Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Credit Card - for DIY Purchases

Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated. If I am to take
on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to pay off the
debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group would
recommend please?

Quite a few cards allow you to colled "points" to be used as a discount
somewhere. eg M&S and John Lewis. There is a BT card which gives a
discount on your phone bill and there are a number of charity cards where
the 'points' collected are paid to the nominating charity.

I doubt if there is much to choose between the cards otherwise.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Not really:-)

I have B. card and a Trustcard from LloydsTSB.

They both allow direct debit settlement so there is no risk of
interest.

I use one for business expenses and the other for personal.

I think Lloyds are now pushing a tie-up with AMEX to offer air miles as
a spending inducement.

I tried searching for a card with all the usual bells and whistles but
giving cash back instead of Nectar points etc. but decided to stick
where I am.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:59:05 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

If you're talking about the Consumer Credit Act protection then items
costing over £100 and under a large amount[1] are covered then all
credit cards *should* be the same. However I've found some are very
good at avoiding their responsibilities. I haven't had to invoke it
many times but COOP was good and Barclaycard wasn't. Even under £100
they may do a chargeback on a purchase that was bad too.

Pay your full balance off by direct debit every month and you never
pay any interest. You can also get cashback cards that pay you a
small amount for each transaction but I haven't bothered with this.

[1] Can't recall the exact amount, maybe £50K?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending
to pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

A cashback card is generally a good deal.
The way to work it is to buy everything on the credit card and pay the
balance off at the end of the month - so you have some level of protection
on everything you buy and you get a minor cash flow advantage of paying your
bills a few days/weeks in arrears.
We have recently changed to the Capital One credit card as this seemed to be
the best long term cash back deal around (apart from Amex who pay more
cashback but gouge the retailers so they are not popular nor universally
acepted).
As always, I am not a financial adviser so please check places like Which?
and money saving sites.
e.g. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...k-credit-cards

HTH

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:08:34 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Not really:-)

I have B. card and a Trustcard from LloydsTSB.

They both allow direct debit settlement so there is no risk of
interest.

The right way to use a credit card. We have one for internet purchases
with a low credit limit, and resist any attempt they might make to
increase it.

Personally I don't notice whether they increase my credit limit or
not. I'm not going to go on a mad spending spree as a result.

It's handy to have a fairly large credit limit for those rare
occasions when you need to make a big purchase ;-)
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

[...]

Very good advice. Until last week I would have suggested an Egg card but the
entire operation has been sold to Barclaycard. For ex-Egg customers the 1%
cashback continues. A quick look at their website indicates they offer a
similar product to new customers.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 08:59, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Thanks

Phil

Take a look at

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...t-card-rewards

I have had a Capital One World Mastercard for ages. It is cleared every
month by direct debit and I get 1 percent cashback paid once per year.

You might want to google Visa chargeback which helps with smaller amounts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter
Crosland wrote

Very good advice. Until last week I would have suggested an Egg card but the
entire operation has been sold to Barclaycard. For ex-Egg customers the 1%
cashback continues. A quick look at their website indicates they offer a
similar product to new customers.

I have a cashback Barclaycard but only as a result of the card company
being taken over by them. The terms and conditions, with respect to the
cash-back, have changed - for the worse - since they took over.

My experience with Egg in general that they offer high headline rates of
interest to attract new custom and then slash that rate to below the
competition when you have signed up. Egg is not a company that I would
recommend.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:46:03 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

I used to have a Lloyds TSB card but hardly used it. When I did I got hit by
interest although I had Direct Debit set up. Turned out that the DD was
stopped if the card was unused for a year for "security". I rather suspected
other wise and cancelled the card - just use the Nationwide one now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They'll also wriggle out of it if the total is £100 but made up of lesser
amount, so buying parts for a computer might come to several hundred pounds
but only the display will qualify.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 08:59, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Thanks

Phil

Some cards are Visa based, others use Mastercard.

My preference is to use online banking to schedule the payment, that way
there is no direct link between my bank account and my credit card.

It is nice if you can arrange for monthly due date to be a few days
after any regular income is paid into you account.

Nationwide used to be very reasonable for foreign purchases. They also
have a UK based call centre.

Avoid MBNA - though they did send me my first mobile phone FOC.

I think that some Visa based debit cards already offer some form of
online purchase protection.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:01:34 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:08:34 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

True but it helps in case some bugger gets hold of your details.

Shouldn't matter. Fraud is the card company's problem not the
customer's.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's not really a wriggle. The law states the item has to be worth
more than £100. It also helps if you only pay for part of an item
worth more than £100 on the credit card.

A good credit card company will often help below the threshold IME.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 8:59*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes, intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Thanks

Phil

Tesco.

Only problem I've ever had is ther fraud detection sometimes seems to
have a hair trigger. Two legitimate on-line purchases from the same
store in quick succession (we forgot an item on the first order)
resulted in the card being declined the second time.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 10:50, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On 11/11/2011 08:59, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Being somewhat old fashioned, credit is not in my life plan (except
morgage).

But I like the idea of the purchase insurance associated.
If I am to take on a credit card solely for security purposes,
intending to
pay off the debt before interest is due, is there a card that the group
would recommend please?

Thanks

Phil

Take a look at

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...t-card-rewards

I have had a Capital One World Mastercard for ages. It is cleared every
month by direct debit and I get 1 percent cashback paid once per year.

You might want to google Visa chargeback which helps with smaller amounts.

One further thought. I never let anyone have a continuing authority on
my credit cards. They are far more difficult to cancel than a direct debit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 14:04, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Apart from My Capital One Card I had an Egg card which was recently
taken over by Barclaycard. Looks like I was not the only one whose
account got screwed up by Barclaycard.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...nsfer-problems

Over the years I have closed a Barclaycard account and 2 Separate
Barclays current accounts because of appalling problesm. I think we will
soon be parting again but will have to leave the account open until
March to get my cashback.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:

[Snip]

Shouldn't matter. Fraud is the card company's problem not the
customer's.

isn't that part of the problem? The customer should help to minimise fraud.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 14:33, charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[Snip]

Shouldn't matter. Fraud is the card company's problem not the
customer's.

isn't that part of the problem? The customer should help to minimise fraud.

That is harder to do than it sounds when the credit card company asks
you impossible to answer security questions, and will honour reruns of
historic authorised one-time transactions up to six years later!

Best one I have ever been asked was "name a hotel in Chester that you
stayed in last year". The "correct" answer was Lumley Castle, near
Durham. It came up as "Chester le Street" on their screen (truncated).

"Name a road that connects to your street" wasn't much better. They
didn't like A19 as an answer. Minor roads here do not have names.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:33:52 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:

[Snip]

Shouldn't matter. Fraud is the card company's problem not the
customer's.

isn't that part of the problem? The customer should help to minimise fraud.

The credit limit's pretty irrelevant in helping to minimize fraud.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:25:59 +0000, Mark wrote:

Pay your full balance off by direct debit every month and you never
pay any interest.

With the level of fraud on credit cards being what it is I would
never link a CC via variable direct debit to a bank account.
Something appears on your CC and unless you check the statement
quickly and put things into dispute the money whizzes out of your
account. I find you get far more response from companies if they
think you owe them money rather than letting the have it then trying
to claw it back from them.

If the OP really is going to pay off the balance in full every month
going for a card with the best kickbacks (cash back etc) rather than
lowest interest or interest free balance transfer period is the way
to go.

I have cards from Visa and Mastercard. Mastercard has never given me
any trouble. The automatic fraud detection on my Visa has been
triggered several times, only one has been genuine. The others have
been triggered either by an "out of the normal transaction" or by the
system itself.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:09:59 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Best one I have ever been asked was "name a hotel in Chester that you
stayed in last year". The "correct" answer was Lumley Castle, near
Durham. It came up as "Chester le Street" on their screen (truncated).

Bah I had something similar the other night trying to pay for car
insurance online via debit card. One of the questions was "Have you
ever lived or being associated with any of these address's?" The a
list of half a dozen first address lines. One of which was "12
Greentree Road", which is a couple of doors down from where I have
lived at a "12 Bough Villas, Greentree Road". As "12 Greentree Road"
is incorrect I didn't select that line and the transaction was
declined. The damn system then remembered the attempt and wouldn't
let me pay via DC even 24hrs+ later, had to pay by CC and take the
1.5% fee, barstards.

Verified by Visa is a PITA, I forgot the password I could remember
(shut up at the back) but it won't let you reset the password to one
you have used before. The upshot is I can *never* remember the
password and have enter a new, unique, one everytime...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 16:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Verified by Visa is a near textbook example of how not to implement a
secure payment authentication system. It is way too vulnerable to a
classic man-in-the-middle attack. Details of its failings are online at:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Paper...securecode.pdf

Read it and weep!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:09:58 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

Agreed. And I've never managed to get a transaction using VWV to work
at all. The page always times out.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:33:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:25:59 +0000, Mark wrote:

Pay your full balance off by direct debit every month and you never
pay any interest.

With the level of fraud on credit cards being what it is I would
never link a CC via variable direct debit to a bank account.
Something appears on your CC and unless you check the statement
quickly and put things into dispute the money whizzes out of your
account. I find you get far more response from companies if they
think you owe them money rather than letting the have it then trying
to claw it back from them.

Personally I think that the risk of me forgetting to pay on time is
far greater. If there is a fraudulent transaction which the CC card
does not spot you still have time to query the bill before the direct
debit would be taken.

I have cards from Visa and Mastercard. Mastercard has never given me
any trouble. The automatic fraud detection on my Visa has been
triggered several times, only one has been genuine. The others have
been triggered either by an "out of the normal transaction" or by the
system itself.

The anti-fraud system has only triggered once for me and it was fraud.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 17:27, Mark wrote:
The anti-fraud system has only triggered once for me and it was fraud.

I triggered for me last week.

Someone somewhere bought some Ryanair tickets (among other things) which
seemed to me to be an ideal chance to catch them - they'll be at a known
place at a known time, with ID.

Nothing can be done until paper forms have been exchanged between myself
and the card company. Bet the bird has flown by then...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:47:42 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Someone somewhere bought some Ryanair tickets (among other things) which
seemed to me to be an ideal chance to catch them - they'll be at a known
place at a known time, with ID.

I doubt it, they buy the flights/holiday with stolen card details
online get the tickets then send 'em back to the airline/holiday
company for a refund. Nice clean money...

It shouldn't be possible but the orginal fraud shouldn't be possible
either...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:47:42 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Someone somewhere bought some Ryanair tickets (among other things) which
seemed to me to be an ideal chance to catch them - they'll be at a known
place at a known time, with ID.

I doubt it, they buy the flights/holiday with stolen card details
online get the tickets then send 'em back to the airline/holiday
company for a refund. Nice clean money...

It shouldn't be possible but the orginal fraud shouldn't be possible
either...

Wouldn't they have to supply some details for the refund?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

they buy the flights/holiday with stolen card details
online get the tickets then send 'em back to the airline/holiday
company for a refund. Nice clean money...

Usually items purchased on card, get refunded to the same card, I've
never tried to get payment back in cash or a different card, so can't
say it's impossible, but it ought to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:07:43 -0000, Wesley wrote:

I doubt it, they buy the flights/holiday with stolen card details
online get the tickets then send 'em back to the airline/holiday
company for a refund. Nice clean money...

It shouldn't be possible but the orginal fraud shouldn't be

possible
either...

Wouldn't they have to supply some details for the refund?

In theory the refund should go back to the card but in theory the
card shouldn't have been able to be charged with the fraudulent
purchases in the first place.

Invent some sob story of having to cancel the holiday because their
house hand been burgled/fire and they need the cash or Aunt Bessie
has died and on top of all that they have had their wallet/purse
stolen so don't have that card any longer and anyway it's been
stopped and the replacement hasn't arrived etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Verified by Visa/Secure Code I try to avoid by using Amex, but fewer
companies accept it and some that do subsequently phone up and say
payment didn't go through. They don't know how to handle a card number
of different length, 4 digit security code etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Part Timer
writes
wrote:

[...]

AMEX charge the retailers a higher %age transaction fee.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 2:03*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Part Timer
writes

*wrote:

[...]

And I'm told have a habit of siding with the consumer in disputes.
When I got Amex noone would accept it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[...]

You're all missing the point. Get a worthwhile refund from Ryanair?? Good
luck to 'em!

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

[...]