Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default Police warning from the past. (And don't mention the War.)

On 8 Nov,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I obviously cannot read these as they are pictures of words, but talking
about Police language in general, they still do issue info in Police
speak. I am not quite sure how one would describe it, but its the very
precise choice of words and the lack of any kind of emotion in them.
I They tend to operate email warnings these days, supposedly for the
elderly but the laghable part is that in the main, most of the potential
market for this kind of warning do not have computers. Kind of lack of
research syndrome but they tend to be so arrogant nobody can tell them they
are wrong.
Brian

People in the village where I lived in the mid 70s used to get paking tickets
endorsed " See me"
(signed) Len.

Len was the village bobby and would give a talk how he didn't want his
seargent to give him a b********g so please don't do it again or a migh have
to wake up and take action.

His method was quite effective in educating his flock. as re-offending was
low.

He used to regularly get into the village pub but always left before 10, so
he 'didn't know' about the lockin.

One evening the church choir (who practiced in the back room of the pub) were
still in the bar in full song at 1am. A hemet appeared at the window, The
choir departed rapidly in their cars driving behind him. He told us to be
quiet and then disappeared, and the regulars just carried on as normal.

That to me was good community policing. Can't see it happening these days.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

He used to regularly get into the village pub but always left before 10,
so
he 'didn't know' about the lockin.

When I worked part time in a pub (the merry go round, west brom) the police
were inside for the lock in.
There could be four or five panda cars on the car park.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus

wrote in message ...

He used to regularly get into the village pub but always left before 10,
so
he 'didn't know' about the lockin.

When I worked part time in a pub (the merry go round, west brom) the police
were inside for the lock in.
There could be four or five panda cars on the car park.

Don't have that problem around here anymore, as the pubs are getting
very rapidly turned into blocks of flats.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
The week I spent in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, the pub never closed. At
the time, there was only a policeman on the island one week in three. I assume
the week I was there wasn't one of them.

I'd guess he would be one of the people in the lockin, checking on the
beer quality, or serving it.

(In the background, playing the saxophone)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownu...ramme/balamory

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2011 23:44, wrote:
On 8 Nov,
"Brian wrote:

[...]

Up to 10 years ago (before I was married), I spent three or four
evenings a week in the local pub. We were regularly in there 'til half
past midnight and the police just ignored it - they certainly knew, as
every night they used the pub car park as a place for a couple of their
cars to sit waiting for a call!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:44:49 GMT, wrote:
[snip]

That to me was good community policing. Can't see it happening these days.

Community policing nowadays means attending a few meetings but never
actually venturing out onto the streets.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:15:22 +0000, Roger Chapman
wrote:

He used to regularly get into the village pub but always left before 10, so
he 'didn't know' about the lockin.

A pub I used to visit regularly at weekends in the 1960s (Red Lion in
Dinas Mawddwy) before drinking-up time was introduced always got a visit
from the local PC about 5 minutes before closing time. Any drinks not
finished by closing time stayed unfinished as he didn't go away again
until the tables were cleared.

A pub in a small Highland village I know always got a tip-off phone
call from the major town when a Duty Inspector was on his way. The pub
phoned the hotel, who called the other hostelries.
Funny, the premises were never found to be in breach of their
licences.