Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plug-in time switches

Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say 11pm.
Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months at a
time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting dark
rather than a fixed time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 6:44*pm, "Hugh - Was Invisible"
wrote:
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the *problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say 11pm..
Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months at a
time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting dark
rather than a fixed time.

Normal practice is to turn off all services when leaving a property
unattended.
A minor defect can cause a lot of damage if not attended to.
In Winter frost damage sepecially needs watching for. Especially the
boiler.
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Dusk-Till-.../products/Dusk
Ideally is to just have the absolute minimum of electric circuitry
energised for security purposes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, harry
wrote:
[...]

certainly not in winter unless you've drained all the water out of
everything.

A minor defect can cause a lot of damage if not attended to.
In Winter frost damage sepecially needs watching for. Especially the
boiler.

Which is why you DON'T turn it off.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Please practice what you preach.

You left the synapses to your brain switched on when we all know that you
are empty upstairs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say
11pm. Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months
at a time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it
getting dark rather than a fixed time.

If it is security you want then why not just leave the lights on 24/7 and
pretend that teenagers are living in you house?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the
icicle lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem
might have been. It is an electronically controlled one that when
unplugged seems to be programmable and display correctly. As soon as
it is plugged in all the lcd symbols show and it does not respond to
any of the buttons.
We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control
a few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say
11pm. Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months
at a time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it
getting dark rather than a fixed time.

And on my helpful side then go to Tescos:-)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-0730.aspx

Not the exact model I have, but similar. It works.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

We will be back from time to time and need heating etc. It is not
practicable to drain every run of water pipe.
Heating will be left with the thermostat left on low and the loft hatch
slightly open with mesh over it.

We are wooden floored and not sure about what to do about pipes under the
ground floor. I will inspect the loft pipe lagging carefully before we go.

Never had any icing on the condensate pipe from the boiler so hopefully
that is well enough designed.

We have a split fuse board all rcd protected (TT system) and do not live
in an area prone to flooding.

Grown up children live in the area and will keep an eye etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:56:24 -0000, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link. It is possible going forward that we may leave early
January and not return until July.

We would want the light to work intermittently from dusk (which could vary
from 4pm to 9.30 pm) to around 11pm. Does that sort of model cope with
that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Mine did, until the blonde plugged the hair dryer into it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2011 18:44, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged seems
to be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in
all the lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say
11pm. Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months at
a time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting
dark rather than a fixed time.

I have one that does that, however, it does still function properly even
though it shows 8888, unplugging it shows it has not reset.

I think this one also has an issue if it is powered off for ages, in
that you haver to plug it in for a good few hours to get it to recharge
it's self again properly.

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.v6njs7bygtk8fg@admin-pc,
"Hugh - Was Invisible" writes:

We will be back from time to time and need heating etc. It is not
practicable to drain every run of water pipe.
Heating will be left with the thermostat left on low and the loft hatch
slightly open with mesh over it.

In a previous job, I was spending long periods away.
It was this that initially made me put the heating under
home automation control 12 years ago, so I could monitor and
control it all remotely, see if it stopped working, change set
temperatures if necessary, and turn it back on in advance of me
coming home.

I set the house temperature to 11C. Additionally, a frost stat in
the loft was set to about 2C (by experiment - the dial labels are
nowhere near accurate enough), and if that kicked in, it brought
the house up to 19C, although it normally only got to about 16C
before the froststat clicked off again.

Also check minimum ambient temperature your fridge/freezer
supports. I specifically bought a Hotpoint one with no minimum
(it has separate compressors for the two compartments, but I
don't think any such product is available anymore).

We are wooden floored and not sure about what to do about pipes under the
ground floor.

If they're just central heating pipes (and hopefully insulated),
then the heating will be cylcing on periodically. When it gets
down to zero outside, mine comes on for about 10 minutes every
80 minutes. I figured that was enough to prevent freezing of
underfloor pipes.

I will inspect the loft pipe lagging carefully before we go.

It can come off, pull away from elbows, etc.

My insurance company imposed the restriction that they wouldn't
pay for damage due to frozen plumbing unless either the supply
was turned off and all pipework drained, or a minimum of 16C was
maintained. I decided I would turn off the supply, but I wasn't
going to pay to heat the house to 16C, and if there was any
resulting plumbing damage, it was limited to the amount of water
stored in the house, and I'd repair it anyway, so I bore that
risk.

Never had any icing on the condensate pipe from the boiler so hopefully
that is well enough designed.

Condensate which runs out of mine is luke warm, and does about
1 metre of 32mm plastic outside, then half a metre of soil stack
before going underground. The coldest that outside area has got
since I've kept records (last 8 years) is -5C on 20 December 2010
(it's quite well sheltered). The boiler runs at 45C flow temp,
which also means it is generating lots of condensate, which may
help.

Actually, if mine did freeze, it would back-up into the bathroom
wash basin which shares the 32mm pipe, and then spill out into
the bathroom floor. Fortunately, that's never happened.

My boiler has an external lockout signal, and that feeds back
into the home automation system, which will ring me if that
happens.

We have a split fuse board all rcd protected (TT system) and do not live
in an area prone to flooding.

Grown up children live in the area and will keep an eye etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:50:32 -0000, Toby wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately mine is not functioning and has been plugged in for years
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We are wooden floored and not sure about what to do about pipes under
the
ground floor.

If they're just central heating pipes (and hopefully insulated),
then the heating will be cylcing on periodically. When it gets
down to zero outside, mine comes on for about 10 minutes every
80 minutes. I figured that was enough to prevent freezing of
underfloor pipes.

Rising main comes in to cupboard under the stairs and runs under house to
kitchen and there will be no flow to keep it warm. The pipes I have seen
under the floor are not insulated and it is not practicable to get under
the floor to insulate them or put in heating tape. The CH is supplied from
loft tanks so I can turn the main supply off.

I will inspect the loft pipe lagging carefully before we go.

It can come off, pull away from elbows, etc.

Only pipe I have ever had freeze was an elbow right by the eaves in a
particularly cold winter.

My insurance company imposed the restriction that they wouldn't
pay for damage due to frozen plumbing unless either the supply
was turned off and all pipework drained, or a minimum of 16C was
maintained. I decided I would turn off the supply, but I wasn't
going to pay to heat the house to 16C, and if there was any
resulting plumbing damage, it was limited to the amount of water
stored in the house, and I'd repair it anyway, so I bore that
risk.

I reckon about 12C should do it but will check the spec on the freezer. We
will probably empty fridge and freezer because we will be away for months
at a time. If it gets ridiculously cold I will ask one of the children to
run the cold water and turn the heating up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In a previous job, I was spending long periods away.
It was this that initially made me put the heating under
home automation control 12 years ago, so I could monitor and
control it all remotely, see if it stopped working, change set
temperatures if necessary, and turn it back on in advance of me
coming home.

How did you set this up, as a matter of interest?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.v6nc07zygtk8fg@admin-pc...
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say 11pm.
Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months at a
time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting dark
rather than a fixed time.

I have an old emersion heater timeswitch that I mounted on a board with a
socket and trailing lead. It mostly gets used for outdoor Christmas lights
but has also been used for security lighting. It handles CFL bulbs with no
issues.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 09:03:21 -0000, MuddyMike
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mike

We've been using the old programmable timeswitch for years with a very low
wattage cfl bulb. I'm at a loss to understand why it suddenly failed when
I added the icicle lights. They are only neons.

Just found it is still advertised. 13A resistive load but only 2A
inductive.

I guess I could use a similar type of timer in series with a light sensing
one if necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 23:28:15 -0000, "Hugh - Was Invisible"
wrote:

Rising main comes in to cupboard under the stairs and runs under house to
kitchen and there will be no flow to keep it warm. The pipes I have seen
under the floor are not insulated and it is not practicable to get under
the floor to insulate them or put in heating tape. The CH is supplied from
loft tanks so I can turn the main supply off.

If you have some heating in the house it isn't usual for cold water
pipes to freeze under the house unless the bit coming out of the
ground freezes first. Putting trace heating (eg
http://www.traceheatinguk.co.uk/prod...01&cat=741&nm=)
around the main where it comes in and removing the under sink door in
the kitchen will usually work

(The sink door needs to be removed as if it stays in place the
cupboard temperature, if on an outside wall, can fall below freezing
even though the rest of the house is heated to anti-frost
temperatures. The door is removed because if you just leave it open
sooner or later someone will close it!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.v6nc07zygtk8fg@admin-pc...
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged
seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in
all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

Are you sure you mean neon icicle lights? All the ones I have seen have
been LED based. Neons as orange flames sometimes in candelabras.

I can't see why either should distress a timeswitch.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say
11pm.
Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months
at a
time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting dark
rather than a fixed time.

I have an old emersion heater timeswitch that I mounted on a board with a
socket and trailing lead. It mostly gets used for outdoor Christmas
lights
but has also been used for security lighting. It handles CFL bulbs
with no
issues.

Are you sure about that? Many CFLs do not like being on older basic
solid state electronic timer controllers and have an undecipherable
"icon" on the side of the box to indicate this. It stresses both the
lamp and the controller and can lead to premature failure of both.

We've been using the old programmable timeswitch for years with a very
low wattage cfl bulb. I'm at a loss to understand why it suddenly failed
when I added the icicle lights. They are only neons.

Just found it is still advertised. 13A resistive load but only 2A
inductive.

You can get pretty cheap synchronous motor type units that use
mechanical on-off settings

I guess I could use a similar type of timer in series with a light
sensing one if necessary.

Sylvania do some that have a self light sensor built in. But be careful
in a domestic environment the lamp coming on can provide enough light to
switch them off again and they will flash like light houses.

You can get some that do pseudo random daily between first going dark
and some fixed time. Here is one such from Maplin (ugly as hell mind)
and not a recommendation:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/7-day-digita...t-switch-37966

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Most sure, its not a solid state electronic timer controller. When I said
old its very old and electo mechanical.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it was just a coincidence that the timer failed at that point,
and the icicle lights are a red herring...

....or a Neon Tetra?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2011 18:44 Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

Ideally to switch on and off at random from when it gets dark to say
11pm. Need to be capable of working with CFL bulbs.

Anyone got any recommendations. We may be away for more than 3 months at
a time hence the on time really needs to be controlled by it getting
dark rather than a fixed time.

I installed this: http://www.johnlewis.com/232968/Prod...x?source=63258

It replaces the light switch in our hall and switches a 20W low energy
lamp. The original switch was a two gang, two way switch that controlled
both the hall and landing lights, so I had to install a new single gang
two way switch to switch the landing light.

The arrangement works well and copes with the changes in daylight hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.v6nc07zygtk8fg@admin-pc...
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the
icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged
seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in
all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

Are you sure you mean neon icicle lights? All the ones I have seen have
been LED based. Neons as orange flames sometimes in candelabras.

Brain fade. Yes they are LEDs

[...]

Thanks for that Martin. If you can mix and match the different
capabilities that is just what I want. Just got to find one at a
non-Maplin price!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:05:57 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

[...]

Many thanks. Looks like the same one as Maplin are selling and suitable
for what I need
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Peter. Really helpful advice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

(The sink door needs to be removed as if it stays in place the
cupboard temperature, if on an outside wall, can fall below freezing
even though the rest of the house is heated to anti-frost
temperatures. The door is removed because if you just leave it open
sooner or later someone will close it!)

Hints and Tips:

To prevent frost in the sink cupboard, bash a big hole in the cupboard
door with a hammer. Then even if someone shuts the door the interior of
the cupboard won't freeze.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2011 16:32 Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Many thanks. Looks like the same one as Maplin are selling and suitable
for what I need

When I bought mine John Lewis were the cheapest supplier (including
carriage).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:

Hints and Tips:

To prevent frost in the sink cupboard, bash a big hole in the cupboard
door with a hammer. Then even if someone shuts the door the interior of
the cupboard won't freeze.

A friend used to service/repair cash tills on site (in shops).
He was rather alarmed on visiting a take-away, to find the owner
got fed up opening and closing the microwave door each time a
pie was going in or coming out, so he'd cut a large hole in it
so he could put the pie in and out without opening the door...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2011 13:05, F wrote:
[...]

With these, if the light is times to come on at, say 18:00, the you
flick the switch soon thereafter, will that then turn the light off, or
does it stay ion until the timer tells it to turn off (and if so, if the
switch has been switched, will it then stay on?

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 18:39 Toby wrote:

On 18/12/2011 13:05, F wrote:

I installed this:
http://www.johnlewis.com/232968/Prod...x?source=63258

It replaces the light switch in our hall and switches a 20W low energy
lamp. The original switch was a two gang, two way switch that controlled
both the hall and landing lights, so I had to install a new single gang
two way switch to switch the landing light.

The arrangement works well and copes with the changes in daylight hours.

With these, if the light is times to come on at, say 18:00, the you
flick the switch soon thereafter, will that then turn the light off, or
does it stay ion until the timer tells it to turn off (and if so, if the
switch has been switched, will it then stay on?

If it's been turned on automajically you can switch it off just like any
other light. Once you've done that, you can switch it on again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 22:18, F wrote:
On 19/12/2011 18:39 Toby wrote:

On 18/12/2011 13:05, F wrote:

I installed this:
http://www.johnlewis.com/232968/Prod...x?source=63258

It replaces the light switch in our hall and switches a 20W low energy
lamp. The original switch was a two gang, two way switch that controlled
both the hall and landing lights, so I had to install a new single gang
two way switch to switch the landing light.

The arrangement works well and copes with the changes in daylight hours.

With these, if the light is times to come on at, say 18:00, the you
flick the switch soon thereafter, will that then turn the light off, or
does it stay ion until the timer tells it to turn off (and if so, if the
switch has been switched, will it then stay on?

If it's been turned on automajically you can switch it off just like any
other light. Once you've done that, you can switch it on again.

I see, so if you turned it off after it had turned it's self on, would
still turn back on again at it's next scheduled on time?

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Our one and only plug in timeswitch has failed after I added the icicle
lights to it. They are neon and not sure what the *problem might have
been. It is an electronically controlled one that when unplugged seems to
be programmable and display correctly. As soon as it is plugged in all the
lcd symbols show and it does not respond to any of the buttons.

We will soon be leaving the house unattended for long periods and was
going to get some light sensing random time timed switches to control a
few lights while we are away.

I left a house unattended for a long period (many months) . I turned
off gas and water but left electricity on with a few heaters set to
low. With an unattended house you do need to have someone who keeps
an eye on it and makes sure, for example, that post does not collect
where it can be seen.

I used five of these time switches to set up a life-like pattern on
lights. They allow for some randomisation also. They don't get
confused by power cuts as far as I know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120504981539

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 22:51 Toby wrote:

On 19/12/2011 22:18, F wrote:
On 19/12/2011 18:39 Toby wrote:

On 18/12/2011 13:05, F wrote:

[...]

If I've understood the question, you would have had to have pressed the
light switch to 'on' again. If the light switch is 'off', the lamp stays
off. If the light switch is 'on' the light comes on when it gets dark
(after a time you have pre-set) and goes off at your pre-set 'off' time.

There's a switch under the cover to set it to act like a normal switch:
'manual', or to timer only and so ignore the onset of darkness. It's
recommended to set the on time to 14:00 to allow for 'normal' times of
darkness in the UK.

http://www.timeguard.com/pdfs/0000/0069/zv700.pdf will give you all the
answers you need.

digital plug in timer switches - do they all have power cut proof memory? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 16 May 30th 11 09:51 PM
time switches Fred UK diy 8 December 7th 07 04:47 PM
time delay switches and extractor fans! Nigel UK diy 10 March 1st 07 05:40 PM
Energy Saving Bulbs & Time Switches. Mr Lawes UK diy 5 December 18th 04 10:27 AM
Screwfix time switches Steven Briggs UK diy 5 November 10th 04 06:35 PM