Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beany and MDF

MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 11, 2011 9:14:38 AM UTC, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

Was the bath "top" MDF ? I was wondering what it was.
I guess if it was sealed and painted well it could be OK.

I can understand why the conservation officer is freaking out, since they are trying to do the job without breaking the bank. The point of a conservation officer is to make you spend until the pips squeak ...
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

why not? as long as you cover it with waterproof tiles, its no big deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2011 9:14:38 AM UTC, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

Was the bath "top" MDF ? I was wondering what it was.
I guess if it was sealed and painted well it could be OK.

I can understand why the conservation officer is freaking out, since they are trying to do the job without breaking the bank. The point of a conservation officer is to make you spend until the pips squeak ...
Simon.

My path is fully boxed in MDF. tiled. Its fine. Its more stable than ply
when slightly damp..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 9:14 am, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

last week's "cliff hanger" seemed to set sail 100% for the usual beeny
"quick bodge and flog it on for a paper profit" along with much pining
about losing the "family home" and heartaching shots of junior beenies
cavorting around the... er.... building site.....mmm

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2011 9:14:38 AM UTC, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

Was the bath "top" MDF ? I was wondering what it was.
I guess if it was sealed and painted well it could be OK.

I can understand why the conservation officer is freaking out, since
they are trying to do the job without breaking the bank. The point of
a conservation officer is to make you spend until the pips squeak ...
Simon.

My path is fully boxed in MDF. tiled. Its fine. Its more stable than ply
when slightly damp..

Doesn't it make it difficult to walk on?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 11, 2011 10:09:23 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

why not? as long as you cover it with waterproof tiles, its no big deal.

But the beeny one was not tiled. It was painted green to match the room.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 11, 2011 10:24:33 AM UTC, Jim K wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:14 am, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

last week's "cliff hanger" seemed to set sail 100% for the usual beeny
"quick bodge and flog it on for a paper profit" along with much pining
about losing the "family home" and heartaching shots of junior beenies
cavorting around the... er.... building site.....mmm

Jim K

Its getting boring now they are just fitting out bathrooms etc.
I did think the "we might sell it" thing was contrived for the program. Although sometimes things can appear as such when cut down in the edit. I guess if they got a good enough offer they would take it.

And is the planning issue mainly with the "change of use or not" situation ?
That seems to have been lumped in with the listed building consent.

Next week might be interesting since I love big old cellars etc. Those old ones usually have vaulted / arched ceilings to support a heavy stone floor above.

The annoying thing visiting stately homes is that you never see the
.... pause for 2 minutes silence ...
interface between above and below stairs which is the most interesting thing.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 11:02, sm_jamieson wrote:

The annoying thing visiting stately homes is that you never see the
... pause for 2 minutes silence ...
interface between above and below stairs which is the most interesting thing.

Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire certainly includes all the below stairs
stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 11, 2011 11:15:48 AM UTC, Andrew May wrote:
On 11/11/2011 11:02, sm_jamieson wrote:

The annoying thing visiting stately homes is that you never see the
... pause for 2 minutes silence ...
interface between above and below stairs which is the most interesting thing.

Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire certainly includes all the below stairs
stuff.

Can you go from one to the other via the original servants doors etc ?
Some places have the state rooms open and the servants quarters open, but never the twain shall meet.
Thats usually because the "twain" is where the folks are living ...
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 11:02, sm_jamieson wrote:

Its getting boring now they are just fitting out bathrooms etc.
I did think the "we might sell it" thing was contrived for the program. Although sometimes things can appear as such when cut down in the edit. I guess if they got a good enough offer they would take it.

And is the planning issue mainly with the "change of use or not" situation ?
That seems to have been lumped in with the listed building consent.

Next week might be interesting since I love big old cellars etc. Those old ones usually have vaulted / arched ceilings to support a heavy stone floor above.

The annoying thing visiting stately homes is that you never see the
... pause for 2 minutes silence ...
interface between above and below stairs which is the most interesting thing.

The thing that drives me up the wall with all these programmes is the
way they spin them out... you start off with a recap of what's happened
so far in the series; then the do a preview of all the 'best' bits
you're going to see in this week's episode.

Finally, we get started.

Then it's 'commercial time', preceded by a quick preview of what's
coming up in the next segment, natch. After the ads, we've of course
forgotten what the programme's all about, so of course we need another
recap.

Then repeat stages 2 and 3 twice until the end credits roll, along with
a preview of next week's episode.

Would be instructive to edit down an hour-long show to weed out all the
crap... bet it would be only half the length.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 11, 2011 11:29:01 AM UTC, Lobster wrote:
[...]

If you've got a PVR (sky+ etc) this is regular occurance. X factor (don't ask me why I watch it !) gets down to a quarter of the time if you just want to watch the "singing".
The funny thing is what a program made like that is shown on BBC. They have a kind of splash screen where the ads would have been, then the recap. So you get "this is coming up" ... "this just came up" ... some content ... "this is coming up" etc.
Especially prevalent on daytime shows.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 11:27, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2011 11:15:48 AM UTC, Andrew May wrote:
On 11/11/2011 11:02, sm_jamieson wrote:

The annoying thing visiting stately homes is that you never see the
... pause for 2 minutes silence ...
interface between above and below stairs which is the most interesting thing.

Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire certainly includes all the below stairs
stuff.

Can you go from one to the other via the original servants doors etc ?
Some places have the state rooms open and the servants quarters open, but never the twain shall meet.
Thats usually because the "twain" is where the folks are living ...
Simon.

You certainly don't have to go outside to go from one to the other. From
what I recall there is a servants passage that you access from one of
the rooms and that leads to the kitchens, butlers room etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 11:38, sm_jamieson wrote:

If you've got a PVR (sky+ etc) this is regular occurance. X factor (don't ask me why I watch it !) gets down to a quarter of the time if you just want to watch the "singing".
The funny thing is what a program made like that is shown on BBC. They have a kind of splash screen where the ads would have been, then the recap. So you get "this is coming up" ... "this just came up" ... some content ... "this is coming up" etc.
Especially prevalent on daytime shows.
Simon.

I'm beginning to notice it with programmes made by the Beeb. There are
parts where you expect adverts to be. I suspect it is to make it easier
to sell to other broadcasters.

A lot of the nature programs, like Frozen Planet, have a ten minute 'how
the filmed it' segment at the end. Can't help but feel that this is more
about something to cut to put adverts in and keep it as a one hour
program than genuine interest. But I could be wrong.

And I have edited several Grand Designs to remove adverts and they all
come to 42 minutes in length. Anyone else notice that when shown on
More4 they often take an hour and five minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Then it's 'commercial time', preceded by a quick preview of what's
coming up in the next segment, natch. After the ads, we've of course
forgotten what the programme's all about, so of course we need another
recap.

I suppose it is to try an capture a viewer who has been channel hopping
and just come across it.

Reminds me of the way insurance companies offer a discount to new
customers so effectively saying 'up yours' to existing ones.

And, of course, it cuts down on the amount of original material needed -
although this sort of prog would normally have lots which end up on the
cutting room floor.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Then it's 'commercial time', preceded by a quick preview of what's
coming up in the next segment, natch. After the ads, we've of course
forgotten what the programme's all about, so of course we need another
recap.

I suppose it is to try an capture a viewer who has been channel hopping
and just come across it.

Reminds me of the way insurance companies offer a discount to new
customers so effectively saying 'up yours' to existing ones.

I've just received a reneal "invitation" with a premium increase of 32%. I
rang to say "No". "hang on," they said - "we can offer you a 'loyalty
discount'". When the paperwork arrives, I'll still cancel. I don't do
business that way.
Now, if they'd offered the 'loyalty discount' initially ....

And, of course, it cuts down on the amount of original material needed -
although this sort of prog would normally have lots which end up on the
cutting room floor.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

And I have edited several Grand Designs to remove adverts and they all
come to 42 minutes in length. Anyone else notice that when shown on
More4 they often take an hour and five minutes.

Quite a few of this series have been revisits, so it is only
necessary to watch the section after the last ad break. Saves
even more time.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

why not? as long as you cover it with waterproof tiles, its no big deal.

But the beeny one was not tiled. It was painted green to match the room.
Simon.

well which is more waterproof..MDF or plasterboard?

If its not tiled one assumes its not gonna get soaked.

Only problem I have had with using MDF rather than plasterboard is the
problem of sealing cracks between the boards..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 11:56, Andrew May wrote:
On 11/11/2011 11:38, sm_jamieson wrote:

If you've got a PVR (sky+ etc) this is regular occurance. X factor
(don't ask me why I watch it !) gets down to a quarter of the time if
you just want to watch the "singing".
The funny thing is what a program made like that is shown on BBC. They
have a kind of splash screen where the ads would have been, then the
recap. So you get "this is coming up" ... "this just came up" ... some
content ... "this is coming up" etc.
Especially prevalent on daytime shows.
Simon.

I'm beginning to notice it with programmes made by the Beeb. There are
parts where you expect adverts to be. I suspect it is to make it easier
to sell to other broadcasters.

BBC World programmes carry advertising as well.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Quite a few of this series have been revisits, so it is only
necessary to watch the section after the last ad break. Saves
even more time.

You remember the original that well? I don't. Even although I might have
seen it more than once. But usually see something I've missed on watching
again.
Of course I'm rare in that I don't like soaps or reality or game shows. So
the things I want to watch are rather restricted.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
I'm beginning to notice it with programmes made by the Beeb. There are
parts where you expect adverts to be. I suspect it is to make it easier
to sell to other broadcasters.

BBC World programmes carry advertising as well.

The original series of Dr Findlay's Casebook was made with ad breaks in
mind - they were even in the script. 40 odd years ago?

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
I'm beginning to notice it with programmes made by the Beeb. There
are parts where you expect adverts to be. I suspect it is to make it
easier to sell to other broadcasters.

BBC World programmes carry advertising as well.

The original series of Dr Findlay's Casebook was made with ad breaks in
mind - they were even in the script. 40 odd years ago?

and was The Troubleshooters - the film version even had the commercial
slots built into the film.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
The original series of Dr Findlay's Casebook was made with ad breaks in
mind - they were even in the script. 40 odd years ago?

and was The Troubleshooters - the film version even had the commercial
slots built into the film.

Gosh. That takes me back. At the start of one series, 'they' were told
they had to 'editec' (ITV or trade name - don't remember what the BBC
called it) via the studio. Ie, roll the tape back, play in then drop into
record at the correct point. Which meant the action in the studio starting
at exactly at that time, picking up from where it left off. If it failed,
you had to go back further down the tape as you couldn't do this at the
same point twice. The idea was to save on editing costs and or time.

Needless to say it failed, and we eventually ended up back at the start of
the programme. I never saw it used again - although when I went to ITV
many simple progs were made like this. The beauty was the prog was
finished at the end of the studio time - no post production necessary.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 11/11/11 11:56, Andrew May wrote:
On 11/11/2011 11:38, sm_jamieson wrote:

If you've got a PVR (sky+ etc) this is regular occurance. X factor
(don't ask me why I watch it !) gets down to a quarter of the time if
you just want to watch the "singing".
The funny thing is what a program made like that is shown on BBC. They
have a kind of splash screen where the ads would have been, then the
recap. So you get "this is coming up" ... "this just came up" ... some
content ... "this is coming up" etc.
Especially prevalent on daytime shows.
Simon.

I'm beginning to notice it with programmes made by the Beeb. There are
parts where you expect adverts to be. I suspect it is to make it easier
to sell to other broadcasters.

Seems to happen on radio too. Six O'Clock News on R4 seems to have a
break after around 15minutes to remid you what you just heard and what
is to come next.

A lot of the nature programs, like Frozen Planet, have a ten minute 'how
the filmed it' segment at the end. Can't help but feel that this is more
about something to cut to put adverts in and keep it as a one hour
program than genuine interest. But I could be wrong.

And I have edited several Grand Designs to remove adverts and they all
come to 42 minutes in length. Anyone else notice that when shown on
More4 they often take an hour and five minutes.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Then it's 'commercial time', preceded by a quick preview of what's
coming up in the next segment, natch. After the ads, we've of course
forgotten what the programme's all about, so of course we need another
recap.

I suppose it is to try an capture a viewer who has been channel hopping
and just come across it.

Or just as likely induce even more channel hopping.

Reminds me of the way insurance companies offer a discount to new
customers so effectively saying 'up yours' to existing ones.

And, of course, it cuts down on the amount of original material needed -
although this sort of prog would normally have lots which end up on the
cutting room floor.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:38:47 +0000, Pete Shew
wrote:

My path is fully boxed in MDF. tiled. Its fine. Its more stable than ply
when slightly damp..

Doesn't it make it difficult to walk on?

Also a bit of a privacy concern dancing around nude outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, November 11, 2011 9:14:38 AM UTC, fred wrote:
MDF lining to a bathroom? Didn't even appear to be waterproof mdf. And
plywood floor covering? Glad she's not doing my restoration.

Paul Mc Cann

Was the bath "top" MDF ? I was wondering what it was.
I guess if it was sealed and painted well it could be OK.
I can understand why the conservation officer is freaking out, since
they are trying to do the job without breaking the bank. The point of
a conservation officer is to make you spend until the pips squeak ...
Simon.

My path is fully boxed in MDF. tiled. Its fine. Its more stable than
ply when slightly damp..

That's really crazy paving then

--
geoff