Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermal stores and all that

On Dec 30, 11:58*am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Next years paper round-2-it design project for me is going to be
installing a thermal store/heatbank with a solar collector on the roof
and mains pressure hot water for the house.

I would very much like to be able to swap notes and generally get
experience from anyone who has gone down this path already.
Of particular interest are the makers/suppliers of components for DIY
installs and the choice of control systems.
Most of my web searches seem to lead to Gledhill products as a market
leader but they don't seem to offer systems with plate heat exchangers
which I read are preferred in hard water areas like mine.

Anyone been this way before?

TIA

Bob

I have both of the above. What do you want to know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:58 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Next years paper round-2-it design project for me is going to be
installing a thermal store/heatbank with a solar collector on the roof
and mains pressure hot water for the house.

I would very much like to be able to swap notes and generally get
experience from anyone who has gone down this path already.
Of particular interest are the makers/suppliers of components for DIY
installs and the choice of control systems.
Most of my web searches seem to lead to Gledhill products as a market
leader but they don't seem to offer systems with plate heat exchangers
which I read are preferred in hard water areas like mine.

Anyone been this way before?

TIA

Bob

I have both of the above. What do you want to know?

Hi Harry,

Which gledhill system do you have?
Does it have a PHE?
Which control system do you have for a)the solar collector and b) the
thermal store
Did you do a DIY install

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 30, 6:04*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:58 am, Bob Minchin
*wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

I assume we are talking space heating.

Trying to store heat for more than a few days is a total waste of time
IME.
In fine weather you can gather heat and transfer it to your heat
store.
However, by the time you need the heat it has all leaked away.
The shoulder period when you can't gather any heat and you don't need
any heat either is too long.
The shoulder period in our climate is around a month at both ends of
the heating season.

I have a system myself. Failed for above reasons, I have shut it
down.
So I advise against "active solar heating."

However passive solar heat gathering is fine. But you need a building
with massive masonary construction with insulation outside the
exterior walls.

I know you have a PV panel. As we are paid for electricity generated,
solar thermal is a waste of time. Just turn the immersion heater on.
The PV panel still works when a solar thermal panel won't. (ie low
light conditions)
I have a solar thermal panel from pre PV days. I still use it in
Summer but just to be public sprited and export electricity rather
than using it myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 30, 6:04*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:58 am, Bob Minchin
*wrote:
[...]

I made and installed the solar thermal panel myself. It works well in
sunny conditions, I can get the water up to 80degC. The biggest
problem was the glazing which is not entirely satisfactory.

The glass tube things would be a lot better but were not widely
available when I made my panel.

Gledhill thermal stores - still in business? YAPH UK diy 2 November 21st 09 05:28 PM
Thermal stores - makes? Doctor Drivel[_2_] UK diy 28 December 27th 08 03:18 AM
Thermal stores - makes? Tim S UK diy 0 December 18th 08 05:07 PM
Thermal stores - makes? Tim S UK diy 2 December 18th 08 01:39 AM
Do thermal stores really work? [email protected] UK diy 30 December 6th 08 02:24 PM