Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing vented HW/CH cylinder, move to unvented a good idea?

On Sep 27, 5:14*pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 27/09/2011 17:02, charles wrote:

In article
, harry
*wrote:
On Sep 27, 4:36 pm, *wrote:
In , * *Rob
*wrote:

On 27-09-2011 16:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sep 27, 2:34 pm, * wrote: No free solar
heating.

Jonathan
Care to explain further? Vented tank will have a solar coil and
unvented tank will also have a solar coil. They are both compatible
with a solar thermal system. Probably have a 20 tube 58mm diameter
panel installed. Once installed the water heating will be free,
unless I will be getting a bill from Mr Sun for absorbed radiation?

interesting thing I noticed last winter. *While all the other houses
had thick snow on the roof, those with solar water heating panels had
virtually none, since the system appeared to work backwards. (taking
heat from the house and warming the outside)

I don't think so.

Yes, it happened. Unfortunately, I was on my local Christmas card delivery
and didn't have a camera with me. *The problem affected 5 new-build houses
which were intended to be very energy saving.

On a solar DHW install we did at the last house, the controller had an
'anti-freeze' option which would run the circulating pump when the panel
temperature dropped below a certain preset level (think it was -3c by
default).
The logic was that it was better to 'waste' some heat from the DHW
cylinder than to replace a frozen/burst collector...
Maybe that's what you were seeing...?

Adrian- Hide quoted text -

It's normal to have the circuit filled with anti-freeze solution, as
is mine, or to have it drain down when the pump is not running.
The idea of running it while cold is ridiculous.
http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_d...ID=65&catID=76