Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So - Do tradesmen use 'Trade' products?

Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 5:39*pm, "Ret." wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

In the case of shed paint, surely the latter. Contract is a more
useful term I think.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2011 17:39, Ret. wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

Yes, but they buy real trade products from trade suppliers.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of
'Trade Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it
- and a second coat will be necessary.
So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or
is it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same
sort of stuff that professionals use?

Yes they do, usually from builders or painters merchants because (as
recognised tradesmen) they usually get the stuff cheaper (and they get a
trade discount as well) - and they are usually trained to prepare the base
properly and use upto 3 coats of the stuff (1, mist coat as a base amd two
full coats to give coverage and body).

One coat of any paint rarely gives good coverage or longevity.

As for the "same sort of stuff" - it could be, unless B&Q have a contract
with the painte manufacturers to supply them with a cheaper (and thinner)
product.

As a matter of interest, some of the best results I have had is from
AkzoNobel trade paint which gives me a good coverage, and at least five
years between repaints on external works.

Hope this helps

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , .............
says...

Ret. wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Thanks for that.

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 5:39 pm, "Ret." wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

In the case of shed paint, surely the latter. Contract is a more
useful term I think.

I agree contract white is a good cover emulsion ... use it as first coat on
all walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ret.
writes
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

I tride some B&Q trade emulsion once

never again ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

I agree contract white is a good cover emulsion ... use it as first coat
on all walls.

Pricewise how do they compare? I see white matt emulsion at GBP10/10 litres
in the sheds and on DIY the labour of two coats is less of a cost than a
tradesman at 20 quid and hour.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Ret.
writes
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

I tride some B&Q trade emulsion once

never again ...

I usually stick with Dulux or Crown. Maybe there are better ones on "proper
shops" but the above are generally predicable and get the job done. Been
very impressed with the Dulux Bathroom range (ceiling and walls). Not great
coverage, needed mist+3 coats on the ceiling, but has stayed put and washes
easily without a hint of any degradation.

"Endurance" matt is not too bad. It will colour the cloth if you rub it too
hard when washing and you cannot get every mark off (well, it's matt) but
you cannot easily take it all off in 5 wipes, unlike the "landlord's
magnolia" in my old rented house.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:

Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

Any 'professional' painter would not use the rubbish paint from B+Q,
they would have accounts at Crown/Dulux/Brewers etc, and get their
quality paint delivered to them.(ring before 9am, and they deliver for
free same day)

It is a false economy using cheap paint, as anyone who does it for a
living knows.

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 07:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
Ret. wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

Any 'professional' painter would not use the rubbish paint from B+Q,
they would have accounts at Crown/Dulux/Brewers etc, and get their
quality paint delivered to them.(ring before 9am, and they deliver for
free same day)

It is a false economy using cheap paint, as anyone who does it for a
living knows.

Alan

I recently had to decorate a fairly newly skimmed wall and bought a
tub of a "trade" emulsion from B&Q to use as a diluted mist coat. I
was very surprised at the coverage, as even diluted it made a much
better job of covering the skim than I ever imagined it would. So I
guess there is some paint to be had that is OK.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

I buy basic colours of trade emulsion from our local builders merchant and
it is as good as the branded. They will even use the white as base for mixed
colours and it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than the branded. Trouble
is several mixed colours call for a base other than white, and the trade
stuff only comes in white and magnolia.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 7:59*am, (A.Lee) wrote:
Ret. wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

Any 'professional' painter would not use the rubbish paint from B+Q,
they would have accounts at Crown/Dulux/Brewers etc, and get their
quality paint delivered to them.(ring before 9am, and they deliver for
free same day)

It is a false economy using cheap paint, as anyone who does it for a
living knows.

Alan

Dulux is good stuff, and Leyland pretty good. There are other less
well known brands that are good too, like International, I cant really
think of the others I've encountered. Cheap trade paints I stay well
away from. The one job I used such stuff on once looked 6 years old
after just 6 months.

The only cheap paint that does last ok is lime paint. The finish isnt
the finest, its fine for outdoor masonry use, where white is ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:43:10 AM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:59*am, (A.Lee) wrote:
Ret. wrote:
[...]

All the decorators around here use Leyland, which I had never heard of. Went looking for it, there was a local leyland paint supplies. I was amazed at the coverage of the emulsion.
I had previously used B&Q emulsion, and I'm not joking to say I put on 5 coats and you could still see the plaster through it !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2011 22:43, Tim Watts wrote:
geoff wrote:

In , Ret.
writes
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

I tride some B&Q trade emulsion once

never again ...

I usually stick with Dulux or Crown. Maybe there are better ones on "proper
shops" but the above are generally predicable and get the job done. Been
very impressed with the Dulux Bathroom range (ceiling and walls). Not great
coverage, needed mist+3 coats on the ceiling, but has stayed put and washes
easily without a hint of any degradation.

I'm highly impressed with Wilkinsons One Coat emulsion and gloss.
Really good coverage & obliteration, cheap as chips. Their quick dry
primer/undercoat is good as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 5:39*pm, "Ret." wrote:
Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade
Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a
second coat will be necessary.

So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is
it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort
of stuff that professionals use?

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

We had a decorator come to do some work once, he finds Dulux trade
better so gave us his trade card so we could buy whatever colour
paints we wanted from the trade place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 7:59*am, (A.Lee) wrote:
Ret. wrote:
[...]

I should have stuck to Leyland. Last time I bought Dulux trade 'cos
the Leyland shop was shut. Big mistake. Took 3 coats and it still
looks patchy.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

I should have stuck to Leyland. Last time I bought Dulux trade 'cos
the Leyland shop was shut. Big mistake. Took 3 coats and it still
looks patchy.

I have not had that with regular Dulux, ever. Makes me suspicious that these
word like "trade" and "contract" are marketing bull****.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 14, 2011 11:06:45 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Mark wrote:

I should have stuck to Leyland. Last time I bought Dulux trade 'cos
the Leyland shop was shut. Big mistake. Took 3 coats and it still
looks patchy.

I have not had that with regular Dulux, ever. Makes me suspicious that these
word like "trade" and "contract" are marketing bull****.

Someone told me the trade emulsions are breathable to be painted onto slightly damp plaster.
Simon.