Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New drivers

On 05/10/2011 21:03, brass monkey wrote:
wrote in message
I also think they've shortened the mirror, signal, manoeuvre to manoeuvre.

Or commonly - manoeuvre, signal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I also think they've shortened the mirror, signal, manoeuvre to
manoeuvre.

Or commonly - manoeuvre, signal.

As (typically seen on motorways) when the driver who has just barged
into your lane in front of you far too close for comfort and without any
prior warning eventually returns to the lane from whence he/she came.

Incidentally when I learnt to drive some 50 years ago I was taught that
a signal indicated a wish to carry out some manoeuvre, not that the
driver was/was about to carry out some manoeuvre regardless of his/her
right of way or, indeed, that they had just successfully carried out
said manoeuvre.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I also think they've shortened the mirror, signal, manoeuvre to
manoeuvre.

Or commonly - manoeuvre, signal.

As (typically seen on motorways) when the driver who has just barged
into your lane in front of you far too close for comfort and without any
prior warning eventually returns to the lane from whence he/she came.

Incidentally when I learnt to drive some 50 years ago I was taught that
a signal indicated a wish to carry out some manoeuvre, not that the
driver was/was about to carry out some manoeuvre regardless of his/her
right of way or, indeed, that they had just successfully carried out
said manoeuvre.

It seems now to be more of an indication that the driver signalling
wishes to be blocked from carrying out the manoeuvre. That's what
happens when I signal in Britain, at any rate.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I also think they've shortened the mirror, signal, manoeuvre to
manoeuvre.

Or commonly - manoeuvre, signal.

That's so if an accident results they can say "yes, but I had my
indicators on" :/

aka "semi-controlled drift into traffic with delayed visual indication"...

It's worse over here because so many cars just pulse the brake lights
rather than having separate indicators at the rear, so there's a very
brief time where you have to decide if the driver is actually signalling
or merely slowing down (and/or has faulty brake lights). That's assuming
they have functioning lights at all - there's no equivalent of an MOT
here, and some vehicle owners aren't particularly good at maintaining
working lights.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I also think they've shortened the mirror, signal, manoeuvre to
manoeuvre.

Or commonly - manoeuvre, signal.

That's so if an accident results they can say "yes, but I had my
indicators on" :/

aka "semi-controlled drift into traffic with delayed visual
indication"...

It's worse over here because so many cars just pulse the brake lights
rather than having separate indicators at the rear, so there's a very
brief time where you have to decide if the driver is actually
signalling or merely slowing down (and/or has faulty brake lights).
That's assuming they have functioning lights at all - there's no
equivalent of an MOT here, and some vehicle owners aren't
particularly good at maintaining working lights.

cheers

Jules

Where is 'here', in your case?
-
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:54:13 +0100, Davey wrote:
It's worse over here because so many cars just pulse the brake lights
rather than having separate indicators at the rear, so there's a very
brief time where you have to decide if the driver is actually
signalling or merely slowing down (and/or has faulty brake lights).
That's assuming they have functioning lights at all - there's no
equivalent of an MOT here, and some vehicle owners aren't particularly
good at maintaining working lights.

Where is 'here', in your case?

Northern Minnesota, US - home to ridiculous amounts of snow and deer (I
think there's about one deer to every five people, and around 6% of all
reported crashes are due to deer impacts)

cheers

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:54:13 +0100, Davey wrote:
It's worse over here because so many cars just pulse the brake lights
rather than having separate indicators at the rear, so there's a very
brief time where you have to decide if the driver is actually
signalling or merely slowing down (and/or has faulty brake lights).
That's assuming they have functioning lights at all - there's no
equivalent of an MOT here, and some vehicle owners aren't particularly
good at maintaining working lights.

Where is 'here', in your case?

Northern Minnesota, US - home to ridiculous amounts of snow and deer (I
think there's about one deer to every five people, and around 6% of all
reported crashes are due to deer impacts)

cheers

J.

get a rifle and fill the freezer Jules!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:21:17 +0000 (UTC)
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:54:13 +0100, Davey wrote:
It's worse over here because so many cars just pulse the brake
lights rather than having separate indicators at the rear, so
there's a very brief time where you have to decide if the driver
is actually signalling or merely slowing down (and/or has faulty
brake lights). That's assuming they have functioning lights at all
- there's no equivalent of an MOT here, and some vehicle owners
aren't particularly good at maintaining working lights.

Where is 'here', in your case?

Northern Minnesota, US - home to ridiculous amounts of snow and deer
(I think there's about one deer to every five people, and around 6%
of all reported crashes are due to deer impacts)

cheers

J.

Been there, in winter. Bloody cold it was. I hit my deer outside Fort
Wayne, Indiana.
So how's Lake Wobegon these days?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 23:08:43 +0100, Davey wrote:
Northern Minnesota, US - home to ridiculous amounts of snow and deer (I
think there's about one deer to every five people, and around 6% of all
reported crashes are due to deer impacts)

Been there, in winter. Bloody cold it was.

Yeah, -30 not uncommon at all, and colder still isn't unheard of. Heating
bills get a bit interesting. It's unusually warm at the moment though -
80 degrees the last few days. I think we had snow on the ground by this
time last year.

I hit my deer outside Fort Wayne, Indiana.

So far I've escaped clouting one, although my wife got a fawn last year
with the car and it's still showing some of the scars...

Our van's got some deer battle damage too, but that was at the hands of
the previous owners. Several of the car repair places around here give
out prizes for worst damage caused by deer impact :-)

So how's Lake Wobegon these days?

I'll let you know if I ever find it ;-)

cheers

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2011 00:17, Jules Richardson wrote:
So far I've escaped clouting one, although my wife got a fawn last year
with the car and it's still showing some of the scars...

That's a very lucky deer. Usually the impact kills them.

Andy :P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:49:21 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

On 07/10/2011 00:17, Jules Richardson wrote:
So far I've escaped clouting one, although my wife got a fawn last year
with the car and it's still showing some of the scars...

That's a very lucky deer. Usually the impact kills them.

:-) I'm not sure if it survived or not - wifey had hit the anchors and
had almost stopped at the time, so it was very low-speed, but the impact
was hard enough to break the grille and bend one of the headlamp brackets
out of line. The deer got up and wandered off back into the woods, but it
wouldn't surprise me if there weren't broken ribs etc. involved.

She bagged a pigeon a few months before that, and most of that made it
through to the engine bay. Messy.

At least we don't get many moose around here :-)

cheers

J.

New drivers Hugh Jampton UK diy 115 October 8th 11 11:59 PM
New drivers airsmoothed UK diy 33 October 7th 11 04:15 PM
New drivers PeterC UK diy 0 October 6th 11 08:14 AM
New drivers Peter Parry UK diy 0 October 5th 11 10:17 PM
Drivers on more than just the CPU Steven Graham Electronics 0 October 1st 06 03:37 PM