Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas socket double adaptor?

Is there such a thing?

Bayonet gas socket for a cooker, which we now need to plug two items
into - is there such a thing as a double adapter outlet please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there such a thing?

Bayonet gas socket for a cooker, which we now need to plug two items
into - is there such a thing as a double adapter outlet please?

I strongly hope there isn't. But SWK may beg to differ.

I suspect you'll need a registered fitter to install a second adapter and
advice if your extra appliance is both legal and the supply can cope
adequately

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RCW2 expressed precisely :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there such a thing?

Bayonet gas socket for a cooker, which we now need to plug two items into -
is there such a thing as a double adapter outlet please?

I strongly hope there isn't. But SWK may beg to differ.

I suspect you'll need a registered fitter to install a second adapter and
advice if your extra appliance is both legal and the supply can cope
adequately

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking.
Supply is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a
free standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in
double, with a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:27:28 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking. Supply
is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a free
standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in double, with
a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

Do the manufacturer's instructions for the hob even allow it to be on a
flexible hose?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

People don't need to be born again - they need to grow up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH formulated on Sunday :
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:27:28 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking. Supply
is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a free
standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in double, with
a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

Do the manufacturer's instructions for the hob even allow it to be on a
flexible hose?

It has been in a long time and came with a flexi.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2012 23:35, YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:27:28 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking. Supply
is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a free
standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in double, with
a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

Will need a second socket properly installed by the sounds of it...

Do the manufacturer's instructions for the hob even allow it to be on a
flexible hose?

Given the recent inversion in the wording[1] in BS6172-2010 that is
possibly a less relevant question than in the past...

[1] i.e. paraphrasing: effectively changing "fixed pipework unless
explicitly instructed/permitted to use flexi by the makers instructions"
to "fixed or flexi unless explicitly forbidden by the makers instructions"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it
obviously.
I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they
actually mean themselves.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
On 01/01/2012 23:35, YAPH wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:27:28 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking. Supply
is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a free
standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in double, with
a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

Will need a second socket properly installed by the sounds of it...

Do the manufacturer's instructions for the hob even allow it to be on a
flexible hose?

Given the recent inversion in the wording[1] in BS6172-2010 that is
possibly a less relevant question than in the past...

[1] i.e. paraphrasing: effectively changing "fixed pipework unless
explicitly instructed/permitted to use flexi by the makers instructions"
to "fixed or flexi unless explicitly forbidden by the makers instructions"

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it
obviously.
I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they
actually mean themselves.

certainly that was true of our local authority in the 70s. They came out
with a regulation about RCDs which didn't make any sense at all. I
actually wrote and told them so. It was withdrawn a couple of weeks later.
Eventually, a regulation that made sense appeared. They'd obviously had
to find an Electrical expert to write it for them; I know that had no
Electrical Engineers on their staff.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2012 09:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it
obviously.
I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they
actually mean themselves.

Well to be fair, my paraphrasing may not have helped ;-)

The wording in the standard now says:

"11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means
of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's
instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug-in device
conforming to BS 669-1."

Which seems clear enough.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking John Rumm wrote :
On 02/01/2012 09:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it
obviously.
I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they
actually mean themselves.

Well to be fair, my paraphrasing may not have helped ;-)

The wording in the standard now says:

"11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of
rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's
instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug-in device conforming
to BS 669-1."

Which seems clear enough.

Which I would read as either rigid pipework or a flexi plug in pipe
could be used - is that correct?

Makes no difference anyway, all in and working on two flexi pipes.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2012 18:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking John Rumm wrote :
On 02/01/2012 09:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it
obviously.
I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they
actually mean themselves.

Well to be fair, my paraphrasing may not have helped ;-)

The wording in the standard now says:

"11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means
of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's
instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug-in device
conforming to BS 669-1."

Which seems clear enough.

Which I would read as either rigid pipework or a flexi plug in pipe
could be used - is that correct?

Yup, either rigid copper, or a cooker style hose and bayonet style plug
in connector.

--
Cheers,

John.