Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Pulling cable

I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

Neil

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 10:57, Neil Bush wrote:
I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

I don't know preferred, and depends on what space you are pulling
through, but I get away with using 2-inch shiney brown polypropylene box
packing tape, wrapping first the thinner diameter cable/cord and then
overwrapping the other placed side by side. I used to use knots but
found them more likely to get stuck in a void somewhere.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message ...

On 28/12/2011 10:57, Neil Bush wrote:
I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

I don't know preferred, and depends on what space you are pulling through,
but I get away with using 2-inch shiney brown polypropylene box packing
tape, wrapping first the thinner diameter cable/cord and then overwrapping
the other placed side by side. I used to use knots but found them more
likely to get stuck in a void somewhere.

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there yet,
but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable using that
route.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Neil Bush" wrote in message ...

I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

Neil

I use 6mm diam polypropylene rope, and thread the wire in and out of the
rope strands a few times, making off the lead and tail with gaffer tape.
This way the more you pull, the tighter the wire is gripped.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:57:50 -0000, Neil Bush wrote:

I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

I just lay the two side by side and tape over. Forming some sort of
ramp over the bit that sticks out on the forward direction.

The big boys (telephone/power etc) pull cables through ducts with a
large "finger trap" threaded several feet onto the end of the cable.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Chinese-Finger-Trap

Think you'd need something fairly "dead" rather than "springy" to
make one. A length of coax braided screen would work but probably not
very many times as copper isn't very strong.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Neil Bush wrote:
I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

Neil

I usually use another piece of coax. The thing is to make sure that the
joint is a smaller diameter than the cables, and that it has no edges or
protuberances that might snag.

So: Carefully strip back about three inches of outer sheath. Preserve
the braid by either unravelling it or pushing it back over the sheath.
Cut the dielectric off without nicking the inner. Pull the braid back
over the inner. Do this for both cables, the puller and the pulled. Tie
a reef knot in the two lengths of braid/inner, but make sure the knot is
fairly close to the remaining plastic on both cables, otherwise the
joint is too flexible near the knot and can snag on a corner. Wrap the
joint with pvc tape, overlapping the plastic just once, pulling the tape
tight, adding rigidity but being careful not to exceed the cable
diameter. Make sure the tape bridges any protuberances.

Make sure someone feeds the cable as you pull, because otherwise it's
more likely to snag.

If it snags pull it back a yard then twist the pulling end one turn and
try again.

That's how I do it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, me too, though I also cut the leading end of the cable being
pulled through at a slant to enhance the ramp effect when it's all
taped up. I use standard electrical tape.

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:21:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I just lay the two side by side and tape over. Forming some sort of
ramp over the bit that sticks out on the forward direction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/12/2011 12:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:57:50 -0000, Neil Bush wrote:

I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

I just lay the two side by side and tape over. Forming some sort of
ramp over the bit that sticks out on the forward direction.

The big boys (telephone/power etc) pull cables through ducts with a
large "finger trap" threaded several feet onto the end of the cable.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Chinese-Finger-Trap

Think you'd need something fairly "dead" rather than "springy" to
make one. A length of coax braided screen would work but probably not
very many times as copper isn't very strong.

You can get commercial versions of those to go on the end of cable rods
and fish tapes:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXSK1115.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 12:45, Bill Wright wrote:
Neil Bush wrote:
[...]

Nice description... do you mind if I pilfer that and slap it on the end
of the cable pulling section in our wiki. Seems like it would fit nicely
he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lling_Ca bles

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Neil Bush wrote:

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there
yet, but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable using
that route.

If it's a really tight fit, it's sometimes easier to pull out the
existing cable and pull in two new ones, rather than dragging the new
cable past the old one. Mind you, this is mainly relevant to ducted
cables. It's a trick I learned when I worked in BT.

--
SteveT

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Neil Bush" wrote in message
I need to add a length of coax to an existing feed.
I have done this a few times before, but I just wondered... is there a
'best/preferred' way of connecting a pull-cord to the cable?

For coax I strip about 60 mm back to the centre conductor and make a loop to
tie the string to.
Then a wrap of tape to smooth it out.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 19:00, Steve Thackery wrote:
Neil Bush wrote:

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there
yet, but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable
using that route.

If it's a really tight fit, it's sometimes easier to pull out the
existing cable and pull in two new ones, rather than dragging the new
cable past the old one. Mind you, this is mainly relevant to ducted
cables. It's a trick I learned when I worked in BT.

Another trick is to use water based lubricant.

If you want the pukka stuff and are prepared to pay for it, IIRC, its
hellerine.

If you're too tight to buy the pukka stuff, then theres KY jelly.....

Regards,

Stephen.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/11 12:45, Bill Wright wrote:

I usually use another piece of coax.

Hang on. I'm having a thick moment. Once you've got your pulling cable
into place, surely you could skip the rest of the procedure!

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Neil Bush wrote:

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there
yet, but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable
using that route.

If it's a really tight fit, it's sometimes easier to pull out the
existing cable and pull in two new ones, rather than dragging the new
cable past the old one. Mind you, this is mainly relevant to ducted
cables. It's a trick I learned when I worked in BT.

Another trick is to use water based lubricant.

If you want the pukka stuff and are prepared to pay for it, IIRC, its
hellerine.

If you're too tight to buy the pukka stuff, then theres KY jelly.....

Regards,

Stephen.

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.
--
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Colin Stamp" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/12/11 12:45, Bill Wright wrote:

I usually use another piece of coax.

Hang on. I'm having a thick moment. Once you've got your pulling cable
into place, surely you could skip the rest of the procedure!

I had much the same thought - this run is a bit tight to feed my coax
through.
No worries, feed some coax through for a puller.......

I assume the method is for pulling a long cable through one or more shorter
runs?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I assume the method is for pulling a long cable through one or more
shorter runs?

Or replacing cable - as for example when using the ancient,
water-filled, thin, brown stuff to pull through the wonderful new
foam-filled CT100 (though the new stuff being that bit bigger did give
rise to a few potential brown pants moments).
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Nice description... do you mind if I pilfer that and slap it on the end
of the cable pulling section in our wiki. Seems like it would fit nicely
he

I would be honoured.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/11 22:42, Robin wrote:
I assume the method is for pulling a long cable through one or more
shorter runs?

Or replacing cable - as for example when using the ancient,
water-filled, thin, brown stuff to pull through the wonderful new
foam-filled CT100 (though the new stuff being that bit bigger did give
rise to a few potential brown pants moments).

Yep. I admit, the thought of someone struggling to work a length of
co-ax into an awkward duct, only to use it to pull in another bit of
co-ax brought out the facetious git in me )

I guess Bill does that kind of thing a lot and to be fair, it does apply
to the OPs situation.

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp wrote:
On 28/12/11 12:45, Bill Wright wrote:

I usually use another piece of coax.

Hang on. I'm having a thick moment. Once you've got your pulling cable
into place, surely you could skip the rest of the procedure!

Cheers,

Colin.

My description assumes for simplicity that we are either replacing an
old coax, or have had an opportunity to put a (coax) draw wire in during
construction.

There's also that situation where it's possible to shove a cable
through, but from the wrong direction. To avoid joints you would want to
pull the new one through to replace the temporary one that enters from
the wrong end.

The method I described can be used to pull two coaxes through using one
as a draw wire, as long as the duct is plenty big enough. In extremis
it's sometimes necessary to use a working cable as a draw wire for two
others, one of which replaces the draw wire.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

If you're too tight to buy the pukka stuff, then theres KY jelly.....

Regards,

Stephen.

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.

Or the wife when she sees it in your van.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Neil Bush wrote:

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there
yet, but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable
using that route.

If it's a really tight fit, it's sometimes easier to pull out the
existing cable and pull in two new ones, rather than dragging the new
cable past the old one. Mind you, this is mainly relevant to ducted
cables. It's a trick I learned when I worked in BT.

Another trick is to use water based lubricant.

If you want the pukka stuff and are prepared to pay for it, IIRC, its
hellerine.

If you're too tight to buy the pukka stuff, then theres KY jelly.....

Regards,

Stephen.

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.

Why ask 'em? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Neil Bush wrote:

Ah, thanks for that, I see what you mean. I haven't ventured up there
yet, but I do expect it to be a snug fit, as there is already cable
using that route.

If it's a really tight fit, it's sometimes easier to pull out the
existing cable and pull in two new ones, rather than dragging the new
cable past the old one. Mind you, this is mainly relevant to ducted
cables. It's a trick I learned when I worked in BT.

Another trick is to use water based lubricant.

If you want the pukka stuff and are prepared to pay for it, IIRC, its
hellerine.

If you're too tight to buy the pukka stuff, then theres KY jelly.....

Regards,

Stephen.

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.

Just tell her it's for wire pulling ;-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I usually use another piece of coax.

Hang on. I'm having a thick moment. Once you've got your pulling cable
into place, surely you could skip the rest of the procedure!

Yes, I got my brain in an infinite loop just thinking about that.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/11 00:15, Bill Wright wrote:
Colin Stamp wrote:
[...]

And there was me thinking I'd found a method of saving you loads of time ;o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.

So "easing my coax through some tight ducting" is not code, then?

The best thing is to say, "It's in case I meet any physical resistance."

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 21:27, Graham. wrote:
But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it

Q: How much do you need?
A: Well, it's about 10 metres.

Andy
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 18:00, Andy Champ wrote:
On 28/12/2011 21:27, Graham. wrote:
But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it

Q: How much do you need?
A: Well, it's about 10 metres.

"10m?, **** me!"

"ok make that 2L then!"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 08:37, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:27:37 +0000, Graham. wrote:

But don't expect the counter assistant in Boots to believe why you
need it.

Just tell her it's for wire pulling ;-)

Some old brass?

--
Not Me

Who's been pulling this stump apart Srgnt Billko Home Repair 15 April 17th 07 08:16 PM
pushing or pulling a RAS? Toller Woodworking 21 January 3rd 06 05:37 PM
Pulling a toilet? John Smith Home Repair 9 August 22nd 05 03:02 PM
pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
Pulling cable through with existing one / Clipping cable in loft Mike Hall UK diy 17 January 12th 04 12:52 PM