Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing door lock barrels

Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks

a good locksmith ought to be able to do this. I've certainly had a barrel
rebuilt to an existing key. Mind you that was 30+ years ago and the art
may have died out.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 3:28*pm, chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks

Just keep spare keys.
The outer par tof the lock can be easily replaced.
Not economic to do anything else.

If you have a problem, you should fit eurolocks in which the barrel
can be changed in about two minutes so long as you have a key.
Picture of a eurolock barrel/cylinder here.
http://www.eurolock.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2011 15:28, chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks

A local locksmith in Cambridge, changed several Yale barrels for me. We
had different locks for front, back and garage doors (a real pain).

For an amazingly small amount, and in a short time, he re-barreled two
locks, meaning I only need to carry a single key.

I suspect if you take a good key he can make up an appropriate barrel

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
chudford writes
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks

You often find that the lock and keys have worn in equal amounts so it's
best to replace the lot at once (new cylinder & worn key = not working).

You should be able to get a decent discount on multiple keys, shop
around and haggle. £1.80 each here in quantity if you stick with Yale:

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/...ders_22.ht ml

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/84nvshy
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2011 15:28, chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.

Any good locksmith can do that for you. Preferably, you have kept one of
the original keys that came with the lock to use as a master when
cutting spares. If so, give that to the locksmith to make the barrel to.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles writes:

In article
,
chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.
Thanks

a good locksmith ought to be able to do this. I've certainly had a barrel
rebuilt to an existing key. Mind you that was 30+ years ago and the art
may have died out.

A bad non-locksmith (me) can do this. All you need is some brass rod of
the appropriate diameter, and a lot of patience in cutting and filing
a set of replacement pins to the appropriate lengths.
When it's a lock which would be used by 70 people, you would have to be
very careful to round the ends of the pins to reduce wear on the lock.
When it's just used for one person's door, that doesn't seem to matter
so much, not that I've seen.
(Actually, main door locks get so much abuse anyway that wear caused by
sharp edges on pins may be the least of the problems.)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 3:28*pm, chudford wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the barrel of a Yale
lock and still use the original key.
My question relates to our block of flats where the lock on the main
entrance door is worn and difficult to open.
Replacing the lock with a new one and a new key would require issuing
70 new keys to the residents.

Why don't you get a code lock?

You can reprogramme them quite easily; handy for when a resident
leaves.