DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is tanalised timber green? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/333-tanalised-timber-green.html)

Eric Cartman July 14th 03 07:15 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

Hi Gang

I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to make a
garden bench.

Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated timber
(sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that tanalised or
just weather treated?

I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the green stuff!

Cheers

EC

The Natural Philosopher July 14th 03 07:49 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

Eric Cartman wrote:

Hi Gang

I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to make a
garden bench.

Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated timber
(sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that tanalised or
just weather treated?

I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the green stuff!

Some is, some is more brownish I think.

In time it all goes grey anyway.

Cheers

EC

Eric Cartman July 15th 03 07:37 AM

Is tanalised timber green?

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Some is, some is more brownish I think.

In time it all goes grey anyway.

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Andy Hall July 15th 03 09:09 AM

Is tanalised timber green?

On 14 Jul 2003 23:37:55 -0700, (Eric
Cartman) wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Some is, some is more brownish I think.

In time it all goes grey anyway.

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

It might be worth looking a bit further. I found that most of the DIY
stores had timber that was simply dipped in green preservative (not
pressure treated) - but they didn't claim it either - I forget what
the weasel words were. Timber yards had pressure treated, but again
in green.

Eventually I found a choice of green and brown pressure treated timber
at a fencing company with their own saw mill who are also
manufacturing fencing rather than just stocking. They have their own
pressure treating plant and were doing both colours - the brown being
a little more than the green.

You can stain on top of green as long as the brown is a fairly dark
one. Paler colours will tend to look rather muddy.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Laird July 15th 03 01:23 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

On 15 Jul 2003 08:50:04 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Sawn tanalised can be over painted with the usual fence type
colour/preservative. But PAR isn't suitable for this sort of paint. FWIW,
I've never seen green PAR.

PAR? In my world, PAR stands for Polished All Round and refers to glass...

Planed All Round. "Finished", in other words.

--
John

Eric Cartman July 15th 03 05:22 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Sawn tanalised can be over painted with the usual fence type
colour/preservative. But PAR isn't suitable for this sort of paint. FWIW,
I've never seen green PAR.

I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
:( so will have to try some dark stains on it!

At least if I make the bench and it falls to bits after the first
season it was me that did it and not BandQ :) can't blame anyone then.

Cheers

EC

Dave Plowman July 15th 03 07:53 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
:( so will have to try some dark stains on it!

I'd have thought if it has to be ordered, you could have asked for clear
pressure treated stuff. I *think* tanalised is green purely for easy
identification, and checking how far the treatment has penetrated.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Dave Plowman July 15th 03 11:39 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
There'll be a mad woman in any minute now to rant on and on about it.
FWIW when cutting any preserved timber or indeed any timber, wear a dust
mask.

Absolutely. And I've modified mine for my fag.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Simon Avery July 15th 03 11:51 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

(Eric Cartman) wrote:

Hello Eric

EC| I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to
EC| make a garden bench.
EC| Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated
EC| timber (sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that
EC| tanalised or just weather treated?

Could be both, the green is just dye to indicate it's been treated.

EC| I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the
EC| green stuff!

Then you prolly don't want tanalised, the chemicals can mess up
varnish and stain to an alarming degree. Staining and varnishing
tanalised wood is two belts and braces, better to stick to normal PAR
(cold grown softwood if you can't get hardwood)

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ:

geoff July 16th 03 12:10 AM

Is tanalised timber green?

In message , Huge
writes
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:

Question is then, can I stain on top of these colourings?

EC

Sawn tanalised can be over painted with the usual fence type
colour/preservative. But PAR isn't suitable for this sort of paint. FWIW,
I've never seen green PAR.

PAR? In my world, PAR stands for Polished All Round and refers to glass...

Or ... Planed All Round (which is why it's never straight) and refers to
wood
--
geoff

parish July 16th 03 10:23 AM

Is tanalised timber green?

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
I have had to order it PAR, the timber yard have to place an order for
the PAR as they only stock sawn. Have confirmed it will come in Green
:( so will have to try some dark stains on it!

I'd have thought if it has to be ordered, you could have asked for clear
pressure treated stuff. I *think* tanalised is green purely for easy
identification, and checking how far the treatment has penetrated.

The only time I bought tanalised timber it was a *light* brown colour -
about as dark as pine goes after being exposed to sunlight for a couple
of years. I painted it with white microporous paint and it covered with
one coat.

Maybe someone can confirm this but I thought that Tanalising was a
specific process, maybe even a trademark, and therefore not all pressure
treated timber is *tanalised*, it could just be Cuprinol green wood
preservative or similar applied in a pressure vessel.

Oh, and when Tommy Walsh uses tanalised timer on Ground Force it never
looks green.

Rick Dipper July 17th 03 03:55 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

The Brown/Green often depends upon what it is treated with.

Brown is better for soil contact (always damp), green is best for dry areas.

The dampness of the wood effect what will attack it.

You can find in depth anaylsis of the different treatments if you search google.

Rick

impvan July 17th 03 10:46 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

Genuinely tanalised timber is always green. Some other treatments can
be brown; both solvent based and stink a bit.

What you need is protimised timber; this doesn't have a colour and
will take any finish. Just had my 14x5 purlins done like this.

Dave Plowman July 18th 03 10:39 AM

Is tanalised timber green?

In article ,
Eric Cartman wrote:
So its not sutiable where it comes in contact with surface water, i.e.
after a downpour the top of the table will be under water.

Don't think this is the meaning of surface water. I'd guess they mean
immersed in water on the ground for some time - not merely wet.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Eric Cartman July 18th 03 05:26 PM

Is tanalised timber green?

Eric Cartman wrote:
So its not sutiable where it comes in contact with surface water, i.e.
after a downpour the top of the table will be under water.

Don't think this is the meaning of surface water. I'd guess they mean
immersed in water on the ground for some time - not merely wet.

Hmm possibly. Too late anyway as my tanalised timber is turning up next week!