Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. New transformer.

The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.

Ah, but the joy of the lights staying bright when you turn on the
microwave..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 6:47*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer *at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.

* Ah, but the joy of the lights staying bright when you turn on the
microwave..

How it could have gone wrong....
http://teslamania.delete.org/frames/mpg/XfrmBlast1.mpg

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.

Is that going to become your nocturnal source of electricity then?

You might as well - go on, wellies and washing up gloves and you'll be
fine
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.

I did a lot of live jointing in past .... being a hole surrounded by water
and wet earth ... was interesting ... however scariest I came across was
live jointing on DC traction feeds - and I was only watching.
At least with AC it throws you away ... DC you stay & crisp up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 11:13*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

The electric company has just fitted a new pole transformer *at the
bottom of my garden.
Done the whole job live at 11,000 volts , an hours work.
Personally I kept well out of the way.
Gives you the creeps just watching them work.

I did a lot of live jointing in past .... being a *hole surrounded by water
and wet earth ... *was interesting ... however scariest I came across was
live jointing on DC traction feeds *- and I was only watching.
At least with AC it throws you away ... DC you stay & crisp up.

When I was an apprenctice at the electricity board we worked on 660v
DC for trolley buses. They were looking for someone to work live on
mercury arc rectiifers.( 415v wascommonly worked on live.) I seem to
remember there was a twelve phase transformer involved.
Nobody would do it live, they thought it was too dangerous.

Talking of trolleybuses, went to the Black Country museum a couple of
weeks back. (Old fart's bus trip). They have trolley buses there but
now not running, someone's has nicked the copper overhead wires. £10
grands worth apparently.

Tram is still running. For now.

Also went in the canal mines, they have electric boats.
Lots of other stuff. Worth a visit.

They have a full sized coal mine made out of GRP. You'd never know
until you tap it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 7:36*am, harry wrote:

They have a full sized coal mine made out of GRP. *You'd never know
until you tap it.

Definitely not a smokeless fuel.