Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default clesaning toilet channels

asking for advice on a product that effectively cleans the unseen water
channels within the upper rim of a toilet. I need something that I can pop
into the cistern so it charges the water up and then will clean the channels
over a period of time as it flushes. I searched on google and ebay but
didn't see anything specific for this. I don't need to clean the bowl
itself, I've already done that with spirits of salts (fantastic stuff) but I
had the toilet cistern pipe off this morning, held a mirror and shone a
torch into the water flush channels and it's terrible brown sludge in there.
Thanks for any pointers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/11 16:26, tg wrote:
spirits of salts

you should have poured the stuff down the pipe whilst you had it off.

zaax
My weather: http://tinyurl.com/ch6krz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , zaax
writes
On 29/10/11 16:26, tg wrote:
spirits of salts

you should have poured the stuff down the pipe whilst you had it off.

I never came across (!) that in the Kama Sutra

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2011 16:26, tg wrote:
asking for advice on a product that effectively cleans the unseen water
channels within the upper rim of a toilet. I need something that I can pop
into the cistern so it charges the water up and then will clean the
channels
over a period of time as it flushes. I searched on google and ebay but
didn't see anything specific for this. I don't need to clean the bowl
itself, I've already done that with spirits of salts (fantastic stuff)
but I
had the toilet cistern pipe off this morning, held a mirror and shone a
torch into the water flush channels and it's terrible brown sludge in
there.
Thanks for any pointers.

Whatever you do, don't use those 'blue' thingy's that go in the cistern.
I have long thought they corroded plastics and I now notice that many
makes of siphon & fill valve state their use will void any warranty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 3:26*pm, "tg" wrote:
asking for advice on a product that effectively cleans the unseen water
channels within the upper rim of a toilet. I need something that I can pop
into the cistern so it charges the water up and then will clean the channels
over a period of time as it flushes. I searched on google and ebay but
didn't see anything specific for this. I don't need to clean the bowl
itself, I've already done that with spirits of salts (fantastic stuff) but I
had the toilet cistern pipe off this morning, held a mirror and shone a
torch into the water flush channels and it's terrible brown sludge in there.
Thanks for any pointers.

Anything that goes in the cistern has to be not too corrosive to the
metalwork in there, thus is only mildly effective, and does still
corrode the cistern contents. It would help though. I'd go with
sticking some acid up there via the bowl every time you clean the loo,
if workable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 9:42*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 29/10/2011 16:26, tg wrote:

[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I had been using the blue cleansing tablets for a couple of years now.
Noticed internal corrosion in the tank and so have moved to the ons
you can clamp on the edge of the toilet.
John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/10/2011 16:26, tg wrote:

[...]

those are worse, they fall in and are the main cause of blockages. And
of course no chemical will clear them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 18:54, NT wrote:
On Oct 29, 3:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

In theory, a weak acid in the cistern should gradually clear the lime
scale. But of course you don't want to be attacking any metalwork inside
the cistern. Brown sludge sounds a bit like a biofilm to me, although I
suppose it could contain some iron oxide. Repeated dosing with bleach
might clear biofilms.

You might think about a bag or perforated container of citric, oxalic,
or sulphamic acid which should slowly leach out into the water.
Alternatively, how about some of those balls of "water conditioner"
phosphate: should reduce formation of lime scale but not sure if it
would dissolve existing lime scale.

Now, if you could arrange to bubble flue gas through the water, the
dissolved carbon dioxide should acidify it nicely. Not a serious or
practicable solution here, but at one nuclear power station (where they
have plenty of clean CO2 on tap)it is bubbled through the water which
magnesium fuel cladding debris is stored under, converting a solid waste
stream into a liquid one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 4, 8:24*pm, Newshound wrote:
On 01/11/2011 18:54, NT wrote:

On Oct 29, 3:26 pm, *wrote:
[...]

I did once idly contemplate the possibility of using a direct contact
heat exchanger on a boiler output to recover a little heat at minimal
cost, with the acidified water being occasionally tapped to clean the
toilet. I cant remember whether it paid its way, but I think it did.
Maybe in 100 years time that's how things will work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"tg" writes:
asking for advice on a product that effectively cleans the unseen water
channels within the upper rim of a toilet. I need something that I can pop
into the cistern so it charges the water up and then will clean the channels
over a period of time as it flushes. I searched on google and ebay but
didn't see anything specific for this. I don't need to clean the bowl
itself, I've already done that with spirits of salts (fantastic stuff) but I
had the toilet cistern pipe off this morning, held a mirror and shone a
torch into the water flush channels and it's terrible brown sludge in there.
Thanks for any pointers.

What about blocking the U-trap with a balloon, and then filling the
pan to the brim with descaler (doesn't need to be concentrated).
Make sure the balloon is big enough not to be able to be forced
down the pipework without bursting first.

Afterwards, you can either try and retrieve the balloon, or just
burst it.

You might be able to wedge a sink plunger in instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What about blocking the U-trap with a balloon, and then filling the
pan to the brim with descaler (doesn't need to be concentrated).
Make sure the balloon is big enough not to be able to be forced
down the pipework without bursting first.

Not sure I fancy a loo full of descaler with an inflated balloon stuck
on the bottom... it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it so
stay in the ubend?

Maybe a bolloon full of water would be rather easier?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

What about blocking the U-trap with a balloon, and then filling the
pan to the brim with descaler (doesn't need to be concentrated).
Make sure the balloon is big enough not to be able to be forced
down the pipework without bursting first.

Not sure I fancy a loo full of descaler with an inflated balloon stuck
on the bottom... it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it so
stay in the ubend?

Maybe a bolloon full of water would be rather easier?

Isn't that a medical technique ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"tg" writes:
[...]

My old man did this and it works. Th etrick is to tape the balloon to a bit
of tube first, then inflate the balloon in situ.

Removal is easy - open the tube and defate
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 16:24:03 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

What about blocking the U-trap with a balloon, and then filling the pan
to the brim with descaler (doesn't need to be concentrated). Make sure
the balloon is big enough not to be able to be forced down the pipework
without bursting first.

Not sure I fancy a loo full of descaler with an inflated balloon stuck
on the bottom... it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it so
stay in the ubend?

Maybe a bolloon full of water would be rather easier?

Isn't that a medical technique ;-)

Yes, and think how big a syringe you'd need!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

Not sure I fancy a loo full of descaler with an inflated balloon stuck
on the bottom... it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it so
stay in the ubend?

Maybe a bolloon full of water would be rather easier?

Isn't that a medical technique ;-)

Yes, and think how big a syringe you'd need!

Well, there is an old stirrup pump somewhere in the garage.

Chris