Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default extractor fan question

Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 9:33*pm, ss wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

No. You could build one if you only wanted it to run for 20 secs.
Personally I dont see the point of most extractors when you can simply
have locked secure passive ventilation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/11/2011 21:45, NT wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:33 pm, wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

No. You could build one if you only wanted it to run for 20 secs.
Personally I dont see the point of most extractors when you can simply
have locked secure passive ventilation.

NT

With gearing I am sure one could get several minutes.
Passive yes for ventilation but to extract steam....I dunno.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 9:53*pm, ss wrote:
On 30/11/2011 21:45, NT wrote: On Nov 30, 9:33 pm, *wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

No. You could build one if you only wanted it to run for 20 secs.
Personally I dont see the point of most extractors when you can simply
have locked secure passive ventilation.

NT

With gearing I am sure one could get several minutes.
Passive yes for ventilation but to extract steam....I dunno.

those 2 are the same thing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 10:03*pm, Owain wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:33*pm, ss wrote:

Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

You could pedal while sitting on the loo, or have a small turbine in
the feed to the shower, to generate electricity for a fan.

Owain

I have visions of the mechanical power being generated within the
bowl

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2011 21:33, ss wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

I would have thought a spring driven clockwork fan would be more likely,
although I don't know of any and I suspect the running time would be
relatively short. Perhaps something made for remote regions of the
world, as the clockwork radio originally was. Otherwise, this is a DIY
group and there must be some old wind up clocks still out there,
probably in a charity shop.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

old fan, couple of pulleys, rodent wheel and a hamster???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

A clock will run off a small battery for years. The energy needed is tiny.
An extractor fan on the other hand has to shift a large amount of air so
needs considerable energy. Energy is energy no matter how it is provided.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2011 21:33, ss wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

If there's access to hot water, build a Stirling engine to run the fan.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to
dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven
clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

old fan, couple of pulleys, rodent wheel and a hamster???

That's what I thought, but although hamsterpower can light an LED I
haven't found any reports of any hamsterpower motors.

well, if you put some cayenne pepper on his bum, he'll try to run away from
his own arse hole, then his wheel could prolly power half of essex (which
i'm sure some eco**** will claim, but only if we all put our sky boxes into
standby)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ss
writes
On 30/11/2011 21:45, NT wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:33 pm, wrote:
Is there such a thing as a weight driven extractor fan so as to dispense
with electrics, thinking along the lines of the old weight driven clocks.
It would solve a few problems for me :-)

No. You could build one if you only wanted it to run for 20 secs.
Personally I dont see the point of most extractors when you can simply
have locked secure passive ventilation.

NT

With gearing I am sure one could get several minutes.
Passive yes for ventilation but to extract steam....I dunno.

Just get a hamster

--
geoff

Extractor fan SS[_2_] UK diy 3 June 28th 11 10:51 PM
Another extractor fan question David UK diy 9 April 22nd 09 10:26 PM
Extractor fan john dolan Woodworking 4 May 31st 07 12:44 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Hob/extractor Wiring question Fitting a hob and extractor electrics UK diy 1 May 31st 05 04:19 PM