Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Is this a stoat?

http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

It's an ex-stoat.

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's an ex-stoat.

Ha-ha.

SWMBO says 'one squeak and a lot of shaking and it was an ex stoat'.

Terrier does the same with rabbits. Instant snapped spine and that's it.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
It's an ex-stoat.

Ha-ha.

SWMBO says 'one squeak and a lot of shaking and it was an ex stoat'.

Terrier does the same with rabbits. Instant snapped spine and that's
it.

Back of the neck usually does the trick. I was walking my parents border the
other day and it got hold of and killed 8 rabbits. 6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's an ex-stoat.

Ha-ha.

SWMBO says 'one squeak and a lot of shaking and it was an ex stoat'.

Terrier does the same with rabbits. Instant snapped spine and that's
it.

Back of the neck usually does the trick. I was walking my parents border the
other day and it got hold of and killed 8 rabbits. 6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

No. Myxi is always prevalent. Terrier usually hoovers up those and
dispatches them quicker and more humanely than I can.

They are in fact edible - there is no risk.

Early stages they go lethargic: later stages they are blind and
relatively senseless. Poor buggers.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's an ex-stoat.

Ha-ha.

SWMBO says 'one squeak and a lot of shaking and it was an ex stoat'.

Terrier does the same with rabbits. Instant snapped spine and that's
it.

Back of the neck usually does the trick. I was walking my parents
border the other day and it got hold of and killed 8 rabbits. 6 of
them had myxo and I thought that was now a rarity.

No. Myxi is always prevalent. Terrier usually hoovers up those and
dispatches them quicker and more humanely than I can.

They are in fact edible - there is no risk.

Early stages they go lethargic: later stages they are blind and
relatively senseless. Poor buggers.

I was delighted when the border killed the ones with the Myxo/Myxi. (I use
the name Myxo but same thing)

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 5:32*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

If you cross a stoat with a Mink do you get a stink?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
It's an ex-stoat.

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
If you cross a stoat with a Mink do you get a stink?

A Moat, maybe?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 6:38*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
If you cross a stoat with a Mink *do you get a stink?

A Moat, maybe?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Nice see Tim again in the picture!
Lyn
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(

I hope you stamped on its head.

That's generally what I do. No fun dying of myxy.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(

It must do. A few years ago it was quite common. It must cycle like measles
does.

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
If you cross a stoat with a Mink do you get a stink?

A Moat, maybe?

You taser them.

--
Adam

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(

It must do. A few years ago it was quite common. It must cycle like
measles does.

It does.

We have hundreds of rabbits surrounding our school fields, every few
years they succumb to it very visibly, which distresses the kids
somewhat, being a primary school!

It's at this time I get my hands bloody, as it were, every day,
despatching those affected by it before the kids get here in the
mornings .. fortunately most rabbits are up before or around dawn, well
before the kids start arriving.

Whilst it's true that you _can_ eat the meat from a Myxi rabbit, I
never have, though I do love fresh rabbit .. 'specially when a good 'un
happens to cross my path!

I suspect (not scientific, just what I've seen over the years) that it
never truly goes away, just that some years many more rabbits succumb
to it than others. Dunno if it's truly cyclic or just 'one of those
things'.

--
Paul - xxx
Una vita - vitate

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

6 of them had myxo and I
thought that was now a rarity.

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(

It must do. A few years ago it was quite common. It must cycle like measles
does.

Its part of natural cycles..as rabbits breed, and return to crowded
burrows epidemics break out, and wipe out the burrowers.

Then low rabbit population = few myxy cases..rabbits breed, reinhabit
burrows = ripe for the next pandemic.

Many rabbits hit the burrows cos the winter was cold.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

[...]

I have, and it hasn't made me conspicuously worse than I usually am.

I suspect (not scientific, just what I've seen over the years) that it
never truly goes away, just that some years many more rabbits succumb
to it than others. Dunno if it's truly cyclic or just 'one of those
things'.

Its a chaotic cycle..like most populations that have reached the limits
of an ecological niche are.

Predators - and in this context a virus is exactly that - then take off
and decimate the population, dying back in their turn.

Its what is facing the human race right ow..die back to about 30 billion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 7:30*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

[...]

TNP, pleased the Terrier didn't get the black kittens when they lived
with you!
:-)

Lyn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Do you know how to tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lyndsay wrote:
On Oct 10, 7:30 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:32 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
[...]

Rufus set him right and so did Minimou. He bounced up and got a stony
stare and a hiss. Been very respectful of cats ever since.

Dogs are another matter: some he likes, some he ignores and some get
attacked. I have yet to establish the metaphysical ontology of small
terriers to identify which its going to be, on any given occasion.

Or perhaps its their owners.

Lyn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Do you know how to tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

You can weasly tell because they are stoatally different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 6:51*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It comes and goes. Saw one on a local path (South East Wales levels)
just last week. I walked 6" from it and it didn't even move. 8-(

I hope you stamped on its head.

Angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:11:31 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Do you know how to tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

One is weaselly identified, and the other is stoatally different.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 8:11*pm, Steve Firth wrote:
Do you know how to tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

Only one of them tastes like chicken?
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Sure looks like a ferret to me.

Why'd you set the followups?

Andy

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:45:30 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

Sure looks like a ferret to me.

Having now google imaged "ferret", it's a ferret.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Sure looks like a ferret to me.

Why'd you set the followups?

Andy

So that's why I didn't see my reply, agree ferret.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Do you know how to tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

You can weasly tell because they are stoatally different?

Give the man a see-gar.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Feral golden ferret,

What an apt description of Hazel.:-)

whilst the tail looks a bit dark it looks too big for a
stoat and the front isn't white.

Its within stoat dimensions.

Front of WHAT isn't white?

The mask isn't conspicuous so it hasn't
much polecat left in it.

I'll check its dentition.

That should settle the matter.

Hmm. I have to say the teeth are ferret.

And in a better light there is a vestigial mask.

I hope the bloke up the hill's kid isn't missing one..

Damn. could have kept it as a pet.

Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a
mile from any habitation except you.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2011 23:18, Phil L wrote:
Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a
mile from any habitation except you.

A bit harsh, Phil. TNP has his moments, but this wasn't one of them.

We've a ferret that's near-identical in length and coat to the one in
the picture, albeit fatter. And ferrets _love_ to roam - as anyone
who's ever taken one for walks (or has lost one - all too easily done)
knows painfully well. A mile or two is no challenge at all.

Jon
--
WATCH OUT FOR THE SPAM BLOCK!
Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email!

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
http://www.shaman.co.uk/stoat

If so its got its winter coat damned early.

But it doesn't seem to be a mink, polecat ferret or weasel..

Although the face is reminiscent of Hazel Blears..

Sure looks like a ferret to me.

Why'd you set the followups?

because for some bloody ridiculous reason albsani has a weird policy
that wont allow me to cross post to uk.d-i-y and cam.misc without so doing.

Andy

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
[...]

At least I have the decency to admit it when I do make a mistake.

I personally have NEVER seen a ferret that colour.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Jon Green wrote:
On 10/10/2011 23:18, Phil L wrote:
Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a
mile from any habitation except you.

A bit harsh, Phil. TNP has his moments, but this wasn't one of them.

We've a ferret that's near-identical in length and coat to the one in
the picture, albeit fatter. And ferrets _love_ to roam - as anyone
who's ever taken one for walks (or has lost one - all too easily done)
knows painfully well. A mile or two is no challenge at all.

How about 350 yards downhill across a field...into prime bunny hunting
territory.:-(

Must have been roaming in the warm sunshine, and couldn't find a
bunny-lunch or find its way home.

Jon

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
If you cross a stoat with a Mink *do you get a stink?

A Moat, maybe?

And what do you cross a moat with...Ahh yes a drawbridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Jon Green wrote:
On 10/10/2011 23:18, Phil L wrote:
Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a
mile from any habitation except you.

A bit harsh, Phil. TNP has his moments, but this wasn't one of
them.
We've a ferret that's near-identical in length and coat to the one
in the picture, albeit fatter. And ferrets _love_ to roam - as
anyone who's ever taken one for walks (or has lost one - all too
easily done) knows painfully well. A mile or two is no challenge at all.

How about 350 yards downhill across a field...into prime bunny hunting
territory.:-(

Must have been roaming in the warm sunshine, and couldn't find a
bunny-lunch or find its way home.

More likely left behind by some amateur rabbiters unwilling to wait
while it finished baby rabbit lunch.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
[...]

I have.

I have an idea my father's Ferrets were albino and had pink eyes.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Jon Green" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/10/2011 23:18, Phil L wrote:
Don't be a prat. Its nothing like a ferret, and it was at least half a
mile from any habitation except you.

A bit harsh, Phil. TNP has his moments, but this wasn't one of them.

We've a ferret that's near-identical in length and coat to the one in the
picture, albeit fatter. And ferrets _love_ to roam - as anyone who's ever
taken one for walks (or has lost one - all too easily done) knows
painfully well. A mile or two is no challenge at all.

I think if you read back up thread a bit you will find this is a quote
derived from a usually reliable source central to the conversation :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Oct,
"Paul - xxx" wrote:

I suspect (not scientific, just what I've seen over the years) that it
never truly goes away, just that some years many more rabbits succumb
to it than others. Dunno if it's truly cyclic or just 'one of those
things'.

When there are few rabbits they don't burrow. So mixi is almost non-existant.
So they breed like... rabbits. Population high, they burrow, share fleas and
get mixi. Population drops. mixi diminishes....ad nauseum....

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply