Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Needing help with shower screen instructions

Hello,

Hope someone can help, having trouble understanding shower screen
instructions, specifically sealing once installed.

I have uploaded an image here of the instructions:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The part that is confusing me is:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the
tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

But why only 50mm up? This leaves the outside verticals between screen
and tiles looking unfinished. I just don't see why I can't seal all
the way up. It just doesn't look right at the moment.

Also the last line "Finally seal the joint between the upright profile
and top and bottom profile", I don't get what it means at all.

Really hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2011 18:17, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

Hope someone can help, having trouble understanding shower screen
instructions, specifically sealing once installed.

I have uploaded an image here of the instructions:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The part that is confusing me is:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the
tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

But why only 50mm up? This leaves the outside verticals between screen
and tiles looking unfinished. I just don't see why I can't seal all
the way up. It just doesn't look right at the moment.

You are using white silicone so it looks unfinished. I think they are
thinking of clear silicone.

Also the last line "Finally seal the joint between the upright profile
and top and bottom profile", I don't get what it means at all.

Pass, I can't comment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:17:04 -0800 (PST), Graham Jones wrote:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the
tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

But why only 50mm up?

It's sealed all the way up on the inside. If you seal all the way up
on the outside any moisture/condensation that gets in there is
trapped.

Also the last line "Finally seal the joint between the upright profile
and top and bottom profile", I don't get what it means at all.

I think that means where the top and bottom rails that carry the
doors meet the verticals attached to walls.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2011 23:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:17:04 -0800 (PST), Graham Jones wrote:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the
tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

As it happens I fitted one of these yesterday myself (different brand,
same instructions).

But why only 50mm up?

It's sealed all the way up on the inside. If you seal all the way up
on the outside any moisture/condensation that gets in there is
trapped.

Indeed. The 50mm up is just just to be sure pooled water which gets
under the bottom rail of the door from escaping. And you wouldn't want
to seal the *inside* of the bottom rail as it will prevent any water
which does get under the rail, by whatever route, from escaping.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 7:47*am, Lobster wrote:
On 27/11/2011 23:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:17:04 -0800 (PST), Graham Jones wrote:

"Seal only along bottom rail on the OUTSIDE between profile and the
tray *** and approx 50mm up ***"

As it happens I fitted one of these yesterday myself (different brand,
same instructions).

But why only 50mm up?

It's sealed all the way up on the inside. If you seal all the way up
on the outside any moisture/condensation that gets in there is
trapped.

Indeed. *The 50mm up is just just to be sure pooled water which gets
under the bottom rail of the door from escaping. *And you wouldn't want
to seal the *inside* of the bottom rail as it will prevent any water
which does get under the rail, by whatever route, from escaping.

David

David, I did the 50mm up with transparent silicone, but due to the
tiling not being perfect there is a tiny gap between screen and tiles.
How does yours look? Have you managed to get the screen completely
flush against the tiles?

Thanks,

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2011 16:29, Graham Jones wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Oh, mine's perfect!

Actually I used laminated board instead of tiles, which was probably
easier in that regard (but certainly not in others...!)

Are you worried about leaks, or just appearance?

TBH I'm not a happy bunny today as I used my new installation for the
first time this morning - just after my previous post - and it leaks!
but *through* the bloody door: it's a sliding one, and water is getting
round the central vertical strut. It's an old door receycled from the
way the shower is angled in the new shower, water now gets out. Don't
really know what to do about it

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 7:47 am, *wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that David, but thanks for your help anyway.

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 7:47 am, wrote:
[...]

is there not a plastic wiper strip which goes someway to seal this gap?
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 7:47 am, wrote:
[...]

Yep - "someway" being the operative word, sadly. Definitely an air gap
near the bottom, and it's pretty much inaccessible between the sliding
doors.

Folding shower screen danw UK diy 4 March 29th 09 05:13 PM
Shower Screen Seal skiffer UK diy 3 January 10th 09 03:57 PM
Leaking Shower Screen alecgreen UK diy 1 November 1st 06 08:37 PM
Shower Screen - Using Gripfil David P UK diy 6 August 7th 06 12:32 PM
Shower Screen Stephen Jones UK diy 0 August 10th 04 02:55 PM