Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very OT - A marriage made in Jamaica

Rather than go to a legal group, I wonder if you knowledgable folk could
give some pointers please.
A friend went to Jamaica early this year to get married (her husband is
half-Jamaican and British).
They've since split up and it would appear, due partly to in-laws (ain't it
always!) t be beyond repair.
My friend still uses her maiden name and the marriage has not been
registered in the UK so, for UK purposes, she's still single as far as
officialdom is concerned.
Although they could just go their separate ways, she's concerned that he'll
come after her when she buys a house, so she wants a clean break.

What's the situation here? Can he register the marriage at a later date -
indeed, is it legal in the UK? Also, could he take her to court in Jamaica?
Seems a bit complicated and fraught to me, but we're looking for a simple
way out.

Cheers.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2011 16:48, PeterC wrote:
Rather than go to a legal group, I wonder if you knowledgable folk could
give some pointers please.
A friend went to Jamaica early this year to get married (her husband is
half-Jamaican and British).
They've since split up and it would appear, due partly to in-laws (ain't it
always!) t be beyond repair.
My friend still uses her maiden name and the marriage has not been
registered in the UK so, for UK purposes, she's still single as far as
officialdom is concerned.
Although they could just go their separate ways, she's concerned that he'll
come after her when she buys a house, so she wants a clean break.

What's the situation here? Can he register the marriage at a later date -

There are no provisions for marriages abroad to be registered in the UK,
although the documents can be lodged in the UK, if desired. It is
sufficient for them to be registered in the country where the marriage
took place.

indeed, is it legal in the UK?

Provided the marriage was legal in Jamaica, it will be legal in Britain.
There are countries whose marriages are not recognised in the UK but
SFAIK, none are Commonwealth countries.

Also, could he take her to court in Jamaica?

Quite probably. One of the disadvantages of marrying abroad is that the
laws governing the marriage are those of the country where the marriage
took place, not those of the country of residence.

Seems a bit complicated and fraught to me, but we're looking for a simple
way out.

There probably isn't one. She needs a divorce to dissolve the marriage
and professional legal advice to ensure that the divorce is legally
binding in Jamaica.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/11 16:48, PeterC wrote:
Rather than go to a legal group, I wonder if you knowledgable folk could
give some pointers please.
A friend went to Jamaica early this year to get married (her husband is
half-Jamaican and British).

xxxx
Cheers.

newsgroup
uk.legal.moderated
is good.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 9, 4:48*pm, PeterC wrote:
[...]

.

She's probably the victim of an organised con trick and should expect
the very worst.
These people are all clued upon their "rights".
I frequently travelled to3rd world countries and there are locals at
all the tourist traps with a variety of tricks for the unwary (male e
and female)
Itis usually about them getting residence in the UK and filching as
much money from them as possible./

She needs to get proper advice ASAP. This is avery serious business
she could end up in all sorts of very serious repercussions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:25:07 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

[...]

Thanks Colin. Those were my first thoughts, due to Jamaica being
Commonwealth, but I was by no means sure.
It might be leaa difficult to seek a divorce in Jamaica than in England.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 16:42:05 +0000, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

On 09/12/11 16:48, PeterC wrote:
Rather than go to a legal group, I wonder if you knowledgable folk could
give some pointers please.
A friend went to Jamaica early this year to get married (her husband is
half-Jamaican and British).

xxxx
Cheers.

newsgroup
uk.legal.moderated
is good.

[g]

I did consider that but, as I've never posted to or looked at that group and
also, at this point, wanted some opinions rather than legalstuff, this font
of all knowledge and AGs was my first choice.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:20:49 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Dec 9, 4:48*pm, PeterC wrote:
[...]

In this case it wasn't a con trick. They lived together for over 2 years
(with her mother) and the chap is very nice, decent but a bit dim. Most of
the trouble started when they moved to his parents' place to be closer to
work. His parents are religious fanatics (JWs or some such) and he seems to
be under his mother's thrall and can't be prised loose.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:24:27 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

[...]

ITRA!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2011 16:42, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
On 09/12/11 16:48, PeterC wrote:
Rather than go to a legal group, I wonder if you knowledgable folk could
give some pointers please.
A friend went to Jamaica early this year to get married (her husband is
half-Jamaican and British).

xxxx
Cheers.

newsgroup
uk.legal.moderated
is good.

I agree - I've been there a few times; however the last few times I've
tried posting there my posts have not appeared and I have no idea why.
Out of interest - anybody know why (Ping Daniele?!)

I'm aware they have a strict moderating policy but I wasn't trying to
posting anything untoward, furthermore checking at
http://www.moderation.org.uk/3displayulm.php showed no sign that my
posts ever existed, accepted/rejected or otherwise?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jamaican divorce law is similar to England&Wales law with some
differences.

* Marriage must exist for two years before a divorce can be actioned
* Partners must be seperated for one year before a divorce can be
actioned
* Both partners have to agree to the divorce

However, a non-Jamaican divorce can be submitted to a Jamaican
court for recognition. If the petitioner is resident in the UK
it might be earier to divorce in the UK. In England&Wales:

* Marriage must exist for one year before a divorce can be actioned
* Partners must be seperated for one year before a divorce can be
actioned
* Both partners have to agree to the divorce if seperated for less
than five years
* Divorce cannot be contested if seperated for more than five years

IANAL, and this is assumes no children and/or problems with shared
assets.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2011 5:26 a.m., robgraham wrote:
Anglegrinder!

ITRA!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

ITRA ?

That's what I said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:36:22 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

On 12/12/2011 5:26 a.m., robgraham wrote:
Anglegrinder!

ITRA!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

ITRA ?

That's what I said.

That's very useful, thank you. I'll pass it on.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:26:40 -0800 (PST), robgraham wrote:

On Dec 11, 8:26*am, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Is The Right Answer!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Peter,

I married a Filipina in 2008 in the Philippines.

She disappeared after I had returned to the UK after our honeymoon.

She got back in touch months later saying she has lost the money I had left
with her for a visa etc

So I paid again, when she finally arrived in the UK she seemed homesick and
wanted to return

I paid her fare and started looking into getting a divorce.

She then said she wanted to come back and make our marriage work, so I paid
her fare again.

After two months she left me and moved in with a group of Filipinos in
another part of the UK.

I started the divorce action after we had been married a year, she ignored
all the letters from the solicitor.

A second petition was served on her by a bailiff, she accepted it but
ignored it again, the divorce then went through, because when the 2nd
petition was served she then had to say to the court if she did not agree to
the divorce.

I think her best bet would be divorce him in the UK.

Mick.

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:38:57 -0000, Mick. wrote:

[...]

Hard luck Mick. Some of those Filippinas are very beautiful, as are many
Asian women (and Afican women). I had an african girlfriend and was v.
friendly with a Thai lass - pale pink women just seem unnatural somehow (and
I'm pale pink).

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:22:32 -0800 (PST), jgharston wrote:

[...]

That's very useful, thank you
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/11 16:48, PeterC wrote:
[...]

There's no way to register an overseas marriage in the UK. If the marriage
took place overseas it will normally be recognised as such in the UK. So as
far as UK law is concerned she is legally married just the same as if she got
married in the UK.

The way to deal with it is divorce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I married a Filipina in 2008 in the Philippines.
A second petition was served on her by a bailiff, she accepted it but
ignored it again, the divorce then went through, because when the 2nd
petition was served she then had to say to the court if she did not agree to
the divorce.

Assuming that you aren't an arsehole...

Once the divorce was final you should have dobbed her in to the
Immigration *******s, if you think she simply used you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:56:04 +0000, funkyoldcortina wrote:

What's the situation here? Can he register the marriage at a later date -
indeed, is it legal in the UK? Also, could he take her to court in Jamaica?
Seems a bit complicated and fraught to me, but we're looking for a simple
way out.

There's no way to register an overseas marriage in the UK. If the marriage
took place overseas it will normally be recognised as such in the UK. So as
far as UK law is concerned she is legally married just the same as if she got
married in the UK.

The way to deal with it is divorce.

OK, thanks.
I'm copying salient points to a text file and will pass on the information
next time I see her or her mother.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I married a Filipina in 2008 in the Philippines.
A second petition was served on her by a bailiff, she accepted it but
ignored it again, the divorce then went through, because when the 2nd
petition was served she then had to say to the court if she did not agree
the divorce.

Assuming that you aren't an arsehole...

Once the divorce was final you should have dobbed her in to the
Immigration *******s, if you think she simply used you.

I kept the UK Border Agency updated they said they were going to cancel her
settlement visa, but did not in the end.
After the divorce they said it no longer had anything to do with me.

Visa now expired; she is still in the UK.

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:12:46 -0000, "Mick."
wrote:

I kept the UK Border Agency updated they said they were going to cancel her
settlement visa, but did not in the end.
After the divorce they said it no longer had anything to do with me.

Incredible.

Visa now expired; she is still in the UK.

She probably spun them a good story.
Imo, any of that type who simply use marriage as a way to get a
passport should be kicked out with no exceptions.

A Marriage of Convenience Han Woodworking 1 July 25th 11 11:31 AM
A Marriage of Convenience Swingman Woodworking 0 July 24th 11 11:02 PM
Other advancements were also being made to improve the durability ofthe wristwatch. The faces were replace with ones made of synthetic plastic.This made them much more durable and resistant to breaking and cracking.Another advancement was in the dial wholesale2 Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 08:16 PM
OT - Marriage J T Woodworking 0 September 2nd 06 08:21 PM
filipinas for marriage [email protected] UK diy 0 April 12th 06 08:03 AM