid' on the pipe to stop it overflowing. I have checked for blockages.

If it's the same appliance that used to work then you need to fix
cause, a partial blockage in the pipework, rather than trying to bodge
over the symptoms.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Man at B&Q" writes:
On Jan 4, 3:01*pm, Gary wrote:
Hi
We have a stand pip to drain the washing machine and it is fed into the
wast pipe of the sink Just under the u-bend. It is a pukka kit type with
its own u-bend etc.. This stand pipe *is also fed with a stand pipe for
the dishwasher. so it has been for 20 years or so.

Recently every now and again the washing machine water over flows the
stand pipe. *any suggestions as to how to prevent this. *could i put a
'lid' on the pipe to stop it overflowing. I have checked for blockages.

If it's the same appliance that used to work then you need to fix
cause, a partial blockage in the pipework, rather than trying to bodge
over the symptoms.

May simply be solidified detergent residue in the pipework.
I would start by taking off the U-trap and checking that.
This seems to happen sometimes when switching to one of the
eco detergents, and/or cold washes, although dishwasher detergent
is usually good at keeping pipes clean (unless perhaps that's an
eco one too?).

Also check there's no backing-up into the outside hopper
and/or manhole which the sink discharges into.

--
Andrew Gabriel

oil/grease on washing from the washing machine Dave UK diy 7 January 10th 11 05:15 PM
washing machine JIMMIE Home Repair 3 April 14th 09 02:13 AM
Plumbing outflow of washing machine into external drains Ben R UK diy 10 August 31st 07 10:18 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM
Washing Machine Tom J Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:43 PM