Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fixing plasterboard backed celotex

Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

When this was previously discussed a plastic insert, like a frame fixing
with a large head was mentioned and a foam rather than dot and dab
adhesive, can anyone let me have some links?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 10:35*pm, andrew wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

When this was previously discussed a plastic insert, like a frame fixing
with a large head was mentioned and a foam rather than dot and dab
adhesive, can anyone let me have some links?

AJH

http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/i...-products.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew writes:

Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

When this was previously discussed a plastic insert, like a frame fixing
with a large head was mentioned

Do you mean these:
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...port/cat840110
?

I dont think they are necessary for insulation backed
plasterboard.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 10:35*pm, andrew wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

When this was previously discussed a plastic insert, like a frame fixing
with a large head was mentioned and a foam rather than dot and dab
adhesive, can anyone let me have some links?

AJH

http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDe...roductID=16231
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Dry+...oam+Fix/p60449

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you mean these:http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...on-support/cat...
?

I don’t think they are necessary for insulation backed
plasterboard.

no they aren't if the insulation is already glued to the pboard...

if the two layers are not you could do it this way or easier just
stick the sheets together first with spray glue:-

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd2340/p40004

whichever before plastering there should be a couple of long frame
fixings per 8X4 through the 2 layers into the wall behind to help the
pboards stay up in a fire (poss as people are trying to get out past
them)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/11 22:35, andrew wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

When this was previously discussed a plastic insert, like a frame fixing
with a large head was mentioned and a foam rather than dot and dab
adhesive, can anyone let me have some links?

AJH

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/...IP%20DRY%20FIX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 10:35*pm, andrew wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

not wishing to be a smartass, but AIUI if you strip off the old
plaster (more than 25% of the area) you will tecnically have
"interfered with a thermal unit". then you have to insulate it up to
today's building regs which needs more than 50mm celotex.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/11 15:29, RobertL wrote:
On Sep 28, 10:35 pm, wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

not wishing to be a smartass, but AIUI if you strip off the old
plaster (more than 25% of the area) you will tecnically have
"interfered with a thermal unit". then you have to insulate it up to
today's building regs which needs more than 50mm celotex.

Robert

and you'll make a huge mess to save an inch-
why not glue onto the existing wall?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 3:29 pm, RobertL wrote:
On Sep 28, 10:35 pm, andrew wrote:

Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

not wishing to be a smartass, but AIUI if you strip off the old
plaster (more than 25% of the area) you will tecnically have
"interfered with a thermal unit". then you have to insulate it up to
today's building regs which needs more than 50mm celotex.

Robert

but wouldn't sticking up insulated pboard (with the old plaster still
in situ) also count as "interfering with a thermal unit"?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:

and you'll make a huge mess to save an inch-
why not glue onto the existing wall?

The house had a fire somewhen in the 40s and much of the sand cement has
failed so the plaster has spalled in places. I expect they skimped on
cement for the rebuild due to rationing.

Thanks all for all the links.

Robert what would be the depth of celotex on a 9" brick wall be to meet
building regs?

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2011 15:29, RobertL wrote:
On Sep 28, 10:35 pm, wrote:
Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

not wishing to be a smartass, but AIUI if you strip off the old
plaster (more than 25% of the area) you will tecnically have
"interfered with a thermal unit". then you have to insulate it up to
today's building regs which needs more than 50mm celotex.

only if you tell the BCO... ;-)

(in fact insulating alone probably becomes notifiable after a certain
area is reached)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

(in fact insulating alone probably becomes notifiable after a certain
area is reached)

So they should be notified whether I strip plaster or not?

I may stretch to 60mm of insulation but it's already a small house and I'll
do one room at a time.

One of the things about LA cutbacks is that the policing of planning and
building regs has gone out the window.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 9:02 pm, andrew wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
(in fact insulating alone probably becomes notifiable after a certain
area is reached)

So they should be notified whether I strip plaster or not?

technically yes,

who is going to know/prove when you did it though?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:43:59 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

So they should be notified whether I strip plaster or not?

technically yes,

who is going to know/prove when you did it though?

Otoh, I'd like to think (though I'm probably wrong) that the total
amount of insulation retro-fitted to older houses will be summed and
presented as an overall figure for Govt number crunchers to do their
bit with. So, in that respect, every little bit counts towards a new,
green, eco-friendly load of old toss... err... EU target.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , andrew
writes
John Rumm wrote:

(in fact insulating alone probably becomes notifiable after a certain
area is reached)

So they should be notified whether I strip plaster or not?

I may stretch to 60mm of insulation but it's already a small house and I'll
do one room at a time.

One of the things about LA cutbacks is that the policing of planning and
building regs has gone out the window.

Never does any harm to hang a dustsheet at the window to avoid prying
eyes and don't have a skip outside if not notifying.

People occasionally get caught if a BCO happens to pass on the way to
work and gets curious.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 5:02*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Sep 29, 3:29 pm, RobertL wrote:

On Sep 28, 10:35 pm, andrew wrote:

Because of my silly oversight in booking the screeders at work I have a
young and talented plasterer to find work for. I also have my solid wall to
insulate. The plan is to rapidly remove the existing plaster and dot and
dab 50mm celotex type insulation and 12mm plasterboard.

not wishing to be a smartass, but AIUI *if you strip off the old
plaster (more than 25% of the area) you will tecnically have
"interfered with a thermal unit". *then you have to insulate it up to
today's building regs which needs more than 50mm celotex.

Robert

but wouldn't sticking up insulated pboard (with the old plaster still
in situ) also count as "interfering with a thermal unit"?

As i understood it if you are adding insulation to an existign wall
then you can justify any thckness on the basis that the net carbon
footprint is improved.

if you are aadding it becuase you must (having interfered by rmeoving
the plaster) then you must meet regs - impovement in carbon footprint
i not enough.

I camw across this when I wanted to insulate a wall and use it to
mitigate the use of a non-standard window elsewhere. If I had
stripped off the plaster then the insulation would be compulsioy so I
couldn't use it in mitigation. I had to leave the old plaster there.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick of course, and maybe, being
realistic, it might be acedemic in the OP's case.

Robert

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
and you'll make a huge mess to save an inch-
why not glue onto the existing wall?

The house had a fire somewhen in the 40s and much of the sand cement has
failed so the plaster has spalled in places. I expect they skimped on
cement for the rebuild due to rationing.

Thanks all for all the links.

Robert what would be the depth of celotex on a 9" brick wall be to meet
building regs?

IIRC, about 70mm.

There;s a nice calculator on the celotex (or was it the Kingspan)
website, but I remember it being 100mmm for the current wall U value
requirement.

Robert