Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paid to play!

Great fun today, had to change a dozen lamps in the street lights of an
office complex car park.

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

To my surprise it was only £144 + VAT a day including the insurance to
drive it but + any fuel.

Certainly would consider hiring one again if the job required it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Great fun today, had to change a dozen lamps in the street lights of an
office complex car park.

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

To my surprise it was only £144 + VAT a day including the insurance to
drive it but + any fuel.

Certainly would consider hiring one again if the job required it.

Totally away from your topic but you reminded me of something that happened
to my father years ago when he worked for Hawker Aircraft in Kingston. His
car got hit by a lamp post in the car park. A lorry hit a lamp post at the
other end of the car park and bent it over. Unfortunately the wiring from
post to post was top to top rather than under ground. As a result the
whole line of lamp posts, across the entire length of this fairly large car
park, followed it and one clouted Dad's car. He had a devil of a job
persuading the insurance company that he was telling the truth and only
convinced them when he sent a copy of the company newspaper with a picture
of his car and the lamp post in it.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Great fun today, had to change a dozen lamps in the street lights of an
office complex car park.

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

To my surprise it was only £144 + VAT a day including the insurance to
drive it but + any fuel.

Certainly would consider hiring one again if the job required it.

Very reasonable that Dave, wish we could obtain them for that sort of money up
this way. Most of them seem only to want to hire with an operator ...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
[...]

Which makes it bl'dy difficult to use them to steal street light
luminaries, I imagine.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, the folks who use the arm on the space station seem to enjoy riding it,
I've surprised they do not allow control by the person riding on it but
there you go.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Great fun today, had to change a dozen lamps in the street lights of an
office complex car park.

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

To my surprise it was only £144 + VAT a day including the insurance to
drive it but + any fuel.

Certainly would consider hiring one again if the job required it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

Watching these sorts of things in use, the amount of "waving
around" at the platform end looks pretty scary, especially to one
who likes to keep his feet on the ground, literally.

I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those
mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those
mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Scary. But the cherry picker operator has to be there at all times, and
will lower it if the wind gets up or whatever.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those
mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Scary. But the cherry picker operator has to be there at all times, and
will lower it if the wind gets up or whatever.

Or even if the camera man gets the "wind up"...

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 9:27*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those
mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Known to be a bit hairy as an electrical storm approaches too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MuddyMike wrote:
Scary. But the cherry picker operator has to be there at all times, and
will lower it if the wind gets up or whatever.

Or even if the camera man gets the "wind up"...

I'm not a camera person, but if you keep your eyes in the viewfinder, you
sort of detach from being miles up on a bean stalk. ;-)

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 09:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out
the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.
http://www.pgplatforms.co.uk/vmp_vehicle1.asp

Incredible piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were.
And what a difference being able to change your height or position
effortlessly.

Watching these sorts of things in use, the amount of "waving
around" at the platform end looks pretty scary, especially to one
who likes to keep his feet on the ground, literally.

This didn't seem to suffer from that. It had controls to move up/down
in/out left/right etc and also a speed control. The trick is to move
the direction control - then increase the speed control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:27:11 +0000 Chris J Dixon wrote :
Watching these sorts of things in use, the amount of "waving
around" at the platform end looks pretty scary, especially to one
who likes to keep his feet on the ground, literally.

I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those
mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Check out this one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/docklander/6292799976/

Building is 12 storeys.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:21:09 +1100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Check out this one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/docklander/6292799976/

Doesn't load here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Check out this one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/docklander/6292799976/

Doesn't load here.

I once observed a workman working on an old cathedral in Spain. He was
about 40ft up in the air, standing with one foot on the edge of the
cherry picker basket and the other on the parapet of the cathedral.
Made my blood run cold.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2011 10:29, fred wrote:
I once observed a workman working on an old cathedral in Spain. He was
about 40ft up in the air, standing with one foot on the edge of the
cherry picker basket and the other on the parapet of the cathedral.
Made my blood run cold.

Probably reckoned that if either fell over he'd stay on the other. And
if both went - the Good Lord would save him...

Picture BTW works fine here. Just puzzled why they didn't use the door
onto the roof...

Andy