Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Creocote" wood preservvative - Any good?

I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,
because it stays wet on the surface for a long time, but the hue it imparts
to white wood is quite attractive, IMO. (I'm using the dark version).

It smells very similar to creosote.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2011 15:36, AL_n wrote:
I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,
because it stays wet on the surface for a long time, but the hue it imparts
to white wood is quite attractive, IMO. (I'm using the dark version).

It smells very similar to creosote.

Al

Judging by the Wickes safety data sheet it's still pretty evil stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 3:36*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,
because it stays wet on the surface for a long time, but the hue it imparts
to white wood is quite attractive, IMO. (I'm using the dark version).

It smells very similar to creosote.

Al

I have used it. Only time will tell if it's any good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote#Health_effects
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"AL_n" wrote:

I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,
because it stays wet on the surface for a long time, but the hue it imparts
to white wood is quite attractive, IMO. (I'm using the dark version).

It smells very similar to creosote.

Yeah, it's alright -- and if you've been given a gallon good for you:
all this stuff costs a fortune now! ("It's the oil crisis innit?")

Smells good and looks good, and IMHO better than all the even more
expensive fancy-pants preservatives marketed in all their splendid
variety in the garden centres. As you say: needs to weather out
properly, before you sit on it.

--

I got hold of some _proper_ creosote earlier this year - a 20 litre
drum, same price as Creocote unfortunately. It's still sold for

Harry quoted the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote
which I'd read after getting my "proper stuff" -- it's a fascinating
read. Also written by the creosote industry perhaps: sounds like the
miracle substance! OK by me anyway.

John

[1] As everyone knows, this popular and ancient preservative was
discovered (in perhaps the 90s?) by some[busy]body in the EU actually
to have properties little different to those of plutonium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2011 15:36, AL_n wrote:
I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,
because it stays wet on the surface for a long time, but the hue it imparts
to white wood is quite attractive, IMO. (I'm using the dark version).

It smells very similar to creosote.

Al

I used some on a back fence that has been previously treated with the
real stuff.
Looking from my desk I can see green algae all over the horizontal rails.
It wasn't treated all that long ago (2 or 3 years)

I've looked after? both this and a larger side fence for 25 years.
they are somewhat overhung the dreaded sycamore trees. I don't intend to
use 'Creocote' again.

Jim Chisholm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 5:58*pm, Another John wrote:
In article ,

*"AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Well it is, in terms of preservation. The rest is all bad.

The idea that preserving wood 10x as often, using 10x as much modern
ineffective preservative, transport, oil etc etc is a green option is
a degree of idiocy only a government could manage.

What I now want to know is how to stabilise zinc and copper in
creocote, then itll last longer.

[1] As everyone knows, this popular and ancient preservative was
discovered (in perhaps the 90s?) *by some[busy]body in the EU actually
to have properties little different to those of plutonium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 9:09*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Another John wrote in news:lalaw44-
:

[1] As everyone knows, this popular and ancient preservative was
discovered (in perhaps the 90s?) *by some[busy]body in the EU actually
to have properties little different to those of plutonium.

I find it strange that creosote is (or was) used medicinally!

There is creosote made from coal and croesote made from wood, it's the
latter is used medicinally ASFIK Completely different stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct 2011 14:36:51 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I acquired a gallon of "Creocote", the oil-based substutute for creosote. I
wonder if it is any good, as compared to other preservatives. Does anyone
have any experienc of it? It does seem relatively messy to work with,

Can only compare it with creosote - I reckon I have to re-coat the
bike shed (creocote) twice as often as the garden sheds (old creosote
dwindling stock).
About the same "messiness" as creosote. Old clothes required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Creocote is still carcinogenic so why not use the real thing creosote?