Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long does food keep in cans?

On Nov 2, 6:37*pm, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
An elderly neighbour has kindly given us a couple of cans.

One contains 4 Goblin "Hamburgers With Onions and Gravy", with a 49p
price sticker still on it.

Their other is a Heinz treacle sponge pudding (28 pence from Tesco).
It's old enough not even to have a barcode.

We're not planning on consuming either of them, but I wonder whether
they'd be safe to eat.

In the 1970s my father bought a lot of corned beef and stored it 'just
in case'. 30 years later he found some of the tins had blown but
some had not and he found a correlation with country of origin. I
persuaded him not to eat any of it.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 1:04*pm, RobertL wrote:
On Nov 2, 6:37*pm, (D.M.

Procida) wrote:
An elderly neighbour has kindly given us a couple of cans.

One contains 4 Goblin "Hamburgers With Onions and Gravy", with a 49p
price sticker still on it.

Their other is a Heinz treacle sponge pudding (28 pence from Tesco).
It's old enough not even to have a barcode.

We're not planning on consuming either of them, but I wonder whether
they'd be safe to eat.

In the 1970s my father bought a lot of corned beef and stored it 'just
in case'. *30 *years later he found some of the tins had blown but
some had not and he found a correlation with country of origin. * I
persuaded him not to eat any of it.

Robert

In some less well off countries, cans have been immersed in the local
river to cool them after processing. This increases infection risk. No
idea whether thats the cause in this case.

NT